GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my recently purchased VoltScreen this week. Looks good, no?

For anyone who might not know about the VoltScreen; it’s a product made by forum member Scarlett at:

http://voltshelf.weebly.com

It installs over the radiator opening on the lower front of the car. The product is a fine wire mesh, powdercoated and trimmed with plastic edging. Its purpose is to stop rocks from passing through the bars and striking the front radiator. Since the radiator is mounted low, it is vulnerable to damage of this sort.

Before I installed the VoltScreen, I took the opportunity to examine my radiator. I was surprised to see the amount of dings in it. There was almost as much surface area dinged as not. The more dings there are, the less airflow through the radiator. This results in loss of cooling efficiency and less airflow to the rear radiators.

Additionally, a larger rock of the right shape, momentum, and incoming angle could pass through the bars in front of the radiator and conceivably puncture it, which would be a trip stopper and a big repair headache.

Speaking from experience, last summer while operating my Seadoo in shallow water, I had a large flat rock sucked through the intake grill and jam the impeller. That necessitated a tow back to the dock and a couple hours of repair work. Looking at the rock after I dug it out, one would have thought there was no way it would get by the grill, but it came in at just the right angle to do so and I can imagine that happening on the Volt as well.

Cheap insurance for the price and I actually prefer the VoltScreen look over the original.

Cheers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, I agree and speaking from someone who had had the radiator replaced already this is a cheap protection. I highly recommend one for any year.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Not to take away any of your business, but shouldn't GM provide this as standard equipment?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Not to take away any of your business, but shouldn't GM provide this as standard equipment?

They do, sort of since the addition of the part above equipped on Volts now but it doesn't protect the entire radiator(s) very well thus the need for the VoltScreen!;)

I actually went for protecting the whole exposed front surface of the radiator using Nomex last year as shown above in the off, off chance that a piece of debris small enough to fit thru the tiny narrow gap that runs just below the Chevy emblem where the top of the radiator is still exposed were to still get in!:eek:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I actually went for protecting the whole exposed front surface of the radiator using Nomex last year as shown above in the off, off chance that a piece of debris small enough to fit thru the tiny narrow gap that runs just below the Chevy emblem where the top of the radiator is still exposed were to still get in!:eek:
There is a gap for the Ampera too, and, yes, some projectile found the hole and flattened a water channel on mine. Looks sound, and the inverter coolant won't ever generate a pressure like an ICE will (well, very unlikely in my hands) so it looks like a non-issue, but I've also covered that gap too with a grille.

·
Registered
962 Posts
That looks great on the KJoules! I'm glad you like it. You aren't the first to say that you like the way the front of the car better with the VoltScreen on it. And thanks for the description of the problem and plug, too!! As much and I preach, the word on this issue still isn't out there that well.

I think we still need to get you in a VoltShelf, don't we?

Thanks,

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts