GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I didn't know, where to put this, so I put it here.

Feel free to move the thread somewhere else.

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Im well aware of GM's home appliances. I have both a Frigidaire electric stove and an oven. Both still working after 57 years of use.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^ Frigidaire used to be a decent brand, but pretty much like all major appliances sold at big box stores- they're all made from the same China sourced components now.

The ice maker in my Frigidaire also fits five+ other brand name freezers.
The igniter for my neighbors 5yo gas stove- is the same exact one as used in my 1yo Frigidaire gas stove.

One of the LED's on the display panel indicating Water or Ice or Crushed Ice on the fridge went out the first month we owned it. We purchased the 5-year service contract on it, so we're waiting till year three before getting the display panel replaced because we were told the ice-maker only lasts three years so get both items replaced at the same time with only one service call.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you know something I own that wasn't primary sourced from China? My Volt! :D

But seriously, I've noticed they pull that all the time with these so called "Service contract". I don't even bother anymore after having a night mare scenario with my "American" built (foreign sourced, so AKA PRC CHINA) LG built Refrigerator.

Out at the old old Farm we still had a honest to god "ice" box that worked well because was below the 45 degree temperature line in the dugout dirt basement. Where was that manufactured? By evil foreigners again! This time... Canada. My god what globalism has done!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well the only good news is that 15 years ago a replacement ice maker was $159 and now it's $39 on ebay, same for the oven igniter- it was $129 back in the day- now they're under $15 on ebay and even Amazon.

Click on either of the item links above.... notice how many brands use that same part?

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
Sadly, all the big name brands like Maytag, Kenmore, Amana, Frigidaire, GE, etc. are all made by a few manufacturers. I think it comes down to White Westinghouse as one big conglomeration and maybe a few others. The old Amana RadarRange was made by Amana, which got acquired by maytag then Westinghouse. So my newest Amana microwave is just a Westinghouse which doesn't even have a logo on the door.

Having gone refrigerator shopping recently, it's amazing how this old refrigerator seems to have more features than many new ones.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nice reefer! Like that ice cube ejector, the fold down veggie compartment, roll-out shelves. We have an Amana reefer that says Maytag on the inside door label. Kenmore is Sears, and lots of their stuff was made by RCA Whirlpool. I think GE is still GE, but made in China (washer and dryer), Korea (microwave) and....wait for it.... USA! (oven).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts