GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies of this is in the wrong forum, but since feedback from VoltShelf owners for both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Volts are helpful and there's no "General Accessories" forum, I figured this was my best bet.

I'm interested in getting a VoltShelf but am worried that it will rattle against the wide walls and the brackets and pegs it rests on while driving on vibration-heavy roads. Do any VoltShelf owners experience rattle and if you do, did you do something to fix it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi quirky,

Great question! I'm the VoltShelf guy, so I've got a dog in this fight, but I'll chime in and then get out of the way for everyone else to chime in.

A VoltShelf is quiet in normal driving conditions. On very lumpy, bumpy roads, you might get a little noise, but that is going to be very dependent on the situation. It should not be a big distraction. As long as the VS is sitting flat on its mounts, it should be very quiet in the car. I set them up at the shop to get them approximately right when installed, but a couple of minutes adjusting it to sit completely level can be important. A few guys have wrapped the tips of the brackets with tape or plastic dipped them, but this is generally not necessary. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Nope, never heard mine rattle.

Now the bolt stuck in the frame of my Volt, on the other hand....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes, mine bounces & rattles, but only on some of the very bumpy roads around my house. It's not enough of a consistent problem for me to try to fix it. If the VS was a lot heavier, it probably wouldn't bounce, but who wants to add a lot of weight to their car?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Don't remember ever hearing a rattle from my Voltshelf.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Mine fits well but over the course of time and only being supported on the corners, the center has tended to bow down slightly, which then makes a gap of maybe ¼" on the side-to-side travel and then I can hear it moving side-to-side. The solution is to reverse the strings and flip it upside down and then it's slightly bowed upward but then settles back to level and then later may have a slight bow the other way and require flipping again.

That's not to say that it's a constant thing, as in 11 months I've only flipped it twice, with the slight side-to-side movement sound telling me that it was time to flip it again.

So bottom line is that yes I've heard a slight rattle on just a couple occasions but was rectified by flipping it over. I would definitely buy one again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Never noticed a rattle in 2000 miles.

Really keeps stuff in the hatch area from cooking in the sun too.

·
Registered
907 Posts
It's got enough cushioning around the perimeter, that, no it doesn't rattle. The first few months I had mine, it sagged really badly in the middle, to the point that if would fall off the rear supports. I turned it over "upside-down", and it sagged back the other way, and it actually straightened out pretty flat. Even now, 2 years later, it's still flat. I guess it just really wanted to be upside down.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If you do have a rattle, a couple of the felt pads from a Velcro kit will quiet it down. Just stick them to any areas of your vehicle where the VS contacts when the hatch is down.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you the reviews, everyone. I think I can handle dampening the rattle with some rubber or foam edging but the sagging in the middle I did not account for. I think I'll pass on the VoltShelf for now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the sagging worries. Mine's been in for almost a year and has actually bowed up slightly. Just flip it over occasionally (I haven't needed to). And I can't say I've ever heard it rattle, and I live on 3/4 mile of dirt and washboard road. Don't forget the Voltscreen to go with it, there's a discount for both.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The sag on mine may have been due to the different materials on each side. I have "leatherette" on one side, carpet on the other. That and the hot TX sun. But as I mentioned, after flipping it (to carpet side up) it's been fine (flat) for 2 years.

I've looked at the OEM roll cover. VoltShelf is better.

I'd buy it again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts