GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, new poster here.

4 months into waiting for a new BECM my dealership here in Northeast Ohio says there are "8 BECMs at in the whole united states dealership network and nobody will sell him the part, they are all reserved for customers", before this it was "in international transit". I've worked in Procurement so I know backorders can be fuzzy with delivery dates but gimme a break.

I'm getting pretty suspicious that they have any clue what they're doing, should I be doing anything more than calling them every couple weeks like I have?

Thanks.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sounds like he's trying to get the part from another dealer rather than directly from GM? Otherwise why would he say "nobody will sell him the part"?

Or maybe he put an order in with GM and is also trying to procure it on some inter-dealer secondary market. I don't think GM has been very forthcoming to dealers about when BECMs will be available. But, yes, 4 months waits are not unusual according to many reports on this forum.

·
Registered
691 Posts
... I don't think GM has been very forthcoming to dealers about when BECMs will be available. But, yes, 4 months waits are not unusual according to many reports on this forum.
Its all very frustrating. My 2017 Volt has been at the local Chevrolet service department for 2 months now, since it was towed there after the BECM failed:( The service department says the BECM is on national backorder, and they seem to estimate cars that are getting the part now have been waiting for 3 months. I sure hope its not another 2 months ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 Premier with ~60k miles was dropped off for a BECM replacement and new microswitch to cure the "shift to park" issue at Mike Maroone Chevy in West Palm Beach FL on 07/25/2022. 56 days ago. First a Chevy Trax rental thru Hertz paid for by the dealer then about 2 weeks later a low trim level Equinox loaner from the dealer.

I've been in contact with Misty at the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Part Delay Team (the fact that there's a team dedicated to that is telling) and I get weekly email updates basically stating that they have no idea when the BECM will be available from the supplier. I mentioned that the reason I purchased a used Volt was to NOT purchase fuel (free charging at work, 40 miles each way, since I took possession in January I had rarely put any fuel in it). She told me to submit all of my fuel receipts and she would try to get them reimbursed. I'll believe that when I see a check.

Service manager at the dealer says the parts manager talked to the supplier and that they've shipped a few BECMs but of course not mine. Already one Volt ahead of mine at this dealer for a BECM.

Have spoken with one attorney about warranty enforcement and he seemed clueless so I'm on the hunt for one that knows those laws in FL. All of this is covered under the Voltec powertrain warranty according to the service manager so there should be some recourse.

I've sent GM a letter via certified mail serving as notice that the vehicle has been out of service for +30 days. My next step is to start emailing Mary Barra weekly and/or sending her and the rest of the GM executive team letters via certified mail weekly asking for a solution. Maybe the squeaky wheel will get the grease.

The REALLY upsetting part is I paid $21k for the Volt in January. By June, at the height of the fuel prices, Carvana would've paid me nearly $24k after I'd put 10k miles on it. Friday's Carvana offer was down to $18,750. :mad:

I had promised myself I was done with domestics, particularly GM, and got sucked in with the idea of rarely buying fuel yet having long range capability when needed, and all for 1/3 the price of a RAV4 Prime. Lesson (re)learned. If I ever get the thing back I'll eat the depreciation and it's gone (or I'll drive it until 1 week or 100 miles of warranty remain). Too bad, because I really do like the car and it's the ideal commuter for me.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Volt Premier
57 Posts
I bought my loaded '18 Volt Premier in January of '21, right before the explosion in used car prices. It was a CPO California lease return with 27k miles on it for which I pad $19k. I thought I overpaid a little bit even then, but afterward, cars like mine were selling for more then $24k. My Volt has been fine so far, but due to concerns about the EGR and BECM, I'm hesitant to take it on long trips. The EGR issue can be worked around by replacing the blown fuse and unplugging the electrical connection. However, the BECM is a critical part failure, and I don't want it to fail when I'm 250+ miles from home, so I'm driving the Volt mostly local. I have an '18 Ram Ecodiesel that I use for long trips, so using the Volt as a local commuter works for me. If the supply chain issues ever get resolved, I may risk taking the Volt on a longer trip.

It would be nice if we could figure what causes a BECM failure and how to avoid it, but such info isn't available. I think GM should recall all Gen 2 Volts, and the BECM replaced with an updated unit.

·
Registered
116 Posts

4 months into waiting for a new BECM my dealership here in Northeast Ohio says there are "8 BECMs at in the whole united states dealership network and nobody will sell him the part, they are all reserved for customers", before this it was "in international transit". I've worked in Procurement so I know backorders can be fuzzy with delivery dates but gimme a break.

I'm getting pretty suspicious that they have any clue what they're doing, should I be doing anything more than calling them every couple weeks like I have?

Thanks.
I work in Procurement as well, Santa Clara County! It is normal, I had a battery cell replaced and it took 2 or 3 months just for the part. It was a nightmare.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think GM should recall all Gen 2 Volts, and the BECM replaced with an updated unit.
It is indeed a hazard if the car loses power and stops in the middle of the road, so I'm in favor of this idea and if enough people report their BECM issues to the TSA, it might happen. GM is unlikely to do it voluntarily. For one thing, they would have to have some idea of why the BECMs are failing, and then they would have to have some idea of how to design a replacement part that corrects whatever the issue is. Have they figured either of these out? I'm not convinced.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 110k+ Miles
1,241 Posts
It is indeed a hazard if the car loses power and stops in the middle of the road, so I'm in favor of this idea and if enough people report their BECM issues to the TSA, it might happen. GM is unlikely to do it voluntarily. For one thing, they would have to have some idea of why the BECMs are failing, and then they would have to have some idea of how to design a replacement part that corrects whatever the issue is. Have they figured either of these out? I'm not convinced.
There are many reports of BECM failures here for the Gen 2's, however I haven't seen any reports of them failing again once successfully replaced.
Fortunately, mine failed early prior to this component shortage.

·
Registered
2011 Highlander Hybrid, 2017 Volt Premier
64 Posts
There are many reports of BECM failures here for the Gen 2's, however I haven't seen any reports of them failing again once successfully replaced.
Fortunately, mine failed early prior to this component shortage.
The part number was last changed on march 2022. Doesn't it mean they found something wrong with the previous design? And if so, that previous design BECMs may eventually fail. It's just too early to estimate - the original modules started to fail after 3-5 years of flawless work.

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
The part number was last changed on march 2022. Doesn't it mean they found something wrong with the previous design?
Not necessarily. It could be a design change or it could be a new supplier. Could be both. A design change could be based on a new material (plastic, metal, etc. changes). Or the previous supplier is no longer able to supply the part so a new supplier is brought in. A design change could address a problem with the prevoius part. For example, one member got a new charge port that had some sort of plastic film covering the backside where some old ports developed hairline cracks that could lead to moisture wicking into the part and causing charging issues.

The BECM part number change might be a new vendor, and could also be a different design. Not all charge ports will fail and not all BECM's will fail.

BTW, Ford announced it's also having part supply issues. It's even affecting their high-end, high profit vehicles and delaying production and sales.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As I said many many times on many many threads about the egr, do what I did, but don't wait as long as I did. File a customer case with GM and make sure they escalate it after you get a case number. When I did that, my 2-month wait for an EGR suddenly became two months and one day, and voila it was done and ready to be picked up about 24 hours after the dealership got the case number. Be a squeaky wheel and you'll be taken care of. Or sit in the corner and bend over and take it, and you'll make sure your last in line. Just what I've learned from dealing with GM

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks.
I bought my 2017 Premier new, At about 38K miles it was towed to dealer with a failed BECM. It is now 6 weeks, and all the dealer can say is that it is on a National control list, and no date has been assigned. I asked for an order number or tracking number so I can work with GM, the dealer says there is no tracking number on the order! I have been a GM owner/supporter since 1961. I have only had 3 daily drivers that were not GM. I borrowed my daughters Subaru, It had 2 recalls so I took it to the subaru dealer, I have to say my treatment at the subaru dealer was a completely different experience. They were very helpful, very quick, and their work was done on time.

Reading the Volt forum, I see the BECM problems goes back to 2018. I have heard the issue was fixed during the 2018 Model run, so early 2018's ahve the same problem but none after mid 2018 have the issue.

I was all set to get the new Blazer EV to replace mu Envoy XUV, but seriously reconsidering that now.

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you tell us where to go online or otherwise to file a customer case with GM.
My Volt has been sitting at the dealer for one month waiting for BECM. Only saving grace
(IF you can call it that) is they gave me a loaner free of charge. GAS NOT INCLUDED! I’ve been told maybe they’re making money from GM charging them for my loaner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Back in April, after my 2011 Volt was needing a BECM for 6 months, I called the GM Parts line at 800-222-1020 and got a case number. Maybe coincidentally, soon after the BECM finally came in. 6 months was a long time for a car to be out of commission, and that event undermined my confidence in my Volt.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought my loaded '18 Volt Premier in January of '21, right before the explosion in used car prices. It was a CPO California lease return with 27k miles on it for which I pad $19k. I thought I overpaid a little bit even then, but afterward, cars like mine were selling for more then $24k. My Volt has been fine so far, but due to concerns about the EGR and BECM, I'm hesitant to take it on long trips. The EGR issue can be worked around by replacing the blown fuse and unplugging the electrical connection. However, the BECM is a critical part failure, and I don't want it to fail when I'm 250+ miles from home, so I'm driving the Volt mostly local. I have an '18 Ram Ecodiesel that I use for long trips, so using the Volt as a local commuter works for me. If the supply chain issues ever get resolved, I may risk taking the Volt on a longer trip.

It would be nice if we could figure what causes a BECM failure and how to avoid it, but such info isn't available. I think GM should recall all Gen 2 Volts, and the BECM replaced with an updated unit.
While an inconvenience, if you are 100+ miles from home and a warrantied part fails, disabling your vehicle, GM will reimburse you for a hotel night, and a rental car, and will tow your car back to your home if you are no- longer in the area. All free of charge in the end, after reimbursement.

My 2017 volt EGR valve failed on a trip in 2021, and we limped on the safety-range of the battery to the closest dealership after engine was disabled by the software. Battery ran out 20 feet from the charger at the dealership. Long story short, GM reimbursed me nearly $500 for food & a one way car rental from an airport, and expensive uber ride to the airport, and paid about $500 to have my car towed back home after repairs. Had I stayed in a hotel overnight and gone to the dealer when car rental places were open, I'd have a free car rental until my car was repaired and returned

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is a very real microchip shortage. My company is still getting quotes of 52 weeks for Chips.

Automakers prioritize new vehicles over service components for microchips. They have to continue making money while trying to get enough chips for service components.

Automakers, including GM, screwed themselves over. When covid hit and everything shut down, they didn't secure their microchip orders, and the microchip suppliers found other companies to secure orders (such as cell phone manufacturers). When they tried to start up again, automakers no longer had valid microchip orders. Now, automakers are not the priority for the volumes.

They are doing various things to mitigate it (such as paying ~$50 for 1 chip through a broker, that normally costs ~$1.00), but there are hundreds of microchips on vehicles.

Summary: it is a very real shortage, and I'd request GM to provide you with an EV rental so that you have a comparable vehicle and trim level to the one waiting for repair.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can you tell us where to go online or otherwise to file a customer case with GM.
My Volt has been sitting at the dealer for one month waiting for BECM. Only saving grace
(IF you can call it that) is they gave me a loaner free of charge. GAS NOT INCLUDED! I’ve been told maybe they’re making money from GM charging them for my loaner.
Simply call GM Customer Care.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks.
I also have been waiting 4 months for a BECM for my 2018 Volt Premiere. No word from GM Customer Service on when the part will be available. Two weeks after the dealer got my car, and after numerous phone calls asking when a loaner will be available, they came up one, a basic trim ICE Equinox. It only gets 30 MPG and doesn't have any of the advanced features of my Volt.

I did call the GM Customer Service line early on and the woman who is handling my account has done me no good whatsoever. She calls once a week and asks ME if I have an update for HER.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts