GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

It appears that WA state residents, among residents of some other states can not currently purchase GMPP extended warranties from the wholesale dealers across state lines. I found many good leads on this forum for dealerships selling them at good rates, but it looks like I may need to try to find one in WA state. Has anyone found a dealer that offers a reasonable rate, rather than the ridiculous amount that they try to charge at the time of purchase at some dealerships?

I'm coming close to both 12mos and 12K miles, and would rather not wait to see what the next 2 years bring in terms of purchasing right before the 36month mark....but don't want to grossly overpay.

Any advice would be appreciated if you've contacted any WA state dealers....thanks much!

·
Administrator
21,460 Posts
Call and email WA state dealers

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Contact Dennis Fichtner over on the Corvette Forum. He is by far the premier seller of GMPP's in the USA. Not only does he sell hundreds GMPP each month he had never been beat on price.

I'm a charter member of the Corvette Forum aka AFVETTE.

Trust me on this.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
When I saw this post I was dubious because a state cannot prohibit a business from another state from selling into the state -- there is this thing called the Interstate Commerce Clause (which does not BTW give legal support Obamacare. Oh wait, that was last year! LOL). It does however, prevent states from discriminating against out of state businesses.

It seems though that GM has not completed the legal review of its GMPP plan for several states, including Washington. You can find a discussion of the issue here, at the Black Cadillac web site, the cite to which was provided by USe-car: http://www.jamesblackcadillac.com/salestax.html If you have an out of state residence then they can sell you one there. Otherwise you have to stick with state dealers. Theoretically GM is working on the legal review so this is temporary.

Bummer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies all.... I didn't want to bore anyone with why I can't get one out of state right at the moment , and I did check out the site mentioned above, etc....what I am hoping for is some detail from anyone in WA that may have priced a plan and got a decent quote....I am running out of time quickly and I doubt GM's lawyers will be done with their review soon enough....so much for waiting unil 11mo! If anyone has specific info for WA I'd much appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Contact Dennis Fichtner over on the Corvette Forum. He is by far the premier seller of GMPP's in the USA. Not only does he sell hundreds GMPP each month he had never been beat on price.

I'm a charter member of the Corvette Forum aka AFVETTE.

Trust me on this.
I just contacted Dennis on the 2011, we shall see what he comes back with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greetings all, I had no idea my post was still circulating....anyway, Bud Clary Chevrolet in Longview, WA had the best price that I found of all dealers I contacted in WA, and I live close enough to drive there (they required it to verify mileage), so it was a fairly easy process. I found one in Spokane that said they could do it as well, but I cannot remember the dealer's name. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wa gmpp

I had the same dilemma. I could not find anything even close to the out of state quotes, looking in wa state. While I was "staying" with family in MN I was able to purchase my GMPP plan from yet another state with no problem. The selling dealer said it only mattered where they sent the contract (mailing address). Got a great price and my servicing dealer can see my warranty right on their computer.

It sucks we can buy from china but we are prohibited from purchasing across state borders. What's wrong with your own state competing for your business.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same dilemma. I could not find anything even close to the out of state quotes, looking in wa state. While I was "staying" with family in MN I was able to purchase my GMPP plan from yet another state with no problem. The selling dealer said it only mattered where they sent the contract (mailing address). Got a great price and my servicing dealer can see my warranty right on their computer.

It sucks we can buy from china but we are prohibited from purchasing across state borders. What's wrong with your own state competing for your business.
Which Internet dealer if you don't mind me asking. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way, the price I got at Bud Clary in Longview, WA was actually better than the high volume internet dealer in Georgia that quoted me a price, then retracted once they realized that I was not eligible because I lived in WA.....all this said, this was almost a year ago, so things certainly could have changed by now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts