GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the "unofficial" waiting list has topped the 10,000 mark. That is great news, it shows people really have an interest.

What I'm talking about here is "serious" interest. I want to get on an official GM waiting list, AND I'm ready to put out some CASH UP FRONT.

Is there anywhere I can do this, I would love to be one of the first on the road with this great looking car.

Thanks for listening.
DB

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
There is no official GM wait list. GM won't take anybody's money until they have a working prototype to show people and verify performance. They'll no doubt then wait until they can gaurantee a release date too. Just have to stay tuned here. I'm sure we'll be amongst the first to know when Chevy dealers will start taking deposits.

If you go down to your local Chevy dealer now and try to put a deposit down they should refuse to (that's assuming they even know what a Volt is.) and if they don't, you're just wasting your money IMO. Just because a dealer took your money, doesn't mean GM will be shipping Volts to that dealer first, anytime soon or at all.

Maybe GM will start an official national wait list, but I doubt it. They've never done it for any other new vehicle launch to my knowledge. It's usually first come first serve at the select dealerships that will be getting the new car first. Usually, the rest of the dealers get the car too eventually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, shame they're not starting a wait list. I suppose that's why I posted, because I'm encouraging them to start one.

Wouldn't it provide them a known and quantifiable initial market ? What company wouldn't want that ? What company wouldn't want to take your money up front ? Do they really think it's going to fail ?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Typical executive bigwig decision makers would sometimes have minds that are detached from the market. They think they are right... And if they're wrong, they are always right... Remember the saying?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Wouldn't it provide them a known and quantifiable initial market ? What company wouldn't want that ? What company wouldn't want to take your money up front ? Do they really think it's going to fail ?
They would love all those things, particularly the money up front right about now, but when you're GM you have to be careful. Nobody is going to cut them any slack. If they don't deliver the car on time because of an engineering or manufacturing problem or it turns out it only goes say 35 mile on a charge, people will get real mad real fast and before you know it, people want their money back, bad PR, maybe even law suits. If you're Joe's Eco-EV electric car start up, the people that put money down will cut the start up lots of slack, but GM, who's been in business for a 100 years and is one of the biggest car companies in the world, people want it people want it on time, on budget, with in spec and in near perfection.

Bottom line, it's just too soon for them to take deposits.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It syas it's up to 28k now.

I know I just heard about the Volt. If it can hit market by 2010 then my Saturn will be 10 years old and ripe for a replacement. I'd fladly buy any car that takes fueling out of the hands of a third party and gives me the freedom to keep it going.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know my financing will be finished by the time is marketable & to hit the road - being an EE by trade, I hope to see the end result and analyze it's actually performance by my own 'real world' statistics.

Way to go GM for taking the lead with this project!:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
I will not give a deposit until a hard price is determined between me and a dealer. Too much gamesmanship can go on with potential tax credits, dealer markups,base pricing, etc.

Afterall, if the govt gives a tax credit, who will get it in the end? The dealer or GM? It won't be the consumer, if we are not careful.

It also has to meet my styling standards before I will consider it as well. That may be the tougher requirement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts