Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Window trim piece is not and never was warped

Votes: 36 69.2%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a day after I bought my Volt that the lower trim piece that surrounds the lower window on the hatch was warped. I took it in, they determined it needed to be replaced. They ordered a new one and replaced it a couple weeks later.

A couple weeks after that, I had it in for something minor and they noticed it was beginning to warp again. While they looked it over, my salesman and I looked at a few other Volts on the lot and the trim pieces were all warped. They ordered me a new one.

They replaced it again. It was perfect when they installed it. The service manager told me this time if it warps again, that's just the way they are. And now this new trim piece is starting to distort again. Not bad, but it's a start.

Temps since I purchased my car have been in the 90's to 100's. I'm not sure if this is a heat issue or just a poor design. However, I'm beginning to think it's a widespread problem.

How about it? Anybody else notice this on their Volt?

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just went and looked at mine. No problem seen. If it bothers you be sure to call chevy and tell them what that service manager said. His is not the last word.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Warped. Noticed it the day after I picked it up. I expect it's a design flaw, so replacing it won't solve anything.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Mine looks fine to me. Our weather is pretty similar and has been here for a year and a half, in New Jersey for a while before that. I don't think it is something that should not be addressed. I would start with the volt adviser and see what happens.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what else the dealer can do if it's the hard plastic material that is melting and warping or if the intial engineering just didn't call for enough clips to hold it in place.

I suppose another possibilty is some clips were left out at the factory during the build process. If that's the case, the dealership should have noticed that in the parts catalog after replacing it the first time. I imagine the SM orders the part assuming the clips are there and the mechanic changes the part ordered assuming all the clips needed are in place. The new part is not too bad right now, but it is headed in the same direction.

Mine is a 2013, there were other 2013's on the lot with the same problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warped. Noticed it the day after I picked it up. I expect it's a design flaw, so replacing it won't solve anything.
I think so too and if it is a design flaw there should be a lot of Volts out there with this problem. It will be interesting to see how the poll goes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I noticed that same area on my Volt was warped about 2 weeks after I bought mine (purchased late July in SoCal)- it's funny because in certain light you can't notice it- but mime looks like your pic. I was thinking I was the only one with this flaw and was going to have it replaced at my 7500 mi. service. It's a leased car so I'm not as crazy to have it perfect as I would if I owned it.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Mine is slightly warped. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being a big issue, I'd give it a .1. Can't see it unless you really really look for it and wouldn't ever see it day to day (in fact I never did until I looked after reading this thread).

·
Registered
231 Posts
I noticed it within a few weeks after delivery, but it hasn't bothered me enough to make a trip to the dealer.

(Still parked outside until the garage gets cleaned out, lots of 95+ days this summer)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just checked my MY2013. There is some very minor warpage, but nothing that I would be concerned about. The car spends most of its time in a cool garage, so I would suspect that heat is a major contributing factor. It would be interesting to know whether those owners experiencing major problems live in hot climates where the car is out in the sun a good part of the time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mine is not warped. I am in Phoenix where for the past 3 months my garage has rarely been below 90 degrees and often hotter than 110. The car also often sits in the sun at work on 110+ degree days. So I doubt heat would be the sole factor causing the warping. Probably not a design error either or nearly all Volts would have the warp problem. My best guess is the supplier of this panel changed someting in the manufacturing or is inconsistent in the manufacturing. I expect this got some attention at GM.

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Mine is so minor that I never noticed it in two years. I can be picky, but this is no big deal for me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The trim in my late build 2013 is warped in the same place although not as severe. I'm not going to bother with it unless it gets much worse.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Since reading this thread I checked too, no warping at all.But mine is less than a month old and sits inside mostly.

2013 Crystal Red Volt

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just checked, mine shows no signs of warping.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I own two Volt's and neither are affected with this anomaly, but could only VOTE ONCE.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was just outside and my neighbor has a company 2013 Volt vehicle (GE) and I asked him to pop his hatch and his is non affected as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts