GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volkswagen has revealed when you can hit the road in its electric Microbus. The 2024 ID.Buzz in a long-wheelbase passenger format will be available in the US in 2023, the year after the vehicle first goes on sale in Europe, VW told Car and Driver.

Reactions: microVOLT

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never had a microbus nor a minivan, but I could see myself with one of these VW's. VW did a great styling job that captures the essence of the old microbus.

Speaking of road trips, because they take 1000+ mile cross country road trips, I have family members say they either: A - will never buy an EV, or B - will buy one when recharges take only 5 minutes every 300-400 miles. A Volt-like large SUV might get them in the game, but the closest is a pricey Volvo XC90 or XC60 Recharge SUV with an anemic 18 to 19 EV miles. Pacifica minivan is a no go.

Lots of new EV's coming in the next 3 to 4 years, but no Volt-like combo's that I know of.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
While I have taken road trips in the past I still had to stop for gas every so often as the Javelin only had a 312 mile range. I did run out of gas at night (stuck gauge or sender) at one point, fortunately I had just passed a rural motel about a half mile back to phone for a truck to bring out a gallon. This past decade, although I can drive all day with the TR7, I stop every 100 to 200 miles for a stretch break and to refresh the mind. I don't drive interstates (unless I have to) because on a road trip I don't want to see the road, I want to see the interesting stops on the way and interstates are just boring drives. With car club drives (which can be up to 3,000 miles) there are older people which usually means every hour or two (depending on how much coffee they had at breakfast) for pit stops. I would imagine with small kids would be about the same. Most EVs would be just fine. If you have to do some planning, that only makes for a more interesting drive. If it's the destination rather than the journey, well, that's what air lines are for.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
522 Posts
I never had a microbus nor a minivan, but I could see myself with one of these VW's. VW did a great styling job that captures the essence of the old microbus.

Speaking of road trips, because they take 1000+ mile cross country road trips, I have family members say they either: A - will never buy an EV, or B - will buy one when recharges take only 5 minutes every 300-400 miles. A Volt-like large SUV might get them in the game, but the closest is a pricey Volvo XC90 or XC60 Recharge SUV with an anemic 18 to 19 EV miles. Pacifica minivan is a no go.

Lots of new EV's coming in the next 3 to 4 years, but no Volt-like combo's that I know of.
There is also the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, with a Volt sized battery pack, ACC option, AWD etc. It offers a lot for someone looking for a transition SUV. It accepts DC fast charging and I think it also offers vehicle to home or grid power.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Outlander PHEV is interesting but has a reliability cloud hanging over it (and most newer Mitsu offerings apparently).

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Outlander battery is forced air cooled (A/C cooled if needed). No way you are going to get as good a cooling by air.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Air cooled = no way.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It should be powered by compressed air and sense of self satisfaction. Also, it should also be called a Voltswagen. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts

I know no one wants the minivan, but it is very Volt like and great on the open road. It gets about 36 miles on pure battery, which is about the same as my volt. Yes, if you floor it, the motor will kick in. It is basically a supersized hybrid. However, my wife has driven for weeks without using the engine kicking in, including highway. The rebate makes it cheap enough to expect some repairs due to Chrysler reliability. With the 6.6kw charger, she gets about 70 miles a day on all electric. Gas mileage is great on the road, especially in the mountains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts