GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
warning messages & lights after startup 'Service Power Steering- Service Stabilitrac'

Bit of a random one this morning. Came to the car to go to work, it's been used over the weekend for errands, but not charged at home, there was 25 miles remaining. Hit the start button and had a bit of pressure on the steering wheel at the time, I was greeted with 'Service Power steering', also 'Service Stabilitrac', the power steering sort of half worked, and the engine started. I restarted the car, and each time the same, the engine running, warning lights for steering, traction, and the engine light remained on. The center screen was still up to date, but both trip A and B were reset, the fuel range remaining and battery range remaining just showed blank dashes. I drove the few miles to work and the engine stayed on and the steering was heavy. I suspected the 12v battery and went to charge it, the cable didnt reach, so I had to move the car, this time it worked. Stopping the car again I ran the battery charger for an hour. Things started to right themselves, the trips came back for A and B. The car now ran on electric and the range estimate was now 28. Wierdly it was counting my driven miles onto the 'Petrol' rather than 'Electric' on the center screen, this eventually stopped at 2.6 (the distance it was to work) the engine light went out, and all has been good since

battery charger was drawing high amps to charge the 12v initially, called at the mechanic who checked the 12v and confirmed it's strong, doing a load test on it, we then turned the car on and saw 14.4v at the battery, seems to be charging from the HV.
I do have a voltage display plugged into the cig socket, and this seems to vary a lot between 12ish, and 14ish, but I'm told that it's likely that its the car thats varying the voltage depending on the load on the 12v, parhaps someone can confirm if their vontage read-out in the car remains steady

any ideas on what's going on here ?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Bit of a random one this morning. Came to the car to go to work, it's been used over the weekend for errands, but not charged at home, there was 25 miles remaining. Hit the start button and had a bit of pressure on the steering wheel at the time, I was greeted with 'Service Power steering', also 'Service Stabilitrac', the power steering sort of half worked, and the engine started. I restarted the car, and each time the same, the engine running, warning lights for steering, traction, and the engine light remained on. The center screen was still up to date, but both trip A and B were reset, the fuel range remaining and battery range remaining just showed blank dashes. I drove the few miles to work and the engine stayed on and the steering was heavy. I suspected the 12v battery and went to charge it, the cable didnt reach, so I had to move the car, this time it worked. Stopping the car again I ran the battery charger for an hour. Things started to right themselves, the trips came back for A and B. The car now ran on electric and the range estimate was now 28. Wierdly it was counting my driven miles onto the 'Petrol' rather than 'Electric' on the center screen, this eventually stopped at 2.6 (the distance it was to work) the engine light went out, and all has been good since

battery charger was drawing high amps to charge the 12v initially, called at the mechanic who checked the 12v and confirmed it's strong, doing a load test on it, we then turned the car on and saw 14.4v at the battery, seems to be charging from the HV.
I do have a voltage display plugged into the cig socket, and this seems to vary a lot between 12ish, and 14ish, but I'm told that it's likely that its the car thats varying the voltage depending on the load on the 12v, parhaps someone can confirm if their vontage read-out in the car remains steady

any ideas on what's going on here ?

Many Thanks
The output of the 12V system when the Volt is powered on will vary from 12.4V - 15.4V depending on load, conditions. What you want to observe is how low the 12V system readout goes after you power off the Volt, before you open the driver's door as that will shut down the 12V systems. I am currently tracking my 12V battery at 12.8 - 13.0V just before powering down. With the radio playing the 12V readout (from the small volt meter in the accessory port) will steadily drop down to 12.2-12.4V My Volt is 2.5 years old. I can get the 12V readout to fall below 12.0V is I manually turn on the head lights and the high beam headlights. I will be concerned about the state of my 12V AGM battery if the 12V readout drops below 12.0V after powering off the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Randomly, I’m literally sat in the car reading your message after turning it off, it’s saying 12.0v and staying pretty steadily there

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Randomly, I’m literally sat in the car reading your message after turning it off, it’s saying 12.0v and staying pretty steadily there
That is suspect. 12.8V-12.9V is 100% SOC; 12.6V is 75% SOC, 12.3V is 50% SOC, 12.0V is <30% SOC, below 11.8V the 12V AGM battery is essentially fully discharged.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
To better understand, posting your model year would help in providing suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
That 12.0V is not a true open cell voltage, because it is under some load (the center screen is on, the radio, probably some computer chips, etc.) so it will not correspond perfectly to jcanoe's charge table. However, that sounds like a low reading compared to how mine reads and I would be very suspicious that your 12V battery needs changing.

I know your mechanic's load test passed the battery, but I do not think those are very accurate.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Not sure of AGM but a lead acid will draw more amps from charger initially (with a lower voltage). As the battery charges up the amperage will fall and the voltage of the charger goes up goes up as the voltage of the battery goes up. While an ICE needs the amps to turn the starter an EV needs the volts to turn on the computers. Batteries can fail over a fairly wide range of time depending on environment, use (abuse) and manufacturing variances. It will be at it's lowest before turning on the car (after which the main battery starts charging it) and after sitting for a while and running lights, radio, door locks and what ever else when the car is in the off position.

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
To better understand, posting your model year would help in providing suggestions. Thanks.

Noooo! Never include the car year, miles, etc. when posting an issue with a car. Better yet, don't post the car make or model either, haha. Does the doctor ask you how old you are, take your weight, ask for a general health history and medications before examining you for the cause of your ailment? lol

Gremlins in the dashboard often indicate a failing 12V battery.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Helps to know what model year and how old your 12v is. Having said that, your battery can test fine, but still be the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts