GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled my 2 week old 2017 into a parking space this morning and scraped against a curb: it tore an inch wide piece out of the sidewall. I actually watched leaves blow away from the car as it deflated. The dealer was great and found one of the three OEM tires (Michelin Energy Savers) in the area, and the OnStar tow was free, so a few hours and a couple hundred $ later I have my car back. Probably just bad luck, but still... might want to be a little extra careful with those stock tires. And now I'll go review the threads on spare tire options for the Volt...

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I checked with our local Chevy dealer here in Warrenton Oregon, Ocean Crest Chevrolet. The spare tire kit for the 2016-17 Volt is something like $500.00. Seems way over priced in my book.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Must have been a piece of jagged rock or glass embedded in the concrete so a bit of bad luck but it is never good to rub up against curbs of any kind. Of course, as I age, I hit more of them is seems, especially in parking lots. I intentionally now try to give myself a little extra room because of that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yep. A few weeks into owning my Volt, I made a right turn into a driveway and blipped the incline of the curb just slightly, and POP!, the tire blew a hole in its shoulder. Had to get towed out since I don't have a spare. The tire shop put a loaner tire and had me come back the next day for the exact replacement.

I was very surprised because it popped like a water balloon. I've blipped real low curbs like this in my previous cars without ever having an issue.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I wonder if its all due to the lower profile tires on the 2016-17 Volt compared to the last Gen 1 volt.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I found tire warranty to be the one thing the dealer didn't try to upsell, but it likely the one you'll actually need.

Something to consider for a couple bucks per tire.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I found tire warranty to be the one thing the dealer didn't try to upsell, but it likely the one you'll actually need.

Something to consider for a couple bucks per tire.
Yes. I rarely buy those extended warranties but after my tire popped three weeks into owning the car, I bought the tire warranty from the national chain tire shop. Cheap and and some peace of mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts