GM Volt Forum banner

VoltStats not updating again for me.

10K views 71 replies 22 participants last post by  JoeReal 
#1 ·
It's happening again to some of us. It starts with the status update getting stuck on December 24. Then the following "Account not currently authorized - please login to reauthenticate!". And after reauthenticating, nothing happens, and slowly one by one in the achievement tab, some of your line item scores start to disappear.

Yet in myChevrolet app, I have the EV miles displayed, and my VoltStats to OnStar connection authenticated. No more mileage accumulation since December 24, 2017. :( :( :(

#2 ·
Voltstats thinks that the authorization failed but Onstar thinks it succeeded.

From Voltstats,
OnStar reported an error during the registration process. Usually these errors are intermittent, please return to your account and try again. If you continue to have issues please try waiting for an hour or two and then trying again and clearing your cookies / trying a different browser. I cannot help with authentication issues - make sure that you have a valid Onstar subscription, and that you try over the span of a couple of different days. If you continue to have issues you can email mike@voltstats.net to let me know about it, but I'll likely ignore your email or not respond for at least a week, because as I said, there's nothing I can do about it.

The e-mail from Onstar,
Congratulations on connecting your GM Account ending in ******1922!

If you did not authorize this connection, please contact us at consent@gm.com so that we can resolve the issue.

#5 ·
I had the same.
Tried it twice to be sure, same error on voltstats, but confirmation from onstar.

#3 ·
We also had problems for a couple days, but after reauthenticating, it seems to be normal again. Took a couple attempts before having success. Good luck!

#7 ·
My car last updated at 12/26/2017 2:14:17 AM CST, but some local FB members here in St Louis are reporting they needed to "reauthenticate" their vehicles.

#9 ·
I also got it to reauth after four failures by simply trying again 20 minutes later. The reauth text on the VoltStats side even says something like "If it doesn't seem to be working, try again in an hour or two."

#10 ·
I got error 404 from the VoltStats to GM websites link.

I used another browser, and was able to successfully log in from VoltStats to OnStar and then completed the linking process. VoltStats reported an error that it can't reauthenticate and I have to try a couple of hours later but I got email confirmation from OnStar of a successful confirmation!

So what gives?

I tried this a dozen of times, randomly at times, same message, even for different browsers.

#11 ·
ALEXA?

Another failed attempt and this time, something's different from the OnStar Notification email that I got. There's Alexa now!

GM is flagging the link requests from VoltStat as coming from myChevrolet Alexa skill.

"[
Congratulations on connecting the myChevrolet Alexa Skill to your GM Account ending in ******7235!

If you did not authorize this connection, please contact us at consent@gm.com so that we can resolve the issue.
]"

#12 ·
I have had the same problems authenticating with Volt stats, also with the ELR stats. This happens so often. Now Onstar doesn't even recognize my login or password. I will try for a few more days but if it isn't right by then I may just say the hell with the whole thing. Just not worth the constant hassle. I was kind of cool seeing how I rated with everyone else, but there are so many others that are not authorized, what's the point.

#14 ·
I'm going to cancel my OnStar account next month. Nothing works properly for me. I no longer get the text when it is finished charging, called OnStar and as advised by them, cleared data for the app, removed the app, reinstalled it, turned notifications off, then back on. They simply can't fix it. OnStar is as useless today as I remember it being 10 years ago so I have better things to do with my money.

Mike

#16 ·
I got the exact same response for the past couple days in 5-6 attempts, each one failed and in each case I got the "successful" email from GM.

Today I tried it again and did the suggestion noted on the Voltstats site, which was to clear cookies - I use Firefox and used the options to "clear individual cookies" and removed the ones for GM and then tried to authenticate through Voltstats again, and first try was successful.

#17 ·
VoltStats went "unverified" twice on me in the last 3-4 days.

The first time it reauthorized on the first attempt, no issue.

Happened again earlier today, tried about 6-8 times this morning to get it to re-authorized, no joy. Tried it again this evening, worked first time.

OnStar's IT department really needs to be fired and replaced with competent people. In my 6-8 months I've been with them I've come to the realization (between this, the fact 90% of my stats have never worked, and other oddities) that their IT is a train wreck.

#19 ·
Not 100% sure this is entirely incompetence as such. The confirmation page at OnStar says this is for "VoltStats 2.0" and I don't remember the 2.0 from prior auths. AND the VoltStats status page for my car has a slightly different layout around the monthly data table than I remember from last week. So while OnStar may have changed something, there's changes afoot at VS as well (probably to accommodate OS, sure) and that's gonna make for a bit of instability until the code is field tested and locked in.

#18 ·
latest issue...

My 2017 Volt has been lying to me lately. Every morning, after my alarm goes off, the first thing I do after shutting the alarm off is to precondition my Volt twice, using the myChevrolet app. The app responds that the preconditioning command is successful, one after the other, so it should have a total of 20 minutes preconditioning time. But 5 minutes into the preconditioning, I take a peek out of our window and the Volt is not running, not even lighted at all. So I used my FOBKey to precondition it. Has anyone else noticed this anomaly? They seem to be related to the VoltStats not getting updates and also some app not showing the EV miles. It has been fixed, but now my preconditioning commands aren't giving me the right feedback. I have the latest app downloaded.

#20 ·
The app responds that the preconditioning command is successful, one after the other, so it should have a total of 20 minutes preconditioning time. But 5 minutes into the preconditioning, I take a peek out of our window and the Volt is not running, not even lighted at all. So I used my FOBKey to precondition it. Has anyone else noticed this anomaly?
Doubt it's anything related to VoltStats or the issues there, I stick with my suggestion that it's incompetence at OnStar.

Not 100% sure this is entirely incompetence as such. The confirmation page at OnStar says this is for "VoltStats 2.0" and I don't remember the 2.0 from prior auths. AND the VoltStats status page for my car has a slightly different layout around the monthly data table than I remember from last week. So while OnStar may have changed something, there's changes afoot at VS as well (probably to accommodate OS, sure) and that's gonna make for a bit of instability until the code is field tested and locked in.
Look at the VoltStats Facebook page - the admin has clearly stated what the issue with, and it's OnStar, not his end. Like I said, along with all the other weird **** I've seen happen with OnStar since we've been a customer, the fact that half the features related to the Volt don't work for half of us here (seemingly randomly, at that), and other weird behaviour (see post just above yours), I'm fairly steadfast on my suggestion that this is all incompetence in OnStar's IT Department.

#23 · (Edited)
Got an email from Voltstats saying I had lost authorization a week or so ago. Same thing yesterday but finally was able to authorized using the Microsoft Edge browser. Today I get another email from voltstats saying I had lost authorization again. Now I cannot get voltstats to authorize no matter what browser I use (IE, Chrome, and Edge). Funny thing is even though the voltstat site says it failed to authorize, every time I try I get an email from Onstar saying Congratulations on connecting your GM account.

#26 · (Edited)
Mine lost authenication again and I couldn't get it re-authenticated so I waited a day and it did finally authenticate. Only this time the email from OnStar was the following:

"Congratulations on connecting the myChevrolet Alexa Skill to your GM Account."

I didn't even know there was a mychevrolet Alexa Skill and I can't find it to add it to my Amazon Echo. Very strange. Maybe Amazon is adding a skill for Chevrolet and OnStar is screwing it up by confusing it with VoltStats? At any rate this morning I got another Error Authenicating email from VoltStats.

#27 ·
I was not able to find a Chevrolet Alexa Skill either. There is a list of them (connected car) here: https://www.amazon.com/b?node=14284820011 (Maybe I'll try to use one of the Tesla ones. Would be useful to warm car up before we go out ... like today at -5F we used the phone app to warm the battery (fairly new option to do it via the grid) and the interior.

I just re-auth'd a few days ago and had to do it again today. My email said: "Congratulations on connecting your GM Account ending in ******0123!"

#30 · (Edited)
I think this whole thing with OnStar is, in a way, just kind of strange. One or more issues have been occurring on and off for a long time and have been affecting a large percentage of drivers (at least, as best I can tell by taking some polls here). Ok, so stuff happens and sometimes it's harder to fix than other times. Yet, this situation just keeps going on, and for what seems like (from my end) just some data issue that one would think could be cleared up, at least in a few weeks.

#33 ·
The reauthorization process seems to be broken. I tried 10 times last night and 10 this morning and it didn't work although I did get e-mails from On-start saying that it did work. The problem seems to be Voltstats.

#34 ·
The problem seems to be Voltstats.
The Voltstats admin has been very clear that it's GM's portion of the process that's broke, not his end.

Anyhow, despite getting mine successfully reauthorized last night I just checked and it didn't pull any data from the car (my last update still shows Dec 29'th) so I suspect I'm going to get an "Authorization failed" alert from Voltstats again anytime now. It usually pulls data at around 4-6AM or so based on my previous history.

#43 ·
We are all on the outside looking in. We have no way of determining where the fault lies. The Voltstats maintainer believes the problem is with Onstar but that doesn't mean that he is correct. As an engineer who has spent 40 years hunting for bugs I can tell you that it's not uncommon to be surprised when you find the source of the bug, it can be in an area where least suspect it. The unfortunate thing here is that Onstar has no interest in helping to resolve this, I'm sure that if they spent a few hours working with Voltstats they could figure this out, I'm sure that whatever it is the fix will be trivial. If I were in charge of the engineering team at Onstar I would want to know why this was happening, not because Voltstats is important financially to GM but because they may have uncovered an important bug which effects everyone who is using their interface.

#44 ·
If I were in charge of the engineering team at Onstar I would want to know why this was happening
It's been 8+ months and they haven't been able to get the basic statistics to display on the MyVolt site despite two personal tickets (and many, many more filed by other members here), so I don't hold out much faith anymore in their IT department.

#45 ·
As expected I got another "authorization failed" email from VoltStats again last night. Surprisingly, it re-authorized first time I tried, but, still no data still this morning, so I'm expecting another failure message tonight.

A bunch of people reported nonstop "charge complete" and "charge interrupted" texts from OnStar last night and throughout the night.

Further confirmation that OnStar is a mess.

#48 ·
Mine has failed three days in a row, I authenticated yesterday morning, after several attempts, in each case I got the email from OnStar acknowledging the authentication, but VoltStats showed authentication failed.

Then it finally worked, but it was already after 10AM CST, so I had to wait for last night update... nah, i got the email last night.

Is it that OnStar is trying to kill VoltStats by attrition?

When I said the wife "maybe i just need to forget about the stats" she said "that looks like a great idea!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.