GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice that Lyle's waiting list has been slowing down as far as new registrants of late? I'm sure he keeps a close eye on it as well--but I'm starting to wonder if we'll break the 50,000 mark. I have a few theories on this:

-drop in oil ($2 gas)
-imminent bankruptcy of big auto
-people more worried about the economy than about mid east security
-they want a competitor's electric vehicle
-the Volt is too far off or people believe it is not coming at all...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Anyone else notice that Lyle's waiting list has been slowing down as far as new registrants of late? I'm sure he keeps a close eye on it as well--but I'm starting to wonder if we'll break the 50,000 mark. I have a few theories on this:

-drop in oil ($2 gas)
-imminent bankruptcy of big auto
-people more worried about the economy than about mid east security
-they want a competitor's electric vehicle
-the Volt is too far off or people believe it is not coming at all...

Thoughts?
I would disagree with the last point. We are getting closer to the Volt everyday, not the other way around. I think all the other points are valid.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would disagree with the last point. We are getting closer to the Volt everyday, not the other way around. I think all the other points are valid.

Now that the plug-in Vue has been pushed back till after the Volt (2011), now what do you think? I just don't want to see excuses... If the Volt were developed in a small shop like Tesla or Fisker, there would be no choice but to send it to production, even with flaws. Remember how Tesla had sent the Roadster into production even without drivetrain 1.5? That was expensive, but necessary, IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There's a danger in doing this too early. If the car is fraught with as many bugs as, say, Windows Vista when it launches, that will be a perfect opportunity for others to move in and the Volt will be a 'remember when'?

Sure, you can force lame software onto people and if it doesn't work, they'll just deal with it. Could you imagine cruising down the highway in your volt and all of a sudden it decides to lock up or reboot? Not good.

It is precarious to be out on the bleeding edge. Fall either way and you're doomed. The timing has to be just right - not too late, not too early.

Honestly though, it's pretty amazing to see this many people already waiting to buy this early in the game. I don't think fuel prices will effect the idea behind this car. It's not necessarily about the price of gas. It's about breaking the umbilical cord that ties us to places like Iran and Russia.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It's all about the price of gas. If gas is cheap, the Volt will never become anything more than a limited production lease-only vehicle that GM uses for PR bonus points and government loan incentive.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It seems to me that the "waiting list" slowed down soon after the production Volt was unveiled.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I think the Volt has gotten an awful lot of media exposure and the basics of the car is now well known. My reasons for a wane in interest would be in this order:

1) Cost
2) Uncertainty of GM's future
3) Lack of faith in GM
4) Boring looks
5) Interest in competitors

It's going to take some vision on the part of buyers to get past these points and sign up to a waiting list. A list by the way, I'm sure at least half are willing to abandon at this point.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Also, lets face it, other than showing interest, what does the waiting list really mean?

When the Volt comes out and you walk into your Chevy dealer and say you want to buy one (assuming its available) they arent' going to ask you where you are in line on the waiting list are they?

The only waiting list that really matters is the one at your Chevy dealer when you put your $500 down (or whatever they are charging).

Plus, the price. How many people in this economic situation are even in the market for a $40,000 car when you can get a Prius for a little over half of that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interest has dropped because people are wondering if GM will even be around in 2010.

Interest in electric cars in general however is growing by leaps and bounds. Aptera has been getting all kinds of press coverage over the last 2 weeks. They have also announced they are going into full production in October and do not need a government bailout to get their car out the door.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts