GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Interesting. I think that $2 billion could be spent without even scratching the surface of the most basic requests that have been made so far (e.g., DCFC network that allows cross-country travel).

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
$2 billion is a ****-ton of money. If spent wisely (or even if not), it could easily connect all parts of the country with DCFC's with tons to spare.

Most estimates I've seen for Tesla's Supercharger network suggest it costs them around $300k per location, and they have almost completed a practical cross-country network with only ~330 locations in the US, including a bunch that are tightly clustered in California. VW's pledge of 200+ DCFC "stations" along highway routes is a bit thin in comparison, but could get the job done pretty adequately (as long as by "station" they mean 1 location with a bunch of individual chargers per location).

So, assuming similar costs: $300k x 200 = $60M. So they'd have only $1,940M left to waste putting L2 chargers at shopping malls like idiots. :p If it costs them significantly more or if they want to put in more locations, they'd have plenty of dough for that too.

I hope they focus on DCFC's along highways and L2's for apartment and office buildings, maybe partnering with landlords and employers to stretch their dollars. (And maybe try some small pilot programs for street parking spots where people without garages park overnight -- although I suspect that would turn out to be a practical and logistical nightmare.) Stay away from the malls, shopping centers, and other retail locations.

I also REALLY hope they don't bother installing DCFC's any slower than 150kW. You gotta future-proof these things as much as possible. I suspect 50kW DCFC's will become rather obsolete in a relatively short time.

"Investing in electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure to increase availability of chargers, with construction starting in 2017. Our planned investments will focus on:

-Installing chargers locally in approximately 15 metro areas consisting of 300+ stations (L2 or DC Fast Chargers (50 to 150+ kW))
-Developing a high-speed, cross-country network consisting of 200+ stations (DC Fast Chargers)

Given the deployment versatility of EV chargers, locations could include:

-Multi-family homes (e.g., apartment complexes)
-Workplaces (e.g., office parks)
-Retail (e.g., stores, malls, restaurants, hotels, refueling stations)
-Communities (e.g., municipal parking lots, street parking spots)

Initially, we plan to focus on charger installation in metro areas that could benefit from increased charging infrastructure (e.g., densely populated) and highly trafficked cross-country highways."

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I also REALLY hope they don't bother installing DCFC's any slower than 150kW. You gotta future-proof these things as much as possible. I suspect 50kW DCFC's will become rather obsolete in a relatively short time.
I totally agree. It's not as though 50 kW DCFC vehicles can't still charge at 150 kW DCFC stations.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Of course we all want uber fast DCFC charging stations continently placed along all our major highways and maybe secondary roads.

But I would set some aside to offer "cash grants" to hotels and other businesses to install Destination Chargers (min Level II EVSE's) similar to what Tesla is doing. Only stipulation I have is these spots need to be clearly marked for EV's only. Ultimately I would hope laws would be enacted to protect them similar to a handicapped spot is protected today.

I travel and spend 10 to 12 hours at the hotel each night and a Level II EVSE could easily top off any BEV sold today (120 to 140 miles).

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
But I would set some aside to offer "cash grants" to hotels and other businesses to install Destination Chargers (min Level II EVSE's) similar to what Tesla is doing. Only stipulation I have is these spots need to be clearly marked for EV's only. Ultimately I would hope laws would be enacted to protect them similar to a handicapped spot is protected today.

I travel and spend 10 to 12 hours at the hotel each night and a Level II EVSE could easily top off any BEV sold today (120 to 140 miles).
Very good point.

VW did mention hotels under "retail", although chargers at hotels would be used much differently than chargers at malls.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
WV's plan to spend their $2B penalty money seems already quite detailed. At least, its more detailed than any of Trump's plans. There are three pillars

1. 500+ charging locations
  2. Pro-EV ad campaign
  3. Some electromobility green city pilot.

Still $2B would seem a lot for this shopping list. If they spend half on the charging stations, that would mean ~$2M per charging station.... I put the ad campaign at a generous $100M, which leaves $900M to make the most beautiful electrified city ever. Even if electric busses costs $400K/pop, that will be very nice...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Still $2B would seem a lot for this shopping list.
I would agree if I weren't painfully aware of how bad our infrastructure is right now. We can't just build a water pump in the desert, we need to drill a well and do all the piping as well and doing that right is going to cost bigtime.

I think a subsidy plan for charging might be a better use, offer a 60/40 split with locations to put in public charging at regular intervals. That reduces the cost for the location, but makes them "buy in" which usually means better maintenance and so forth because some of their own money is involved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts