GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the day driving around on all EV... no radio, AC, etc. Nothing! I drove about 50 miles, and about 35 miles into it, I stopped at Target for awhile to juice up a bit more. However, once I pulled into my driveway, I plugged in and about 5 minutes later, the engine turned on. It was a hot day (probably mid-90s), but I thought the engine only turned on during really cold days.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Spent the day driving around on all EV... no radio, AC, etc. Nothing! I drove about 50 miles, and about 35 miles into it, I stopped at Target for awhile to juice up a bit more. However, once I pulled into my driveway, I plugged in and about 5 minutes later, the engine turned on. It was a hot day (probably mid-90s), but I thought the engine only turned on during really cold days.
The engine did not start. The cooling system for the charger started.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Either you left the car on, or the sound you heard was not the gas engine but the battery cooling system as tSquare points out.

If the car does not chirp after plugging in, the car is not charging. The car won't charge if it's still on.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I heard that for the first time in the 5 months I've had my car yesterday. Parked in the garage, sometime (5 minutes or so) after parking, I go back into the garage, and hear what sounds like the engine running. But it's not the engine. It is the cooling system for the battery. Sure sounds like the engine running, though.

And tonight, I heard the quieter humming from the back of the car.

All of this is new -- I am sure it is due to the temperatures heating up.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
When not sure go find the end of the tail pipe and hold you hand a few inch away.

·
Registered
906 Posts
if the batteries get too hot, the car will actually turn on the air conditioner to cool the batteries.. if you look under the hood you will notice the dual zone A/C refrigerant lines.. similar to "rear air" in van or SUV.. there's a separate evaporator (heat exchanger) for the battery coolant loop..

the A/C compressor (and of course underhood fan) will sound very similar to a quiet ICE car running.. mine did it once when I was testing a furnace in my garage and forgot.. left it on.. it was upper 90s in the garage.. the Volt was humming away charging and sounded like it was running...
-Christopher

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
If you want to hear what the gas engine sounds like, turn on the car and pop the hood.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't think the quiet humming from the back of the car I hear when charging has anything to do with the pressurized fuel tank. More likely fans and such of the TMS taking care of the battery while it charges.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want to hear what the gas engine sounds like, turn on the car and pop the hood.
Yup. I could see the engine wiggling around when i made my observation, and popping the hood while the car is on did something very similar.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
the humming I heard was going on during a time when the car was waiting to charge
Sometimes I do the same thing while I'm bored waiting. The Volt thinks it's people... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yup. I could see the engine wiggling around when i made my observation, and popping the hood while the car is on did something very similar.
Just thought I'd see what the car sounded like tonight with the ICE running. It was sitting there with that "motor running" sound a short time after parking. So I opened the hood, and with a light, I could see the cooling fan next to the radiator was also spinning.

Then, got in the car, pressed the brake pedal and the ON button. The engine started. WOW, it's about TEN times louder than that other "motor running" sound! I turned the car OFF, the engine shut down. Then the OTHER "motor running" sound sped up for a short time. It has got to be the electric cooling compressor.

The point is that, even though it sounds like the engine, it isn't. The car is so quiet that we really become sensitized to ANY sounds coming from the car.

Now, the other sound I'd like to identify: Sometimes when I pull into the garage and shut down, there is this odd sound that sounds only slightly like someone strumming on a guitar string -- but different. It's such an odd sound, I always wonder what is making it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts