GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, with this brutal winter, I really did not think I was going to make it another whole year. I had a couple of really, really close calls, but I was able to make it to the easy times of warmer weather. My streak really goes back to 2/11/12 but this did not show up on VoltStats due to the battery enhancement fix and the tech driving my Volt beyond its range. In my book, that doesn't count as I was not driving!

Before any one asks, no I do not use another vehicle to pad my stats. I simply use public charging stations. I plan accordingly. If I go into DC, I make sure there is a charging station near where I am going or use the free ones by the Navy Yard and take the Metro.

I seem to have driven a bit more in my second year into the streak

1YR Streak: 18,549 EV miles
2YR Streak: 42,393 EV miles

·
Registered
500 Posts
Awesome numbers. Wish we had more charging stations up here in NH. I do have over 50k EV miles but more due to the amount of driving I do. Over 77k miles and battery still strong as ever. Even with my 2011 I am now regularly hitting 50 or 51 miles EV miles in my 54 mile commute with the temps in 60-70's.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Those are incredible numbers. Meanwhile, the town I commute to only has 3 EVSEs and none are near where I work, so I hit using fuel daily because of my 50 mile commute. I wish the car had 80 miles of range (crossing fingers for Volt II to be able to make it)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Congratulations, Ari! Those are some very impressive numbers! More than 50,000 miles and you have filled the tank once? Wow.
And I was happy with my 434 mpg...

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
congratulations, I'm happy that you do this because it frees me up to not worry or wonder about it... Yesterday, I was most of the way home and remembered something I had left on my desk at work. a 30 mile round trip detour gave me a 65 mile trip home, but in my Volt, NO Problem, just $1.10 worth of gasoline.... its a great car for both of us....

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ziv, my total gasoline I've purchased in 7.4 gallons for a total of $30.64. Pretty easy to keep track of when there are only 3 trips to the gas station!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
That is too cool! In retrospect, I wish I could have had Criswell reset the gas used on my Volt before I drove it off the lot. It was only 2 or 3 gallons used, but my number would be slightly better if there was a way to zero out the gas used by the dealer. I have had 3 fillups, also, in 11 months. Two were around 6.5 gallons, and one was of 2 gallons so that Fuelly dot com would recognize my car.
So my Cyber Volt is not bad, but not in Ari's class! :)

Ziv, my total gasoline I've purchased in 7.4 gallons for a total of $30.64. Pretty easy to keep track of when there are only 3 trips to the gas station!

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's awesome congratulations!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had 3 fillups, also, in 11 months. Two were around 6.5 gallons, and one was of 2 gallons so that Fuelly dot com would recognize my car.
Yes, fuelly does not work well with my driving pattern.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/plug1n/volt

I posted a tweet to fuelly about that and this was the conversation.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Well, with this brutal winter, I really did not think I was going to make it another whole year. I had a couple of really, really close calls, but I was able to make it to the easy times of warmer weather. My streak really goes back to 2/11/12 but this did not show up on VoltStats due to the battery enhancement fix and the tech driving my Volt beyond its range. In my book, that doesn't count as I was not driving!

Before any one asks, no I do not use another vehicle to pad my stats. I simply use public charging stations. I plan accordingly. If I go into DC, I make sure there is a charging station near where I am going or use the free ones by the Navy Yard and take the Metro.

I seem to have driven a bit more in my second year into the streak

1YR Streak: 18,549 EV miles
2YR Streak: 42,393 EV miles

Let me add my congratulations, Ari. 8^D

Can you tell us about the day you drove 313 miles on electricity?

How are your tires holding up? Any guestimate on miles left on them?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me add my congratulations, Ari. 8^D

Can you tell us about the day you drove 313 miles on electricity?

How are your tires holding up? Any guestimate on miles left on them?
I wrote a post about my 313 EV miles here

My tires are pretty worn around the edges, I bought a used set from a member of this forum with 10K miles on them. I will probably be swapping them out soon. Just don't want to take the range hit compared to the older tires!

They would not have been so worn on the edges if I had done my alignments more frequently I guess.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
What you are proving is that with the right infrastructure in place, cars with HUGE and EXPENSIVE battery packs could be the exception rather than the norm.

But unfortunately the EV charging infrastructure in most of this country is still in it's infancy and in my neck of the woods almost non-exsistant.

In any event congrats and I'm envious. Keep on trucking my friend.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Congrats Ari. I just completed two years without ever exceeding my range. I had never seen the car switch from EV to gas during a trip. I have burned gas during FMMs and a couple ERDTTs in the two years but never saw it actually change. I changed this yesterday when I took the Volt to Philly. It was pretty cool seeing how smooth the transition was from electric to gas.

On a side note, I was having major charging issues at the Philadelphia Downtown Marriott. They have no level 2 EV stations but told me I could use one of their 110 outlets. It was valet parking and they told me they would plug me in. The OnStar app was down, do I could not see any charging status. When I woke up this morning, I found they never plugged me in. The valet manager was apologetic and had me move the car to a spot with an outlet. The outlet would not stay charged at 12 amps so I reset it to 8 amps. This worked fine for a while and then I checked the OnStar app (it was working this afternoon) and I saw that it was not plugged in anymore. For some reason, they unplugged me and moved me to a different spot.

Not sure what happened but I saw an adjacent garage with two free Chargepoint level 2s and moved my car there. I will be talking to the Marriott folks about this.

Anyway, I can vouch for the Volt on an extended road trip. Much better experience that it would have been in my wife's Prius. Maybe one day you will take your Volt on a trip as well.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What you are proving is that with the right infrastructure in place, cars with HUGE and EXPENSIVE battery packs could be the exception rather than the norm.
I would like a large pack, would make some things a bit easier, even a 2013 battery would be nice. I am fortunate in that there is infrastructure around Northern VA where I really need it.

Congrats Ari. I just completed two years without ever exceeding my range. I had never seen the car switch from EV to gas during a trip. I have burned gas during FMMs and a couple ERDTTs in the two years but never saw it actually change. I changed this yesterday when I took the Volt to Philly. It was pretty cool seeing how smooth the transition was from electric to gas.
Funny, my very first drive in the Volt I switched to gas. That still stands as the most gas I every used during a drive. I looked at the trip recently on Google maps and realized there was a shorter way I could have gone to shave a number of miles off my trip. I'll chalk that up to rookie mistake! I did notice how well it did switch to gas. You know you bought your Volt almost the same day my streak began, off by one day. Have a safe drive back.

I just had to kick an SUV trying to park in an EV spot at the Mosaic Target garage this evening. Seriously, I was right behind him and that was MY spot. My wife told me it looked like I was having too much fun doing that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts