GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New owner of a 2017 Volt here!

Thanks for this forum and those who are on it!

Does anyone have or can point me to a list of wear items that are NOT covered by warranty?
During my purchase, the dealer was trying to sell me an extended warranty and made it sound like every dang thing was NOT covered. For instance, he said a power window motor was a wear item and not covered.

Any inputs?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Just assume that for the warranty period everything is covered except for maintenance things like tires, oil changes, and 12v batteries on the one hand and accidental damage like punctured radiators from road debris on the other. It's quite comprehensive. The extended service plan covers LESS and you NEVER want to buy it when you buy the car. The reason you want to wait is because the extension starts from the date you buy it. Hence getting it 364 days after you buy the car gives you an additional year over buying it the day you bought the car. Also any dealer can sell you a plan so it pays to shop around, including at out of state dealers. There are threads on this with specific recommendations you can start with, but you can also find info at places like the Corvette forum.

On the plans there is a GM plan and an Ally plan called GMPP and many options for each plan -- different prices for different miles and months as well as for different deductibles. The price also varies if you buy it before 12 months and 12K miles (new) or before 36 months 36k miles (used). Lots of choices. This may be dated but if you want miles the best deal is usually for a new car and if you want to get the most time the best deals are to buy a plan for a used vehicle.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The words "The dealer said..." should always be interpreted as "A fairy riding a winged unicorn said..."

The only thing that matters is the language in your warranty manual. Have you read that?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hello,

New owner of a 2017 Volt here!

Thanks for this forum and those who are on it!

Does anyone have or can point me to a list of wear items that are NOT covered by warranty?
During my purchase, the dealer was trying to sell me an extended warranty and made it sound like every dang thing was NOT covered. For instance, he said a power window motor was a wear item and not covered.

Any inputs?

Thanks
Not sure I'd expect any wear items to be covered by a warranty. (wipers, brakes, etc requiring replacement under normal wear conditions).
power window motor is not a 'wear' item.

Check the link in my signature below for GM warranty information.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read the owners manual and it was not helpful.
If there is supposed to be a warranty manual, I did not get one...

Thanks

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
I read the owners manual and it was not helpful.
If there is supposed to be a warranty manual, I did not get one...

Thanks
Read post #4: "Check the link in my signature below for GM warranty information."

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Read post #4: "Check the link in my signature below for GM warranty information."
I saw that but I can't read it yet. Not enough posts...
I did find a 2016 online though. It seems like most things are covered, including a power motor window. Geesh, dealers!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts