GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that I'm not the only "refugee" from VW diesel-land on the forum, so I thought I'd share this information: VW's online claims portal is now accepting scans of supporting documentation (such as your registration and driver's license). As I understand it, owners must submit this documentation before scheduling an appointment to turn in their cars, so if you've already got a Volt and want to turn in your diesel VW ASAP, you should probably submit those scans ASAP, to avoid delays once the settlement is finalized.

If you weren't aware of the online claims portal at all, then VW diesel owners should definitely check it out, even if you want to wait a bit before turning in your VW diesel. You can at least enter your name into the system to get the process started.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I really wish I bought a VW TDI 5 years ago, would basically be a free car besides fuel :) I have a feeling that diesels are basically dead in this country because of this.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I am so glad I got rid of my TDI before the sheet hit the fan.
Had two, over twenty years, and I'd gladly take either one of them back if I could. Got good money for both of them, too. My 2000 Jetta left the family in 2013 before the NOx hit the fan, but it's still running around in British Columbia.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I really wish I bought a VW TDI 5 years ago, would basically be a free car besides fuel :) I have a feeling that diesels are basically dead in this country because of this.
I have a feeling that's true. I was happy with them for twenty years, and I miss mine, but I think it is technology that has had its day. Oxides of nitrogen are pretty much unavoidable with compression ignition.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It's funny. None of the other manufacturers seemed to have issues with their diesels. The diesel Cruze still seems pretty viable:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160802/RETAIL03/160809957/gm-will-take-aim-at-vw-with-diesel-chevy-cruze
Yeah, but the issue is, the VW "clean" diesel was the best driving of them. Which we now know is largely because they avoided emissions.

E.g., Data on fuelly for real world MPG shows the Jetta TDI does maybe 10% better than Cruze diesel (avg of 41 vs 37). I am sure updated emissions will hurt MPG.

Even looking on Fuelly at 2015 models, there were only 322 fill ups for cruze diesel and over 4000 for Jetta.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI was the best car I've ever had, and I was sad to part with it after 13 years to get the Volt. I love my Volt, but I miss the wagon's versatility and the ability to run 100% biodiesel. VW's diesels were compatible with 100% biodiesel, up until 2009, when CARB requirements forced them to add extra exhaust cleaning components that were not compatible with biodiesel. So the CARB rules, which are supposed to help with clean air, prevented the use of the MUCH cleaner fuel. Once that happened, there was no longer a viable vehicle on the market that could run pure biodiesel, and so I left diesels and came to the Volt. So I'm back to burning petro fuel, thanks to CARB. Oh, the irony.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oh, and to add to that, those extra components increases the cost and lowered the MPG at the same time, while VW ALSO was increasing the HP, I guess to appeal to power hungry Americans, which ALSO lowered the MPG even more. Fuel economy savings that were previously enjoyed by diesels evaporated with all that crap.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Prediction: The VW group will eventually dominate the EV market.
The VW brand (not including Porsche, Audi, etc.) is so damaged, I would be surprised to see them make a come-back in the US. But reinventing the brand (like all EVs) might be the way to do it. I think an EV version of the new Beetle could be an interesting product.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
I hear coal rollers feel VW diesels are simply not dirty enough.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got better fuel mileage with a Prius.
That might be true, but I have the Jetta wagon, which blows away the space in a Prius. I can put a pod on the car and take the entire family on vacation for a week, with no problems. I couldn't do that in a Prius. (Or the Volt, for that matter.)

I've signed up and will be turning in my VW in November. In many ways, I'll miss the VW. It was well built. Additionally, it was so much easier to drive and operate than the Volt. I personally find the control system in the Volt incredibly overly complex for no good reason. For instance, to put the sound in the back, in the VW, there's a slider that goes from front to back and you don't have to slide it, you just hit near "rear" and you're done. In the Volt, you're faced with a two dimensional representation of where you can direct the sound. I have owned cars for 30+ years and never once changed right to left balance. Why does the Volt need a 2D speaker balancing representation? I like the Volt, but the VW is overall much simpler to use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can't wait to get rid of our '09 Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Love the space, love the drivetrain, torque, mileage, etc. it's just that the rest of the car is a POS. I'm not even so bothered by the pollution issue. It's just that so many other things broke and were prohibitive to fix economically. Build quality is junk IMO.

After owning countless VW brand autos, this will be the last for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The last diesel I owned was a 1979 VW, so that was before the modern turbo diesel engine, which is much improved, no doubt. There was much to dislike about that car, including one thing that I doubt has been completely fixed. Filling up the tank always left my hands reeking of diesel fuel. Those pumps were always filthy. That alone would keep me away from another diesel. Plus, unlike in those days, diesel is now more expensive than gas, so that offsets part of the efficiency gain, at least in terms of the economics of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Plus, unlike in those days, diesel is now more expensive than gas, so that offsets part of the efficiency gain, at least in terms of the economics of it.
Sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes about the same....it comes and goes. I sure do like it when it's less AND getting 40+ mpg.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts