GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Volkswagen is reviewing whether to invest in Ford’s autonomous vehicles division, while Ford executives are considering licensing Volkswagen’s MEB electric vehicles platform," Reuters reported.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/09/ford-volkswagen-detroit-auto-show/2527158002/

Sounds like the market may be forcing a shotgun marriage of some sort, though apparently the companies will not be merging, just getting more cozy. It could be really big, or a culture clash that dies with a whimper.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Interesting. I know that Ford was already invested in building out the IONITY network in partnership with VW and other automakers.

You know, that charging network that Tesla owners in Europe will also be able to use... I wonder if Tesla will reciprocate like they promised they would and open up the European Superchargers to owners of BMW, Daimler, Ford, VW, Audi, and Porsche EVs?

Anyway, I digress. It seems like Ford realized how far behind they were as they've been pretty much sitting on their hands for the last few years.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt that Tesla will open it's network any time soon as it's proprietary.

Yes, I think Ford is feeling the heat. I wonder if this VW/Ford team up will goose GM to react in some way? They already have some sort of sharing deal with Honda.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Well seeing that tesla has CCS in Europe they may be encouraged to do so. the question is charging for the charge.

now Ford licensing from VW does make sense since they seem to be doing about nothing and fired their last CEO because of no work on EVs

·
Registered
297 Posts
That would be the most unreliable vehicle make in recorded history.
Ford will run circles around GM reliability.
Germans do things differently just because they can, not because it's better. But talk to any engineering student in Europe, Audi/VW is a top choice to work because of their forward thinking and extensive freedom they give their engineers to do new stuff. (Like develop covert emissions bypass systems)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Ford will run circles around GM reliability.
Germans do things differently just because they can, not because it's better. But talk to any engineering student in Europe, Audi/VW is a top choice to work because of their forward thinking and extensive freedom they give their engineers to do new stuff. (Like develop covert emissions bypass systems)
Not their trucks. And German engineering sucks. Way over engineered. And VW reliable? Hahaha. Maybe a great place on the front end, try working on one.

·
Registered
297 Posts
No where in my previous posts did I claim VW or audi reliable in general. Though I've owned e Audi's and a VW TDI . All were pretty reliable, but they are expensive to repair if you don't do your own work.
Like all cars, there were good and bad things about them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts