GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought my car for a recall about the recent Reduced Propulsion issue...

First thing that I noticed is that I was wondering how my electric summary got down to zero miles again without recharging when I already logged 34 miles on it before I brought it in. Usually it is only reset to zero if I attained full charge. I didn't mind this.

So when I got home, I plugged it in and attended meeting at nearby house. Then I got a message that my Volt is now fully charge after 4 1/2 hours! What??? It was just 9:00 pm and I was expecting a full recharge by 4:30 am (240 Volt on NEMA 14-50) and have carefully programmed that one to charge during the off-peak rates and it charged at the highest rate!

In short, every time you go for a service, especially the recall, keep in mind that GM service could reset all your settings back to factory settings again!!!

I will make it a habit to recheck my settings after each major service.

And so I checked all the other settings. The oil life was reset to 99% when it was about 89% before the service and they didn't do oil change. I have to painstakingly re-enter our weird weekday and weekend schedules of peak rate, off-peak rate, and mid-peek rates, and also the location based charging. I have to go through to settings to make sure everything is to my liking again.

just a reminder. I lost a difference of $4.65 when my Volt charged at peak rate versus off-peak rate for this lesson.

Am monitoring other weird behaviors after the upgrade, and will let you know. So far, when I precondition the car at 5:30 AM and then drive it at 6:00 AM, my estimated EV range increased by 2 miles more, it didn't do that before.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Thanks, I'm taking our 2017 in for a recall later this week.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I had them perform the "reduced propulsion" recall before I got my car back from its battery repair.

I nearly scared the crap out of myself the next day by unplugging my car while locked in my driveway. The alarm went off as I was hanging my charger up. I never keep the unplug alarm on, but they seem to have turned it on at the dealer. My "Home" location was also changed; it said there was one set, but it wasn't at my house. Also, both my EV and Gas range estimates are way low compared to before the battery repair, but that could have been due to the battery replacement. It probably needs to re-learn the characteristics of the new battery.

But yes, they definitely change around the settings during these recalls. It'd be nice if they had a way to revert them back to the customer's set values before returning the car to you...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Took my Volt in for 1year oil change, tire rotation, Android Auto install and some other software updates. Didn't find any changes to my settings.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The only setting that changed for me after having this update was ERDTT, which went to 35 degrees. Found that out the next morning and changed it back to "deferred."

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
OHM-RIDE was reset to defaults both times but in my case they were doing some pretty involved diagnostics so I understand why they'd reset it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah I found this out when I took my car in for service over the weekend. When I got home I plugged it in to charge and realized it went back to 8amps. Later when I unplugged the horn/alarm thing started sounding which scared the begeezus out of me (I previously disabled that).

So it definitely seems that some (if not all) settings are reverted to their default values after a firmware update.

-DJ

·
Registered
873 Posts
Later when I unplugged the horn/alarm thing started sounding which scared the begeezus out of me.
I feel your pain! I still get nervous unplugging now, even though I leave it unlocked in my garage and turned off the alarm again :p

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
It all depends on what module is being reprogrammed.
The BCM for the "car left On" issue, and the PIM for the "shudder" have entirely different set of defaults as compared to this recent Gen2 bulletin for HPCM2 which yes stores all battery performance statistics as well as a myriad of "soft stops" and learned values. Most relearn on their own during normal operation.

WOT

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
They could program the settings based on key fob, so the settings customise to the key fob and you can have different settings instantly available. During a service, they can set some state where it adopts 'service' settings rather than resetting one of the key fob settings.

You'd imagine that this would have occurred to them?

Incidentally you've probably noticed this for the radio settings where the 'favourites' are programmed to a key fob. At least, this is the case for Gen 1.

·
Registered
873 Posts
They could program the settings based on key fob, so the settings customise to the key fob and you can have different settings instantly available. During a service, they can set some state where it adopts 'service' settings rather than resetting one of the key fob settings.

Incidentally you've probably noticed this for the radio settings where the 'favourites' are programmed to a key fob. At least, this is the case for Gen 1.
That would be incredibly useful for me, for other reasons. I'm the only driver of my Volt, and I drive to work 3 days a week (and work from home the other 2). When I drive to work (over an hour), I like to have engine assist heat "on" as it does extend my range significantly, still allowing me to get to work on one charge (albeit with the engine cycling for heat). But on short trips, I like to have engine assist heat "deferred" as it's fairly worthless to run the ICE for a 5-mile-or-less trip to lunch when I'm going to barely use any battery and then plug it right back in again at home.

I could just use a different fob depending on if I'm driving to work or not!

But alas, GM didn't think about that. Or a lot of other things.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I read some of these comments and I want to loan a few of you my Jeep for a while just to reset your sense of perspective <grin>.

GM has, overall, done an astounding amount of skull-sweat over the Volt and put together an amazing package but if you added all of the details that some ask for we'd be taking a $70k car with an owners manual that looked like a phone book.

Half the people I know don't ever even attempt to program the radio in their car. At least a fifth of them never try to set the freaking clock. Here people are talking about custom programming for each keyfob.

This is a different crowd to be sure.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

This idea can be implemented and then patented! GM should jump on it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts