GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really happy GM is making this car. Hope to see it as a sporty Caddy.

That means light weight and good handling and a Prius sized car, but not ugly like a Prius. The show car looked great!

Love the engineering. Only one transmission hookup since the engine only drives the alternator and a very efficient engine since cams, turbo and compression ratio can be tuned for nearly constant RPM. A far cry from all of the monkey motion in the Prius.

I'm gonna put in 30 degree valve seats, port match everything and add a low back pressure system after the turbo. All that should increase the efficiency as well as the go, for all you greenies. If the cams were optimized for 30 degree seats the exhaust valves could be held closed until a little closer to BDC increasing the enegy tranferred to the piston. Everything else decreases the pressure drop on the intake side and increases it accross the turbo.

Hope you experiment with the 30 degree valve seat thing. Low lift flow goes way up because the aperture increases more rapidly with a 30 degree seat than a 45 degree. They equalize at valve lift equal to about 25% of the valve diameter, at which point the valve diameter and not aperture starts limiting the flow. This would mainly be useful on the exhaust side. You could still make the seat very wide for durability and not lose a lot of flow across a wide seat because of the high pressure differential.

Offer a couple of electric motor options when you get time but plan for it by making the cables big enough to handle the extra amps. it would be nice if us hot rodders could just bolt one it.

If any engineers read this, make my day and write me. I'm an ME as well as a CPA.

·
3,689 Posts
I'm with you Lentz! I also can't wait to get my hands on this new technology. Everything from software modifications to solar cells. The thought that I might be able to buy a wrecked car from the insurance company for a song and then make my own "project" has me smiling all the time.

To say that I put some time into these thoughts is an understatement. I'm talking about attaching linkages to wheel hub motors and making a walking robot! lol. If any of you worked with robots before you understand just how expensive the parts are. To get four high-powered joints (hub motors) along with AC motor controllers and a 16kWh lithium battery pack and associated control computer for the price of an insurance wreck is the stuff dreams are made of. I think I have said too much. lol. The next generation of automobile modifications are going to be extremely interesting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be kind of fun to see how much gas mileage

can be squeezed out of the thing. Instead of talking about Holley double pumpers and cams, we'll be talking about how long we have to go without running the gas motor or if we do, how long we can cruise on a tank of gas. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hypermilers

can be squeezed out of the thing. Instead of talking about Holley double pumpers and cams, we'll be talking about how long we have to go without running the gas motor or if we do, how long we can cruise on a tank of gas. :)
There's a REAL cult of hypermilers in the standard Prii and plugin conversions thereof. It's phenomenal how many miles they can get coasting down hills and barely touching the gas pedal. I think I've seen 1000+ miles on a tankful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts