GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the "Service High Voltage Charging System" message at 99,000 miles, so the car is out of bumper-to-bumper warranty, but should still be under the powertrain warranty (2012 Volt). The dealer did fix the issue, replacing the high voltage battery coolant sensor (the error code was P1FFF), and also did a "reprogram module", however they didn't do this as warranty work--is that correct? Is a problem that prevents the car from being charged (although it could still be driven in charge sustaining mode) not covered under the powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would think this is covered under the 100,000 mile Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Check the warranty. It states what is considered powertrain. I am pretty sure the battery coolant system is not considered part of the powertrain.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Got the "Service High Voltage Charging System" message at 99,000 miles, so the car is out of bumper-to-bumper warranty, but should still be under the powertrain warranty (2012 Volt). The dealer did fix the issue, replacing the high voltage battery coolant sensor (the error code was P1FFF), and also did a "reprogram module", however they didn't do this as warranty work--is that correct? Is a problem that prevents the car from being charged (although it could still be driven in charge sustaining mode) not covered under the powertrain warranty?
If this was your only issue after almost 100k miles whether covered under warranty or not judging from the number of your posts here, I would consider yourself very lucky!;)

Since you bought your 2012 Volt clear back in Oct 2011, is there a reason you never got around to registering it over at http://www.voltstats.net!?:confused: If you did register, your Volt would be @6th most driven Volt being tracked according to today's stats!:eek:

·
Registered
447 Posts
That's awesome it was covered. But did you happen to find out what the total cost would have been if you had to pay for the repairs?

Should we sit down?

I'm at 96k.... Xing fingers....

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
That's awesome it was covered. But did you happen to find out what the total cost would have been if you had to pay for the repairs?

Should we sit down?

I'm at 96k.... Xing fingers....
Unless I'm mistaken, I think the OP indicated the repair to his Volt wasn't covered under warranty!?:confused: Rather hard to decipher from his post I agree.

BTW: Wonder why high-mileage Volt owners like yourself are not bothering to register over at www.voltstats.net? Hint: I don't see any other Volt's being tracked from your state, IL, that are above 70k!

Is the www.voltstats.net site no longer working properly!?:confused:

3,605 Posts

Hi anteman,

I was able to take a look in the 2012 Volt Warranty Manual and based on my research it shows that sensors and reprogramming of sensors are not covered by the powertrain warranty (pg.4). I also did research on the Voltec Warranty, which is an 8 year or 100,000 coverage, and was able to locate some additional information. The manual indicates that there are only a few Voltec Components covered; High Voltage Wiring, Voltec® Control Modules, E-Compressor, Traction, Power Inverter Module (TPIM), Accessory Power Module (APM), and Voltec On-Board Charger. If you would like me to look further into your specific sensor and module reprogram and its warranty specifications, please private message me with your VIN, contact information and the dealership you were working with.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone follow up on this thread. I am having the same problem on my 2012 volt and dealer is telling me it is not covered under warranty. 66k miles. High voltage charging error and dealer said it was an issue with battery fluid temperature sensor module.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Can someone follow up on this thread. I am having the same problem on my 2012 volt and dealer is telling me it is not covered under warranty. 66k miles. High voltage charging error and dealer said it was an issue with battery fluid temperature sensor module.
Welcome to gm-volt.com
Coolant TEMPERATURE or coolant LEVEL?
We will need some clarification and the confirmation the actual DTC set in your car was a P1FFF in order to be able to provide much in terms of additional assistance. If it was a temperature issue you would likely have different DTCs set than P1FFF.

Also please verify the terms the dealer may have used as technically there is no such module as a "battery fluid temperature sensor module" unless by that they were meaning either one of the four "Battery Interface Control Modules" (BICM) or Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) all of which are internal to the battery housing. These modules are used to establish various TEMPERATURES within the battery assembly. But this would be different fault from the scenario posed by this particular thread.

The triggering of this specific DTC P1FFF and associated "Service High Voltage Charging System" message (assuming your car has an identical failure) would either be due to LOW coolant, a mechanical issue with the reservoir float, the battery coolant level sensor itself (mounted in the reservoir), the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 (HPCM2) which monitors the fluid level or any of the related wiring in between the sensor and HPCM2.
On a 2011-12 model some of that wiring would likely include a wiring harness extension that was dealer installed during the battery structural enhancement campaign when an A/C pressure sensor was "re-purposed" to become the RESS coolant reservoir level sensor.

As ammunition for potential warranty coverage for any necessary repairs to the RESS coolant LEVEL condition, there HAS been a recent preliminary service bulletin PI0961 released that outlines revisions to the diagnosis and repair of a DTC P1FFF.

HTH
WopOnTour

3,605 Posts

Hi Captainjava,

I would be happy to discuss any questions you may have. Just send me a private message with your VIN at your earliest convenience.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe things have changed on this part. So I have a 2012 Volt that had this same error and was told by my local MI dealer today that it would be $213.76 to replace the Battery Coolant sensor. Dealer said they checked and its not covered under the Voltec warranty. I then asked the dealer if there could be any financial assistance with this and they said no. Well I called Customer Service and spoke to Linzey who I asked to clarify the Voltec warranty. She and the Dealer Service mgr reached the District Service mgr and subsequently I received a call back from my dealer that the part is covered under the Voltec warranty. I think there is a gray area here that confuses dealerships. I dont think the dealer was trying to cheat me. I thought I would post this as others might also experience similar issues. The summary to me is dont give up easily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Battery Coolant Level Sensor Fail

My 2012 Volt has just 31,000 miles on it. Its battery coolant level sensor failed over the weekend. I am getting the same quote from my Chevy dealer - $192 - not covered by drive warranty. I see in this last post someone managed to get their unit replaced under the voltec warranty. Any ideas on how I can go about persuading my dealership to do that? Also, is this fairly common? Is this sensor going to have to be replaced every 30,000 miles? Is my charging system some kind of rube goldberg affair? Suggestions?

·
Registered
39 Posts
A couple weeks ago I got the "Service High Voltage System" alert and a CEL. I took it to Reliable Chev in ABQ who immediately told me it was covered under the voltec warranty.
I highly recommend Reliable. VERY nice people. Car was done and charged before it was promised.
2012 with about 33k miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts