1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
562 Posts
If I read the pricing correctly, $1.50/hr x 4 hours for a full charge = $6 for a 40-50 mile trip. I pay $1.30 for a full 4 hour charge at home. I get 45 MPG with the ICE (about $5 in gas). I am SO glad I have a Volt and can simply drive past these chargers.
While the comment/edit flow here confuses me...

If the volt had a 6.6 kw charger, that'd instead mean $3 vs $5 vs $1.30... so while higher than at home (can't really argue there, not that I mind free), it would be lower than gas.
I'm hoping the volt will get a beefier charger soonish.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Commercial for profit charging will fail. Only level 3 for profit stations have a chance.
Actually I don't think that is true, but the pricing model has to make sense. A $1 an hour is just too much considering the cost of the power supplied. Probably some state utility laws need to change so per kWh fees could be assessed.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If I read the pricing correctly, $1.50/hr x 4 hours for a full charge = $6 for a 40-50 mile trip. I pay $1.30 for a full 4 hour charge at home. I get 45 MPG with the ICE (about $5 in gas). I am SO glad I have a Volt and can simply drive past these chargers.
Haha Steverino! They're going to take your new powers away from you if you keep replying posing as others :p

I'm sure all those new buttons and options you now see on the forum page must get confusing :D

Either that or Blink is finally admitting their rates are a total rip-off!

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts
Haha Steverino! They're going to take your new powers away from you if you keep replying posing as others :p

I'm sure all those new buttons and options you now see on the forum page must get confusing :D

Either that or Blink is finally admitting their rates are a total rip-off!
Huh, not even sure how that happened! Deleted.

But here are MY thoughts again: If I read the pricing correctly, $1.50/hr x 4 hours for a full charge = $6 for a 40-50 mile trip. I pay $1.30 for a full 4 hour charge at home. I get 45 MPG with the ICE (about $5 in gas). I am SO glad I have a Volt and can simply drive past these chargers.

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts
While the comment/edit flow here confuses me...

If the volt had a 6.6 kw charger, that'd instead mean $3 vs $5 vs $1.30... so while higher than at home (can't really argue there, not that I mind free), it would be lower than gas.
I'm hoping the volt will get a beefier charger soonish.
I apologize for the confusion. Yes, you are correct, if the Volt charged at a higher speed it would cost less to charge than at it's current charge rate all else being equal. Which brings up ab interesting question. If the cost to charge is strictly based on time, not power consumption, then some cars could be recharged for less per Kwh than others simply because they can gulp more current in an hour.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Can you use the high speed charger to charge the VOLT? It was my understanding that this required a special charging port like the 2nd one on the Leaf.
Nope, that's why the OP is so funny! Hey Volt owners we're going to gouge you on the L2 price but don't worry you can still use our fast chargers for free! Oh wait, what's that? Volts don't have fast chargers? Hmm. Oh, what else? There's only 28 Blink fast chargers across the entire country, most of them in Tennesee (0 in TX and only 3 in WA)? So even if Volts could use them they probably couldn't find one? Cut the feed cut the feed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts