GM Volt Forum banner

VW EV On it's Way

3958 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  El Dobro
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Administrator
23,440 Posts
After all the press releases. it's good to see VW seems to be almost ready to start delivering.

· Registered
3,293 Posts
Next few years should be interesting, not only will the announced cars be coming out but more announcements for the cars coming out in the next few years after that.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
The 330 mile range version will cost how much though ? It has been expected the low mileage pack would be in Golf TDI price ranges. VW is one of two brands I have on my list if I decide to trade out my TM3 in a few years. I have owned two TDI VWs and enjoyed them both. Sold one before I should have and got wind of DG coming and traded off the other just in time

· Administrator
23,440 Posts
The 330 mile range version will cost how much though ? It has been expected the low mileage pack would be in Golf TDI price ranges. VW is one of two brands I have on my list if I decide to trade out my TM3 in a few years. I have owned two TDI VWs and enjoyed them both.
If GM fails to deliver (who knows what they will release in the coming years?), I'd consider looking at VW offerings whenever my 2011 Volt needs to be replaced. My VW lasted decades being passed down from one relative to another over the years.

· Registered
3,293 Posts
I had a '71 VW Beatle, does that count? Drove the crap out of it and just wouldn't die. Did have to change a clutch using some two by fours and a scissor jack.

· Registered
603 Posts
VW....like Tesla......ya either love'em or hate 'em.
My Dad bought a Karman Ghia to commute to work in and that is the car I learned to drive on. It was a fun car to drive, though the VW's of that day didn't handle worth crap compared to later VW's like the Rabbit and the Dasher. Diesel-Gate was a disaster for VW and they deserve all the pain that caused them....BUT, I would still trust VW to build a decent EV and frankly, I think the "Buzz" is cool. I hope they build it!

· Administrator
23,440 Posts
I had a '71 VW Beatle, does that count? Drove the crap out of it and just wouldn't die. Did have to change a clutch using some two by fours and a scissor jack.
Mine was a 1970. Had the engine out numerous times. "Zen and the Art of Bug Repair" was my bible. Drove to Detroit at one point to get a rebuilt axle and drove it back mounted on the bumper with ropes, lol. I took that car totally apart more then once, doors, fenders, interior, the works. I learned a lot on that car including spray painting, dent repair, engine maintenance. But talk about no winter heat...

Looking back, it was probably a death trap on wheels, but I got more than my $2000 (bought new!) worth.

· Registered
3,293 Posts
Mine was a 1970. Had the engine out numerous times. "Zen and the Art of Bug Repair" was my bible. Drove to Detroit at one point to get a rebuilt axle and drove it back mounted on the bumper with ropes, lol. I took that car totally apart more then once, doors, fenders, interior, the works. I learned a lot on that car including spray painting, dent repair, engine maintenance. But talk about no winter heat...

Looking back, it was probably a death trap on wheels, but I got more than my $2000 (bought new!) worth.
I had, How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Volkswagen-Alive/dp/156261343X

Best repair book ever. No pictures just a few line drawings. Step by step for someone that has never touched a car. Also a great read on its own.

I paid $350 for mine in later seventies. The inside looked new but the outside looked like someone took a shotgun to it. I had a gas heater in mine but even at -20 you could only use it for a short period of time before you where cooking. The only thing I did to it other than oil changes was the clutch and put a racing distributor in it (a mistake as power only came on over 3,000 rpm).

· Registered
603 Posts
And it seems no matter where you are you still see old Beetles and Vans still running around. That has to say something about their quality. How many Pintos and Chevy II's are still driving around?

· Registered
747 Posts
We had an old Beetle that had such bad floor rot you could literally see the pavement when you looked down while driving. That thing is probably still on the road somewhere though.

· Administrator
23,440 Posts
We had an old Beetle that had such bad floor rot you could literally see the pavement when you looked down while driving.
After many years of use, mine was eventually "retired" for this reason. You should not see the pavement flowing below your feet unless you are walking/running on it, haha.

I had, How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Volkswagen-Alive/dp/156261343X

Best repair book ever. No pictures just a few line drawings. Step by step for someone that has never touched a car. Also a great read on its own..
I still have that book in a box somewhere. It may have a few grease fingerprints...

· Registered
3,684 Posts
If GM fails to deliver (who knows what they will release in the coming years?), I'd consider looking at VW offerings....
Me too, when I get tired of my 82 mile Chevy BEV.
I was hoping a Bolt would get some New Tech like ACC or SuperCruise, but it hasn't happened....
I may have to change brands of BEV, someday....

· Registered
3,355 Posts
My last two VWs were TDIs and I've never owned any car that had to keep on going back to the dealer like those two. It got so bad that I had to get VW in Wolfsburg involved to light a fire under VWofA's a$$ to fix the things. I'll use their Electrify America sites for charging if necessary, but it'll be a cold day in hell I'll ever have another one of their cars in my driveways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.