GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. We've had a LOT of rain lately here in NC, and now there is quite a bit of water in the driver's side taillight housing.

1) Do any of y'all know how to dry it out without taking off the bumper? (The posts I've seen on here about changing the taillight LED bar seem to say you have to take off the bumper to get into the housing.)

2) Once I get it dry, how do I keep water out?

Seriously, I live in the South, y'all. I can't take the bumper off every time we get a "little" rain. Even our regular, summer-afternoon kind of thunderstorm sometimes blows rain sideways, and hurricane season is just starting up.

The lights are working fine so far, but I figure they won't work very long if I don't get it dry in there. (Funny how water and electric parts don't play nicely together.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
694 Posts
I had the same issue on one of the taillights when I had my 2014. The cause is from an improper seal between the lens and rear housing of the unit. In my case, I had it changed while under the B2B warranty. It will dry out on it's own over a few dry days. If you want to stop it permanently, you'll have to pull the housing and seal around or re-glue the lens.

As to the process to pull it out, I don't know. You can always spend $20 to gain a 3 day subscription to the service manual and print out the instructions from there.
ACDelco TDS

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had water in my passenger side rear tail light of my 2012 volt for probably a year now and it keeps functioning.I thought mine was due to a crack and I sealed it with gorilla glue but alas the water has not vented or drained on its own.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. We have decided to add an aftermarket backup camera, which will involve taking off the bumper, too. When we do that, we'll work on the tail light housing. We'll try to post an update then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts