GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The warranty on my Volt runs out at the end of the month. I'll still have 3 months left on my lease at that time. Everything appears to be running okay, but should I schedule a service and have them check over the car before it expires?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
My warranty ends on the 31st, my 13 Volt just turned 26K miles and has never felt or run better. I do need new wiper blades and an oil change so my plan is to bring it in for that and ask them to look it over, but they aren't obligated nor do I expect them to look beyond recalls and possible the usual safety things like brakes, lights etc.

But in the mean time I'm trying to find things wrong with it, so far I have NOTHING.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The warranty on my Volt runs out at the end of the month. I'll still have 3 months left on my lease at that time. Everything appears to be running okay, but should I schedule a service and have them check over the car before it expires?
I assume you mean the 3yr/36K bumper to bumper. Should not need any service except what the manual says. Unless there is a problem, why would you?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You can certainly do that, keep in mind that service visit is likely to be on your time if there are no issues.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Our 2011 and 2012 has been out of warranty for quite a while now. Most reliable car I ever owned, keep up the maintenance i.e. tire rotations, oil change every couple of years, ... :D :D :D We did a cross country trip to Michigan in the 2012 about a month ago, car was flawless. The battery on the 2012 may have lost a mile or 2 in the range department, but that is hard to tell during AC season in Phoenix. I will know better in the fall, like late October maybe, it has been pretty damn hot this summer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car is running fine. My concern would be something wrong That I am not aware of that would be covered by warranty. Then Ally catches it when I turn in the lease and charges me to get it repaired. So I was curious what if anything I should have the service department check for and/or what other 39 month Volt leasees did right before the warranty expired.

Ally did say in the letter they sent me that I should have all service updates installed if I haven't already but should I have them do anything else while I'm there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It might not hurt to schedule as minimal a visit as possible just to have things checked out. If you have any kind of relationship/rapport with your dealer, you might just stop by with your VIN handy and see if they will just run it through their system and tell you if there is something pending/available. GM will not notify you of any tech updates or recalls unless they are of the life-threatening nature, so simple things like software patches to eliminate random operational bugs in the car, which would otherwise be covered while under warranty, are a chargeable service once you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Car is running fine. My concern would be something wrong That I am not aware of that would be covered by warranty. Then Ally catches it when I turn in the lease and charges me to get it repaired. So I was curious what if anything I should have the service department check for and/or what other 39 month Volt leasees did right before the warranty expired.

Ally did say in the letter they sent me that I should have all service updates installed if I haven't already but should I have them do anything else while I'm there.
That is a risk when you take by leasing a vehicle outside the warranty period.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I thought about the same but since there were no mechanical issues and the car was up to date with software patches I blew it off. Turned the vehicle in early though so I only went 5K miles past the warranty.

Agree with the idea of checking on software updates but otherwise would leave well enough alone. If the mechanicals make it to 36K they will very likely make it to 48.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts