GM Volt Forum banner

Watch ANY video or movie in the new Bolt EV!

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  vaylen 
#1 ·
I have researched and tested and have found the proper solution to playing any movie or video on the Bolt center display by pushing the Gallery button.

First, the movie/video must be in MP4 Format, and only a couple of resolutions will play.
The preferable resolution is 1280 by 720 pixels, which will display and use nearly the entire screen.
higher resolutions will not work. Slightly lower standard resolutions may work, but the picture is too small on the screen.

Unfortunately, very few Utube videos or movies are in the desired resolution.

Fortunately, there is a high quality Freeware program available that can convert virtually all other format videos to the desired 1280 by 720 MP4 format. It is: HD Video Converter Factory, by WonderFox.

It is exceptionally easy to use. You select the video to convert. Then you select the MP4 format. Then you slide the selector to the 720P resolution. Then you click the RUN button. It will remember the MP4 format after the first one, but you have to re-select the 720P resolution for each file.

If you wish, you can purchase the Pro version of the program for $25, which allows even higher resolutions, including 1280P and 4k ones, as well as allowing you drag/drop batches of files to be converted.

In addition, WonderFox has DVDRipper Pro for an additional $10, which can convert DVDs and ISO images to any video format.

See less See more
#3 ·
Back in the old days (first decade of the 21st century) LCD displays in cars were a real novelty and having the ability to display photos or videos in the car was a big thrill. However, today there are so many smartphones, laptops, and tablets available, and many of them fairly cheap with high res displays, why would anyone try to watch a video on the Volt display?

#4 ·
Because 10" is bigger than 5". :)
This is not meant to be a sexual innuendo. :)

#5 ·
Can I assume the video does not play while the car is moving? My Volt will play videos from a USB stick while in Park. In Drive or L, only the audio continues. I put several 720p movies on a USB stick for when the car is in Park, and I have to run into the store, the kids can watch something on the screen.

#6 ·
I put a 1280x720 mp4 file on a thumb drive but when the Bolt sees the drive it shows the directory without anything in it. When I put a mp4 file on the drive that is 1920x1080 the Bolt won't even read the drive and pull up the directory. So it likes 720 enough to show the empty directory, just not show the file in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.