GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed 2 days ago after we had a lot of rain come through that the front and rear passenger side of my car was wet. I could push on the carpet and water would come up. I took it to the dealership to get a diagnostic on it and they couldn’t find anything without pulling the seat and carpet. They did say that the ac drain wasn’t clogged and they couldn’t find water leaking around any door seals. I decided to just pick it up and do the work myself. Today I got the passenger seat out as well as the carpet. Dried up all the wet spots on the floor and used a water hose to test the upper right corner of the passenger side since it looked like it stayed the wettest the most based on the discoloration of the floor welds in that location. During the test I noticed the little bit of carpet that’s attached to the firewall way under the front passenger floorboard would get really saturated after I initially dried it out. Once wet enough it would leak in that upper right corner of the passenger side. I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar issue as I’ve search around and seem to have checked all the usual culprits out? I removed the wiper arm and cowl to check the drain right below the air intake that can sometimes get clogged but mine was allowing water to drain fine. I’m just out of ideas to where the water could be coming in at or how. I included some pictures to show to carpet material that is absorbing the water. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

IMG_1661.jpg IMG_1662.jpg

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read that reddit post and it looks like they had a problem with the sealant in the corner pocket under the cowl. This could be my problem however we just had a rain storm and I've attached a couple of more pictures. One looks like there is a crack in the sealant in the upper right corner of the floorboard on the passenger side. The other shows a small water droplet up higher from that crack in the sealant. So still not totally sure where the water is coming in from.

IMG_1668.jpg IMG_1669.jpg IMG_1671.jpg

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
I wonder if you could use water colored with a dye and carefully pour it into the suspected area to see if it drips through? It seems like there is a gap or crack that is allowing the water in, but locating and sealing may require more parts removal. Sealing with silicon on the inside may just dam up the water causing rust. It would b better to have a seal on the outside to prevent that. Plus, the blocked water may just find another entrance as water has a habit of doing.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Wow I call that a stream! With that much flow you should be able to trace it once you can get a clearer view.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it is! I’m going to try to remove the glove box assembly to see if I can get a better view. Looks like the Gen 2 volts have 5 or 6 small hex bolts to remove the whole assemble. Not sure how easy the Gen 1 will be though. Can’t find a video online of anybody removing it from a Gen 1.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Yeah it is! I’m going to try to remove the glove box assembly to see if I can get a better view. Looks like the Gen 2 volts have 5 or 6 small hex bolts to remove the whole assemble. Not sure how easy the Gen 1 will be though. Can’t find a video online of anybody removing it from a Gen 1.
The Gen 1 glove box can be removed fairly easily. That's how you access the cabin air filter. It's covered in our FAQ's https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?33873-Install-Cabin-Air-Filter

Not sure if that will help see the source, but can't hurt to look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so after getting a good part of the passenger side dash removed I was able to make enough room to pull up the upper “carpet” material to see a seam where the water was coming in. This occurred when I used the water hose in the passenger side corner under the cowl. I’ve attached a video showing the water leaking in the best I could and the location where the water hose was sprayed. Do you think I need to just remove that old sealant in the corner much like the reddit thread describing a similar leak? Or does it need to be sealed from both outside and inside where the water is coming in? I would think you would only want to seal up the outside but any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

https://youtu.be/EQq6eyRb2fo

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
I'd want to seal it on the outside, especially since the water is coming through plain plain metal seams inside the car. Sealing there will likely route the water elsewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. I used some Dynatron seam sealer. I’ll do a water test in a couple days after it’s dried really good. Hopefully that solves the problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you find it ?
I’ve found 3 so far,all In the same place and the guy on reddit was one in the states I told about it.
There’s a workshop report on the bulkhead that leaks.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Did you find it ?
I’ve found 3 so far,all In the same place and the guy on reddit was one in the states I told about it.
There’s a workshop report on the bulkhead that leaks.
Do you mean a TSB (technical service bulletin)? If so, somebody here with an SPS subscription should be able to download a copy of it and post it here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did not find it unfortunately. I’ve narrowed it down to that corner under the cowl but we just recently had a rain storm and it leaked yet again. It’s been sealed all the way from the corner down to the small fender vent. Just ridiculous I even have to deal with this. But next step is to apply sealant under the cowl towards the middle of car just before I get to the drain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess if I never find where the water is entering in from then I’ll just continue to drive around without a passenger side carpet or seat. If you do have a bulletin or something I could take to a dealership so they would know what to fix that would be very helpful. Thanks

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
I did not find it unfortunately. I’ve narrowed it down to that corner under the cowl but we just recently had a rain storm and it leaked yet again. It’s been sealed all the way from the corner down to the small fender vent. Just ridiculous I even have to deal with this. But next step is to apply sealant under the cowl towards the middle of car just before I get to the drain.

Water leaks can be like that. The water enters here but eventually exists there. Not always a straight shot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts