GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was able to make it a whole year without using any gasoline for driving. My streak really goes back to 2/11/12 but this did not show up on VoltStats due to the battery enhancement fix and the tech driving my Volt beyond its range. In my book, that doesn't count as I was not driving :). Anyway, here are the 1 year stats.

EV Miles: 18,549
Total Miles: 18,549
Gallons Used: 0.43
EMMs: 9
Satisfaction: Priceless

I am able to go beyond a year as my first FMM was back in November 2012 and I had burned most of my gasoline in Dec 2011, so I had just under a 1/2 tank when FMM #1 came around. I will not be so lucky this coming November.

Before any one asks, no I do not use another vehicle to pad my stats. I simply use public charging stations. I plan accordingly. If I go into DC, I make sure there is a charging station near where I am going. Actually, I find the nearest one, and simply walk a bit.

My commute is 40 miles r/t and there is no place to charge at my office. However, there is a free charger on my route and an alternate one a mile out of my way. If temperatures drop to the upper 20s, it is almost impossible to make the 40 miles, without having to "cheat" and use a charger for 20 min or so. Colder than 26, I really cheat and use remote desktop from home as I am trying to avoid the dreaded ERDTLT. I only had to do this 4 days or so last winter. Only problem with the warmer temperatures is that there isn't a challenge anymore on my commute. I liked trying to milk every last 0.1 kWh out of the battery trying to make it home 100% EV.

I do have a challenge this Memorial Day with the 2013 Electric Sociability Run. My r/t will be almost 70 miles, so I will need to be creative with charging to make it 100% EV

I know I should just drive the Volt like a car, but honestly I am having way too much fun with this. If I am going to drive, mine as well make it enjoyable. I have to say, the Volt is more fun to drive than my '95 RX-7 with its twin turbos and 18 mpg :(.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations! Why not look into a BEV?
Because I love my Volt. Ok, I would consider a Tesla, but it is a bit out of my price range.

At the time I bought my Volt it was either a Leaf or a Volt and I had 0 interest in the Leaf. I also did not know I would be able to even make my 40 mile r/t commute. However, after adjusting my commute to favor local roads, I could do it without much trouble even during the winter.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
WOW, my Volt is my DD and I'm at 11K miles and 10K on the battery or 91% as reported by VoltStats. My commute is 22 miles r/t so I bought the Volt knowing I could/should be able to operate it more than 90% of the miles off the grid.

And I was able to do this charging with the OEM 120V EVSE. I just installed a 240V EVSE not because I need it, but for the safety, security of a dedicated line. Halving charging times was just a neat bonus.

You obviously bought the right tool for the job. Kudo's to you and your Volt.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, I was able to make it a whole year without using any gasoline for driving. My streak really goes back to 2/11/12 but this did not show up on VoltStats due to the battery enhancement fix and the tech driving my Volt beyond its range. In my book, that doesn't count as I was not driving :). Anyway, here are the 1 year stats.

EV Miles: 18,549
Total Miles: 18,549
Gallons Used: 0.43
EMMs: 9
Satisfaction: Priceless
ari_c, that's outstanding. Congratulations!

Here are my scores as of today:
Text Font Web page Screenshot Display advertising

PowerTrip had an interesting idea awhile back about "who's the most well rounded Volt" and multiplying the 6 VoltStats scores. Obviously your low ICE usage gives you abnormally low MPGcs. I'm trying hard to get all my scores to be 90%+ but I still have ways to go in "Total Miles" category - and my MPGcs keeps going lower in the process :)

Happy Volting!
Ed

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
How in the heck did you do 261 EV miles in one day?

Even at 50 miles per charge, that's charging 5 times @ 4 hrs per that's 20 hours for charging! You sleep while the Volt slept?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How in the heck did you do 261 EV miles in one day?

Even at 50 miles per charge, that's charging 5 times @ 4 hrs per that's 20 hours for charging! You sleep while the Volt slept?
It was an attempt to break the record holder at time time who had 254 miles.

I chose a poor day to do it as the exit ramp on the interstate was being repaved and I had to take an alternate route which cost quite a bit of time on each of my 7 trips. 6 out of 7 trips was right around 40 miles. I was not going for range, but rather speed.

A full charge was right around 3.5 hours. Each of my trips returned back to my house where I would try to sleep for a little bit. I really didn't and it took my body almost 2 days to recover from this crazy challenge.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Why waste the gas by letting the Volt do its fuel maintenance mode auto burn-off when you could use the gas for actual driving? Seems silly to me. I've gone six months without refilling the tank, but I use about a gallon per month, so that means I'll only have to fill up about three times every two years. Isn't that good enough? Plus, no wasteful FMM.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why waste the gas by letting the Volt do its fuel maintenance mode auto burn-off when you could use the gas for actual driving? Seems silly to me. I've gone six months without refilling the tank, but I use about a gallon per month, so that means I'll only have to fill up about three times every two years. Isn't that good enough? Plus, no wasteful FMM.
When you have FMM, the Volt acts as if Hold Mode is on until the tank is refilled. It is possible to leave the Volt on with the heat cranked, but that would take a LOOOONG time to burn off the tank. There are many Volt owners that would love to be able to siphon the tank rather than incur the FMM burn. Unfortunately, the Volt has an anti-siphon mechanism to prevent this.

I guess it is possible to ask the dealer to drain the tank. Personally, I would really like to be able to siphon the gas and put it in my wife's Subaru. Why burn 4.5 gallons unnecessarily. In any case, I will be putting the minimum amount of gas in my Volt the next time around. Just enough to prevent the low fuel warning.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
You guys are really,REALLY motivated. I just drive and don't worry about stats. Even so, I'm over 500mpg this month. Several years ago I predicted that my commute would yield > 600. I'm very close and not doing anything special.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It is possible to leave the Volt on with the heat cranked, but that would take a LOOOONG time to burn off the tank.
I just don't get that mentality. Why would I want to run the heat just to burn off the tank? I'd rather use the gas to actually drive somewhere!

There are many Volt owners that would love to be able to siphon the tank rather than incur the FMM burn. Unfortunately, the Volt has an anti-siphon mechanism to prevent this. I guess it is possible to ask the dealer to drain the tank. Personally, I would really like to be able to siphon the gas and put it in my wife's Subaru. Why burn 4.5 gallons unnecessarily.
Again, you wouldn't be wasting 4.5 gallons by burning them in the Volt with its 30-40 mpg efficiency. Does the Subaru get mileage that good? Why waste time trying to siphon or make an unnecessary trip to the dealership for something the mechanic probably won't even do (or will do it and charge you more money than the gas even costs).

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's wasted for him because his daily commute doesn't use any gas to begin with. Sure, he's not spending any $ on electricity during the FMM, but that's not the point :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm breathing up your tailpipe amigo...

1 year, 15,000 miles (in a day or so) and I've never stopped at a gas station except once to buy a green tea...

Except, I confess, I might be switching to a Tesla because after one year of driving my Volt, I don't need gas at all for what I need a car for. And don't get me wrong... my Volt is the best car I have ever owned. The engine and gas are just dead weight I am lugging around and they are not needed.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I am new to the forum and currently have a 2010 Prius. My wife has expressed some interest in the
Chevy Volt, as she likes the look of the vehicle, and she has a 35 mile round trip to work.

The question I have is when the battery is completely depleted does the gas motor run until the battery
is completely charged and then shut off, and you then drive another 30-40 miles until the battery is depleted and the motor once again starts and fills up the battery. On the prius the battery usually shows about an 80% charge or so,
the only time it goes to 100% indicated is going down a long grade.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am new to the forum and currently have a 2010 Prius. My wife has expressed some interest in the
Chevy Volt, as she likes the look of the vehicle, and she has a 35 mile round trip to work.

The question I have is when the battery is completely depleted does the gas motor run until the battery
is completely charged and then shut off, and you then drive another 30-40 miles until the battery is depleted and the motor once again starts and fills up the battery. On the prius the battery usually shows about an 80% charge or so,
the only time it goes to 100% indicated is going down a long grade.
When the battery is depleted, the vehicle goes into a charge sustaining mode, using the battery as a buffer for when you need more than the generator can provide. It will not recharge the battery at all, unless you select mountain mode after depleting it. The vehicle will remain at minimum SOC until you plug it in again.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Basically when the battery is depleted, the gas powered Electric generator becomes the source of the electricity for the Electric motor.
This is why the transition is completely seamless, as the car is still being powered by the Electric motor, the only thing that changes is the source of the electricity. Instead of taking its electricity from the battery, the electric motor takes it from the gas powered generator.

And so you can keep driving like that as long as there is gas in the tank.

What I did notice in that mode, is that if the gas powered electric generator is mostly providing electricity to the electric motor, it does sometimes also charge the battery a bit at the same time, and the car sometimes still uses the battery as a source.
So it is not completely back an white, the car continues to optimize all sources between battery electricity generator and regenerative breaking.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm breathing up your tailpipe amigo...

1 year, 15,000 miles (in a day or so) and I've never stopped at a gas station except once to buy a green tea...

Except, I confess, I might be switching to a Tesla because after one year of driving my Volt, I don't need gas at all for what I need a car for. And don't get me wrong... my Volt is the best car I have ever owned. The engine and gas are just dead weight I am lugging around and they are not needed.
Well, you will be visiting in soon for your FMM.

I just saw the largest collections of Teslas I have ever seen at the DC Sociability Run. I believe there were 16 Teslas, all but 3 were Model S. I have a picture of my Volt sandwiched between 4 Model-S. Very impressive that the Tesla way outnumbered the Volt.

It was a total drive of 68 miles for me today. I topped off at a Walgreens in Vienna before starting it and made the rest of the drive, but could not quite make it home. I needed another 0.5 kWh so I stopped at the Mosaic District on the way home for dinner and a charge. At one point I was on track for a 58 mile range, before I hit the uphill section returning back from DC. Driving 20 mph while leading an ELF electric-bicycle really helps the range immensely....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts