GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried getting custom control of the HVAC air paths?

For my commute I just want gentle defrost air, usually without compressor or heater use (Fan-only mode).

For some local trips vent, preferably floor, sometimes also defrost at the same time are needed (Econ or Comfort mode).

Right now I have the floor vents taped over, makes all the difference in the commute, extends range at least a few miles maybe more without comfort or vision issues. The glorious seat heater generates all the heat I need.

For some shorter weekly trips my elderly Dad needs a hearty amount of heat to keep him warm, preferably also with defrost use if it's wet out. Vent+defrost might not be physically possible depending on servo flap/path design, that wouldn't surprise me. He should have floor vent use access, not the case while I have them taped over for my commutes... He always wants lots of warmth coming out the dash vents no matter what.

I'm curious what's possible. A Facebook Volt modders' group member suggesting playing with an air box from a junked Volt to see any physical limitations at least, just having one yanked might be pretty expensive, not sure. He also suggested CAN bus commands via GDS2 to shut off the compressor as desired, interesting, don't know much about that (yet). A CAN bus intercept route is what I would prefer vs. physically hacking the car, depending on expense / what's reasonably possible.

I haven't looked for schematics yet, $330 for a service manual is a wee scary IMHO. I could assume the three wires for the connectors I've seen are for potentiometer-including servo control, not sure what electrical intercepts would throw a code.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Roger

·
Registered
115 Posts
I often run with vent/fresh air, (touch whichever re-circulation mode button is green to de-select it and make both displayed modes inactive. This activates the non-displayed vent mode), select defrost and foot well (some air still comes out the dash vents, but maybe not enough for him), fan only (no compressor), then play with fan speed and passenger's side windows apertures to control interior moisture/humidity. That's a compromise of control that marginally is tolerated by me. I'm not pleased, but it works well enough that I'm not looking for a junk yard heater box.
The settings I use might also work / be tolerable for you.
For him, you'd need at least Econ mode to get heat and that also enables the compressor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts