GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have begun to have intermittent problems when refueling: the "Wait to Refuel" message fails to appear and the filler door fails to release in a timely fashion. It has taken as long as 8 minutes to finally display and usually does so with a simultaneous display of the "Ready to Fuel" message. I have taken several 600 mile trips in the last month and needed gas in remote locations relative to the closest Chevy dealer and am nervous that the refueling process may fail completely. I have found no postings by others with this problem or information on any work-arounds.

In my case, the next refuel attempt is either balky to some degree or perfectly executed (it never fails at the dealer's service writer's station!). I have tried numerous variations of vehicle powered off/on, before after pressing refuel button, duration of and pressure of press of button, and DIC screen selections.

I am making the same 600 mile trip in a few days and would like to know how to circumvent a complete failure if it should come to that. Fuse pull, trunk access to release solenoid, or what?

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Just curious, when you fill your tank, and the nozzle clicks, do you remove the nozzle or are you one of the folks who tries to fill the tank all the way to the top? If you do habitually fill to the tippy tippy top, you might have ruined the evaporative canister, thus causing the system to not quite work correctly. Just a guess, I don't have any direct experience with this, but every time Tom and Ray from Car Talk get the question on whether to top off, they say absolutely not.

Earlier this year there was also a "Emissions Noncompliance Recall" where they replaced the evaporative canister and hose. So if your car hasn't had this done yet, it should be done, and maybe that fixes the problem. If they did this recall repair, maybe they screwed something up?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never top

No, I NEVER top and always tell the service station gas jockey (Oregon requires that filling station employees only can pump gas) to not top. To which they have always responded that "It is against the law to top".

I might add that I have had the "emissions" recall and this problem proceeded the application of the recall. I should also note that there has never been a malfunction light activated and that I have yet to ask for an OnStar diagnostic but was just about to do that at the 8 minute mark when the ready message appeared.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
No, I NEVER top and always tell the service station gas jockey (Oregon requires that filling station employees only can pump gas) to not top. To which they have always responded that "It is against the law to top".

I might add that I have had the "emissions" recall and this problem proceeded the application of the recall. I should also note that there has never been a malfunction light activated and that I have yet to ask for an OnStar diagnostic but was just about to do that at the 8 minute mark when the ready message appeared.
I wonder if altitude with a drastic temp change has anything to do with the issues you're seeing. The fuel tank either gets pressurized or a vacuum (I forget which), so when you press the fuel door button, the system works at equalizing the pressure with the environment so you can safely untwist the gas cap. Still another guess...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem first occurred at sea level. Recall, that the car fails to display a "Wait to Refuel" message, which one would expect under all conditions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have begun to have intermittent problems when refueling: the "Wait to Refuel" message fails to appear and the filler door fails to release in a timely fashion. It has taken as long as 8 minutes to finally display and usually does so with a simultaneous display of the "Ready to Fuel" message.
I'd like to see some clarity. When you press the gas filler door button, how long are you holding it? Did you hold it for about 1 second, or did you hold it for 8 minutes? Either way, you are much more patient than I am.

·
2,356 Posts
This is the procedure to open the fuel door:

Opening the Fuel Tank Filler Door when the Door Lock Malfunctions

1.Remove the right rear wheelhouse panel liner. Refer to Rear Wheelhouse Panel Liner Replacement .
2.Reach in behind the fuel filler pipe housing and manually slide the actuator rod forward, using light pressure, to override the actuator to release the fuel tank filler door.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is the procedure to open the fuel door:

Opening the Fuel Tank Filler Door when the Door Lock Malfunctions

1.Remove the right rear wheelhouse panel liner. Refer to Rear Wheelhouse Panel Liner Replacement .
2.Reach in behind the fuel filler pipe housing and manually slide the actuator rod forward, using light pressure, to override the actuator to release the fuel tank filler door.
Nice info! How difficult is removing that liner? Is it something that can be done at a remote gas station with no tools?

3,600 Posts
I have begun to have intermittent problems when refueling: the "Wait to Refuel" message fails to appear and the filler door fails to release in a timely fashion. It has taken as long as 8 minutes to finally display and usually does so with a simultaneous display of the "Ready to Fuel" message. I have taken several 600 mile trips in the last month and needed gas in remote locations relative to the closest Chevy dealer and am nervous that the refueling process may fail completely. I have found no postings by others with this problem or information on any work-arounds.

In my case, the next refuel attempt is either balky to some degree or perfectly executed (it never fails at the dealer's service writer's station!). I have tried numerous variations of vehicle powered off/on, before after pressing refuel button, duration of and pressure of press of button, and DIC screen selections.

I am making the same 600 mile trip in a few days and would like to know how to circumvent a complete failure if it should come to that. Fuse pull, trunk access to release solenoid, or what?
Hey Nogero,

Thank you for sharing with us about your gas filler door issue. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and understand how this can be concerning when you need to fill up on gas while traveling. Have you had the chance to bring this to your dealer's attention? If you're interested in having your local Chevy dealer look into this once you return, I'd be more than happy to assist you in scheduling an appointment for a diagnosis and notifying them of your concerns. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, full name, contact info, and dealer if this is something you'd like to move forward with.

Best,

Vivian K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To add detail, as asked, I have pressed and held the gas filler button for one-two seconds and if the "wait" message has not appeared in about a minute I repeat with a new press - while usually explaining to the waiting attendant the the system is pressurized and could take while to depressurize and could they check the filler door? This hiccup has caused a lot of consternation at crowded stations and a "keep the change" apology from me. The rear panel work-around is good to know but really, with a packed car in the winter! I hope there is a better solution or I may need to install a ripcord pull release in advance, if feasible.

·
2,356 Posts
Nice info! How difficult is removing that liner? Is it something that can be done at a remote gas station with no tools?
I imagine it's not an easy thing to be doing at a remote gas station with no tools. If I thought there was a chance of it happening, I would want to try it myself before the trip and bring the required tools with me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It sounds like the button/switch is not functioning properly. Check fuses maybe?!? The system is pressurized, so if it's holding pressure, then the tank, filler neck and cap are all sealed up nice.

Otherwise bring it into the dealer for service.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think it is the button/switch since the message has appeared several minutes after the press on occasion. I will get extra opportunity to refuel since while on the trip (1200 miles round trip) since I won't let the tank deplete more than I need to get to a Volt servicing dealer should the "Ready" status fail to occur. If there is time, I'll try to figure out the trunk access and load accordingly.

Thanks Vivian K. of Chevrolet Customer Care, I'll enlist you aid on return and hopefully not during the trip.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is there any reason you can't permanently disable the silly door lock mechanism? What happens if you open the cap while the system is pressurized? Worst case I can see is you get some fuel on you, which would suck, hope you're not a smoker.... But other than that it seems like it's an EPA requirement to be sure vapors are not released to atmosphere.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I suspect this is an easy thing to overcome, but it does risk the possibility of causing a problem for your solenoid and maybe emissions system:-

The cap clicks into place with a regular catch. There is a tab with a hole in it that a solenoid comes into to lock it in place. If you wrap that tab around with tape, this will prevent the solenoid from locking the cap and therefore you can open it any time, and unscrew the fuel cap any time.

If you want to do this to 'guarantee' you don't have problems then feel free to try it, but I'm not saying it won't upset your car if it detects the solenoid hasn't locked properly, or indeed if it causes the solenoid to fail in a way that lock the cap for good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The problem is now corrected - it was software! The correction is the application of one or two updates prompted by the pulling of fault codes not viewable by OnStar. I will give more details in a separate new post later.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The problem is now corrected - it was software! The correction is the application of one or two updates prompted by the pulling of fault codes not viewable by OnStar. I will give more details in a separate new post later.
Fault codes not viewable by OnStar? The mystery deepens. LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wait to Refuel problems where software

The promised follow-up details: Tech pulls U0111 from BECM and reprograms per PIC5829. Also, second code read but not noted on service invoice. Additionally, tech reprograms Powertrain Control Module 2 per TIS (not identified).

I just completed a 1200 mile trip with 6 pit stops and the "wait to refuel" message appeared within a second in each case and was followed by the "ready to refuel" message within one to two seconds. Even when new it never worked this well.

Thanks to Kendall Chevy Cadillac of Eugene and Service Consultant Beeman for finding me at the service area before opening without an appointment in a Volt packed to capacity and not being able to induce the failure but still prioritizing a "very good" volt tech to address the problem anyway. Less than two hours later I was on my way to Boise and it's 80 mph speed limit - more accurately described as "minimum speed to not be run over".

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think I have the same problem. Guess I need to make a quick visit. My last fuel stop (in Oregon) was a bit awkward. Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts