GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VW plans to build electric ID Crozz and ID Buzz in America

Volkswagen plans to build two of its upcoming electric cars in the United States.

VW's North American CEO, Hinrich Woebcken, told British magazine Autocar that the models will be built in the United States and sold domestically.

Presumably this means the ID Crozz electric crossover SUV and the ID Buzz, the long-awaited successor to the VW Microbus, will be built at VW's Chattanooga, Tennessee factory.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
Lol. When? 2050?

lol, All future EV's from all manufacturers will be rolling out in 2020 based on the PR people...

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
The ID Buzz looks interesting, not that I'm in the market for a car. Of course, looks aren't everything and all I'm seeing from VW is a bunch of press releases with no real data.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
VW isn't a stupid company. You don't spend $2 billion on charging infrastructure and then not profit from the build out. These cars are coming soon. I'll be surprised if they aren't both available to purchase in a couple of years.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The ID Buzz looks interesting, not that I'm in the market for a car. Of course, looks aren't everything and all I'm seeing from VW is a bunch of press releases with no real data.
The same could be said for Tesla. How many models are supposedly "going to be produced" that you can't buy, and in some cases even look at a prototype? No production plan, no place to build it and no capex funds.

So in the skepticism arena, where would you place your bets?

Hell, we've been promised 2 new electrified GM vehicles by 2020. Seen any information on them at all?

I keep looking.........

GM to launch two new electric vehicles within 18 months, 20 by 2023

8 months to go......... or did Reuss mean these two SAIC/Baojun/GM cars?

Unless I missed it they didn't say 2 new cars for the U.S. market.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
VW is the 6th largest company (that's any company) in the world. They'll have no problem bringing out EV's which they said they'd do after the dieselgate thing (maybe a counter PR thing, maybe in the plans all along).

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
EVs are all getting released at a glacial pace...somebody needs to surprise us once in awhile, not show prototypes, then later do press releases years before availability, then delay and delay and delay (I’m looking at you Tesla, Ford, GM, VW. For once a car company needs to pull a Steve Jobs “Oh, and we have one more thing....” followed by “It ships today” (Voltec Subyukonade, Voltec Subyukonade, Voltec Subyukonade....)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
VW plans to build electric ID Crozz and ID Buzz in America.
They will be assembled locally from imported parts to avoid tariffs. Not worth the interest or ownership.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Hell, we've been promised 2 new electrified GM vehicles by 2020. Seen any information on them at all?

I keep looking.........

Unless I missed it they didn't say 2 new cars for the U.S. market.
Either you are "not looking" or just ignoring the facts. GM did announce a new Buick based on the Chevy Bolt EV. The second one was seen in a GM presentation and it was a CUV. GM doesn't announce real hardware until it is ready. That is to avoid the competition from copying their products. The Bolt EV was an example of their late surprises when it was announced and presented as real hardware in 2015. Keep your faith alive, as I have done since 2009.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
EVs are all getting released at a glacial pace...somebody needs to surprise us once in awhile, not show prototypes, then later do press releases years before availability, then delay and delay and delay (I’m looking at you Tesla, Ford, GM, VW. For once a car company needs to pull a Steve Jobs “Oh, and we have one more thing....” followed by “It ships today” (Voltec Subyukonade, Voltec Subyukonade, Voltec Subyukonade....)
You're not paying attention. Every month there seems to be a new model introduced, not in concept but ready to be bought in your local dealership's show room. BMW, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Chevy, Cadillac, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Fiat, Ford, Chrysler, Smart, VW, Audi, Jaguar, Tesla, Mini, Mercedes, Volvo, Porsche, Karma all have EV or PHEV's that can be bought (at least here in Canada). Virtually every other one have plans for a 2019 or 2020 in the showroom. Other brands have them available in their home countries because they have no dealership models in N/A. Not a bad number of choices for 1.5% of the market. I predict a sharp shift when the public realises that the charging infrastructure/range/cost is acceptable their next car will be electric. It will happen relatively quickly and every eV bought is one less ICE machine that will be bought. The swing will be quick and feed on itself. The more cars the more charging stations, the more charging stations the more EV's. Take my own family as example. I'm the first to go EV, but I have a sister who said their next car is EV, another would have been but was erroneously told by a dealer that if you go over 30 you're running on gas anyway. That's 60% that's on the cusp or converted. It can happen that quick.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Yes, electric vehicles are not being released at a glacial pace. We might expect things to move faster because we are looking so far into the future (or maybe there's just an overriding sense of urgency), but these cars are being released about as quickly as automobiles are typically released by automotive companies. I recall from the past a number of ICE vehicles that were announced years before they were ever made.

While we should expect a certain amount of attrition between proposed and actualized electric vehicles, I think a vast majority of what we are seeing proposed at this point will make it to market in one way or another. Automakers are struggling to find profitability in electric vehicles, but they are also seeing how demand is far outpacing supply. Used electric vehicles are flying off the lot far faster than used ICE vehicles, and new electric vehicles in almost every market can barely be kept on dealership lots long enough for people to get test drives. When the number one determining factor for EV sales is whether or not EVs are available, it's a market you want to be in.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I think that when more of the motoring public understands that many of these new hybrids and EV's can be charged at home in your garage from a standard 110AC outlet, more people will convert. There is still a lot of education to be done.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
You're not paying attention. Every month there seems to be a new model introduced, not in concept but ready to be bought in your local dealership's show room. BMW, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Chevy, Cadillac, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Fiat, Ford, Chrysler, Smart, VW, Audi, Jaguar, Tesla, Mini, Mercedes, Volvo, Porsche, Karma all have EV or PHEV's that can be bought (at least here in Canada). Virtually every other one have plans for a 2019 or 2020 in the showroom. Other brands have them available in their home countries because they have no dealership models in N/A. Not a bad number of choices for 1.5% of the market. I predict a sharp shift when the public realises that the charging infrastructure/range/cost is acceptable their next car will be electric. It will happen relatively quickly and every eV bought is one less ICE machine that will be bought. The swing will be quick and feed on itself. The more cars the more charging stations, the more charging stations the more EV's. Take my own family as example. I'm the first to go EV, but I have a sister who said their next car is EV, another would have been but was erroneously told by a dealer that if you go over 30 you're running on gas anyway. That's 50% that's on the cusp or converted. It can happen that quick.
BMW - i3 is a joke. The e-Performance models are pricey and don't come close to even the Gen1 EV range. I would consider an i8, but that's a supercar, not a family daily driver - so impractical, but red hot gorgeous

Hyundai - can't get one in IL, it seems that only CARB states are getting the all electric EVs, and possible the PHEVs, plus I'll never buy a Korean car

Kia - I'll never buy a Korean car, hate the looks of the Soul, gas or electric.

Toyota - Prius is fugly and found wanting, enough said

Chevy - Just have the Volt and Bolt for now, or a used Spark. I have a gen1, no real desire to upgrade to a gen2. If they only put a bigger battery on the Malibu Hybrid, but then it suffers from lack of trunk space already. All I want is a Voltec/Boltec SUV or pickup or big car that doesn't cost as much as a Tesla Model S or Cadillac CT6.

Cadillac - I wish I bought an ELR but it was too pricey. The CT6 PlugIn is made in China, so Mr. Dave would drive over to my house and murder me if I bought one. It's also pricey, but tempting

Honda - Can't get the Clarity FCV here, and can't find a place to refuel anyway. Clarity PHEV is interesting, but I've never been much of a Honda fan (except for the NSX)

Mitsubishi - iMiev is too small, has too little range. Outlander PHEV was intriguing for about 20 minutes, then I discovered the battery was air cooled - no thanks, don't want battery degradation

Nissan - Leaf means battery degradation. Gen2 is no better

Fiat - Way too small, looks silly to me

Ford - Cmax looks goofy. Focus has too little range. Fusion energi is intriguing after I had a Fusion Hybrid as a car
rental. But it's not enough to cause me to trade in my Volt

Chrysler - My family is under strict orders to shoot me if I ever buy a minivan, so no Pacifica PHEV for me

Smart - See Fiat

VW - Today, you can only get the eGolf, and it has too little range to be of use to me. Plus there's also punishment for DieselGate, the Holocaust... I was raised by a Jewish mother.

Audi - A3 eTron has too little range, but their bigger electrified SUVs on the horizon should be interesting

Jaguar - Finally, something that has some substance, a serious contender, though pricey at $70-80K

Tesla - Continued delays, plus recent screwing of hundreds of thousands of reservation holders. I cancelled my Model 3 reservation in April 2016. Get the Model Y, truck, and Roadster 2.0 out in the next two years and we'll consider one of them. I'm guessing it will be at least 4 before we see any of these 3

Mini - See Smart

Mercedes - that B series was about as silly as the i3. Other hybrids are like BMW. GLC 350e 4matic only has 21 miles of EV range

Volvo - current SUV PHEVs are interesting, low on EV range compared to the Volt, but the cavernous space is nice. My brother in law has the bigger one, loves it, but 13 miles of EV range won't work for me.

Porsche - Current PHEVs are like BMW and Mercedes, more for performance with a little range. When Mission-e arrives, that should be interesting, but the price will make it a non-starter for many

Karma - Already went out of business once, goofy smile of a grill, way overpriced, no thanks.

Still, they're coming at a glacial pace. Maybe 2019-20 will be kind to us, but then I will never buy a first model year car, so if something comes in 2020, I won't pull the trigger until 2021. That's 3 years from now.

Maybe we need Apple to pull the Steve Job's "Oh, we have one more thing"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...ion-into-stolen-trade-secrets-aapl/ar-AAzWiDN

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
8 months to go......... or did Reuss mean these two SAIC/Baojun/GM cars?
I used to work for SAIC.... not the Chinese car company, but the US defense contractor that is now split into SAIC and Leidos. Had I stayed, I'd be on the Leidos side of things.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Maybe we need Apple to pull the Steve Job's "Oh, we have one more thing"
You made some good points, some just silly.

Koreans make some of the best most reliable vehicles out there. My brother-in-law bought a Genesis because it drove better than a BMW.

My sister said the Mini is the best car she's ever driven (other than a Ferarri)has had two ever since she drove one in Australia.

Your avoidance of German cars because of the Holocaust reminds me of a TV show about this younger guy taking his VW Beetle across Israel to get it fixed. They were assembled in Belgium and sold in Israel to deflect any such feelings. Hint: Nobody making/selling these cars was involved in WWII.

But there are lots of choices (compared to a year or two ago) and the flood gates are about the break. The auto industry have always introduced there preproduction and concept cars at auto shows (and now social media as well) to gage reaction and interest and get some buzz. And at 1.5% of the market they get a lot of media buzz as well which for the companies is worth a lot in getting their names out there. Better cars will begat more better cars and we are just at the beginning.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Either you are "not looking" or just ignoring the facts. GM did announce a new Buick based on the Chevy Bolt EV. The second one was seen in a GM presentation and it was a CUV. GM doesn't announce real hardware until it is ready. That is to avoid the competition from copying their products. The Bolt EV was an example of their late surprises when it was announced and presented as real hardware in 2015. Keep your faith alive, as I have done since 2009.
You will of course provide a citation for these vehicles for the U.S. market that you speak of.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
VW isn't a stupid company. You don't spend $2 billion on charging infrastructure and then not profit from the build out. These cars are coming soon. I'll be surprised if they aren't both available to purchase in a couple of years.
Not s stupid company, pulling at folks of a particularl demographics heartstrings with something that resembles something cheap, simple , efficient from a bygone era.

Despite not being stupid those are terrible names, Croz, Buzz what is this Duke Nukem?
Further why call your vehicle “Electric Mobility” makes it sound like your selling wheelchairs

Vapor ware with style over function and sized to fit a car hauler, sink and toilet inside.

Now if they could pull off the bigger car weighs half as much trick with the so called ultra low cost fiber material that costs 1/3 steel then they might have something, at least for city speeds.

Aero will still kill that class c brick at above 35mph though, might make a good motor home.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts