GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looks like VW has learned from Musk. Make outlandish claims on timing and price, deliver something even if late and at a higher price.

So far, VW has been a winner based on press releases. But 2020 will be the year they put up or shut up. Of course, they could always claim "manufacturing hell" if they fall short...

Regarding the vaunted Tesla SC network, VW will need to build out it's own fast charging network if they plan to compete with Tesla. Speaking of, how is VW's $2B Electrify America fast charging charging network coming along? Related thread: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?327145-Electrify-America-is-Making-Progress

and nationally https://electricrevs.com/2018/10/25...le-1-ca-highway-sites-on-track-for-june-2019/

https://insideevs.com/vw-2020-electric-cars-match-tesla-half-price/

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
This VW claim is why we either need to eliminate the EV tax credit completely or extend it for all manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
This VW claim is why we either need to eliminate the EV tax credit completely or extend it for all manufacturers.
Not sure of your reasoning. Initially it was to get the manufacturers over the hump of producing new technology EV's for an uncertain market. We're passed that now that every one is producing an electric car or will be producing an electric car. We need diminishing rebates for all until there is price parity with ICE and only on the lower priced cars as luxury cars don't need them, people by luxury cars because of the luxury not because of the price and it helps deflect the accusation the rebates are for the rich.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Not sure of your reasoning. Initially it was to get the manufacturers over the hump of producing new technology EV's for an uncertain market. We're passed that now that every one is producing an electric car or will be producing an electric car. We need diminishing rebates for all until there is price parity with ICE and only on the lower priced cars as luxury cars don't need them, people by luxury cars because of the luxury not because of the price and it helps deflect the accusation the rebates are for the rich.
Simple. The early EV manufacturers had to do all the research to see what would work. Companies coming in now can shortcut much of that research by just going and buying existing EVs and then reverse engineering the drivetrain and software.

·
Administrator
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wonder if it will run as clean as their deisels:p
I think VW's diesel-gate penalty could turn into a win for VW as they are being forced to build out a fast charging network that creates a rival for the Tesla network. One of the big knocks against non-Tesla EV's is the EV manufacturer's lack of a Tesla-like charging network. Well, VW is building one. The "But they don't have a charging network.." argument could become something of a moot point for VW EV's. VW could provide charging discounts to buyers of VW EV's for example.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
By the time VW's EVs are around, battery cost will be half, so of course, they can bring down the total cost to half.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
The landscape of 2020 will be different than now and everything is a moving target. We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That would be awesome - 300 mile VW EV with 0-60 under 5s for $30K. Sign me up for one, make it two.

Reminds me of the few hours of dreaming I get after I purchase my mega millions tickets. But then next Monday I do come back to work...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I liked some of their ids, the ID Crozz would be on my list but it won't look anything like the concept car and I think that is VWs biggest issue, they don't make anything that stands out. They became an appliance maker.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The landscape of 2020 will be different than now and everything is a moving target. We'll just have to wait and see.
They better get some hustle in. 2020 isn't distant future anymore. It's 14 months from now.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
They better get some hustle in. 2020 isn't distant future anymore. It's 14 months from now.
Indeed. I'm actually a bit concerned that we haven't heard more about GM's actual models coming out. I was seeing Bolt EVs on the road being tested over a year before I bought mine (and it was one of the first that rolled off the truck).

·
Administrator
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Indeed. I'm actually a bit concerned that we haven't heard more about GM's actual models coming out. I was seeing Bolt EVs on the road being tested over a year before I bought mine (and it was one of the first that rolled off the truck).
If it's like the Volt or Bolt rollouts, most likely 2020 = Dec 2020. So I expect spy shots, etc. starting sometime around Dec. 2019 or first quarter 2020 and GM press releases dribbling out details around May or so 2020.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
If it's like the Volt or Bolt rollouts, most likely 2020 = Dec 2020. So I expect spy shots, etc. starting sometime around Dec. 2019 or first quarter 2020 and GM press releases dribbling out details around May or so 2020.
I hope so because Tesla will likely unveil the Model Y (MY) in Q1 2019 and start shipping the first MY vehicles by the end of 2019 or early in 2020.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
We know that GM already submitted their EPA testing documents for the Bolt EV (Incomplete), though that is truly a derivative platform. The Buick Enspire was likely the second one of the three EVs that GM was stating would be available in the next 18 months (about a year ago), but it's not clear whether that was ever intended for the U.S. market. The third, as far as I know, is still a mystery, but GM could see some really easy wins, in my opinion.

A Cruze EV, Equinox EV, or Malibu EV would be a huge hit, in my opinion, and they would require very little modification to the Bolt EV's hardware.

I hope so because Tesla will likely unveil the Model Y (MY) in Q1 2019 and start shipping the first MY vehicles by the end of 2019 or early in 2020.
That seems really optimistic, and I hope Tesla is done giving overly optimistic delivery and production dates. That being said, the Model Y should be a big hit, but it is being released into what will likely be the most contested EV space.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
And as anyone over 60 knows, the older you are, the faster time fly's, something Einstein should have put in his theory of relativity.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts