GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here is one of the 10 Volts listed on Voltstats.net that have less than 20% of EV usage. Is that accurate, or is there a glitch in Voltstats?

If is is accurate, I am curious to know why one would get a Volt, but not charge it up regularly and get some strictly EV miles out of it. (There are 7 Volts with less than 15% of the miles driven EV and one with only 1.6% EV miles- that is only about 236 EV miles out of a total of 14,289 miles driven!).

It is a free country, and of course we are all free to use our Volts as we see fit. But I am dumbfounded by those stats and trying to understand why or how they are so low. I think the average is around 60% EV usage, so under 20% is WAY under average. Perhaps there is a good reason for the low number of EV miles in some circumstances that escape me. I am just trying to get my head around the idea that there are Volts out there that are almost always run on gas-generated juice.

Could it be that gas is cheaper than electricity in some places? Busted cars or chargers that do not get fixed? People who want to make Volts look bad?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Probably fleet drivers. Remember, there was a story about people complaining that "GE is forcing employees to drive Volts". You will see a lot of "gas-only" Volt drivers in some cases if they really are "forced" to drive it.

I was 25% last week because I drove the first 1000 miles from FL to PA but hope to get it way up there this year.

Outliers like those are not always worth looking at. Writers may pick up on a few of those stats and do big headlines in hit-pieces but most rational people will simply ignore things on the fringes of the bell-curve.

·
Administrator
20,431 Posts
Toyota engineers trying to game the system? :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
I wondered that myself. Unless there is a good reason I cannot see spending $40K + for a car that gets 40 Mpg when you can get an all gas car for a fraction of the price. You got me, people can buy it as they please.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah- "forced" Volt drivers- I had not thought of that. I think that may be the best explanation.

I love mine so much that it did not even occur to me that someone could be forced against their will to drive one and refuse to plug it in as revenge.

Certainly in your case, where you went more than a 1000 miles to get the car, and have only had it a short time it makes sense too.

But the cars on Voltstats with low % of EV have around 9000+ to 20,000+ miles on them. So they do not fall into the "new Volt picked-up far from home" category.

Any employers out there that want to force me to drive a Fisker or a Tesla? I promise to plug it in...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm glad you asked. I have one of those Volts, WDT Volt, 2629, and it says my EV% is 11.6, which is completely bogus. I had my Volt in for service a few weeks ago to replace the driver's LCD screen (blanking out in the heat), and when I got it back, all my online stats were screwed up. Prior to that I was right around 68% EV miles and my CS mpg was in the mid 36's. Now my CS mpg is 99.65!

The total mileage is pretty much correct and current. This sucks because I don't know how it will ever get correct. I don't know if the totals are all stored in the car and those are messed up or what. Things are screwed up on myvolt.com too.

·
Administrator
20,431 Posts
Someone provided a fleet car who also has no charge opportunity at home? Or someone who bought a Volt only to find out they can't charge because of a mean spirited homeowners association?

I recall someone (in the DC area?) being told they could no longer plug in to the association's outlet for their private, on street parking. They either had to move, sell the car, or drive on gas.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ps.-Our-long-tale-of-woe.&highlight=townhouse

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just wondering if anyone here is one of the 10 Volts listed on Voltstats.net that have less than 20% of EV usage. Is that accurate, or is there a glitch in Voltstats?

If is is accurate, I am curious to know why one would get a Volt, but not charge it up regularly and get some strictly EV miles out of it. (There are 7 Volts with less than 15% of the miles driven EV and one with only 1.6% EV miles- that is only about 236 EV miles out of a total of 14,289 miles driven!).

It is a free country, and of course we are all free to use our Volts as we see fit. But I am dumbfounded by those stats and trying to understand why or how they are so low. I think the average is around 60% EV usage, so under 20% is WAY under average. Perhaps there is a good reason for the low number of EV miles in some circumstances that escape me. I am just trying to get my head around the idea that there are Volts out there that are almost always run on gas-generated juice.

Could it be that gas is cheaper than electricity in some places? Busted cars or chargers that do not get fixed? People who want to make Volts look bad?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mark
On the other side of the coin, you could ask why the people at the very top of the leaderboard got a Volt. Sometimes people just want what they want, (=

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm glad you asked. I have one of those Volts, WDT Volt, 2629, and it says my EV% is 11.6, which is completely bogus. I had my Volt in for service a few weeks ago to replace the driver's LCD screen (blanking out in the heat), and when I got it back, all my online stats were screwed up. Prior to that I was right around 68% EV miles and my CS mpg was in the mid 36's. Now my CS mpg is 99.65!

The total mileage is pretty much correct and current. This sucks because I don't know how it will ever get correct. I don't know if the totals are all stored in the car and those are messed up or what. Things are screwed up on myvolt.com too.
A function of these crazy EV% numbers is also crazy MPGe. I am seeing four Volts in this category, including Melvin.

If I understand the formula correctly, no Volt should ever exceed 93MPGe (unless their real MPG was >93).

In Melvin's case, the #EV miles has been artifically slashed with the result making all his miles look like CS miles, but the amount of gas used must still be correct, thereby inflating both the MPGcs and MPGe. I would bet the other three >93 MPGe folks are in the same boat.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Then there's all the people who "game the system" the other way, by owning two cars and driving their "other" car when it's out of Volt EV range. You guys know who you are!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts

WHAT? You got one of the secret 100mpg carburetors? How can I get one? Or did you buy one of each of all those fuel savers advertised on late night TV.

·
Administrator
20,431 Posts
Then there's all the people who "game the system" the other way, by owning two cars and driving their "other" car when it's out of Volt EV range. You guys know who you are!!!
That's right, Jay Leno, we are talking about you! :)

·
Registered
396 Posts

A few are data glitches like MelvinJ pointed out. Go to reading history and select EV Miles. Tom's Volt, Volt-Blacky are the same way.

As for the others.... maybe they just don't know what they've got? Then again, how and why are they on Voltstats?

Sample_skewed_Voltstat_data.jpg

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'm doing my best to make up for those bottom 20. Of course those bottom 20 may be trying to make up for me :)

I game the system by stopping at a charger for a few minutes if I am coming back from a long drive near the edge of my range so I can go the full way on EV. I'm fortunate that there is a free charger right on my way back from DC or Maryland in case I need a few miles boost.

I don't use my wife's car, I simply will delay a bit until I have enough charge to go the full trip. I have not had any out of town trips since I bought my Volt so I am able to achieve some remarkable numbers.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm doing my best to make up for those bottom 20. Of course those bottom 20 may be trying to make up for me :)

I game the system by stopping at a charger for a few minutes if I am coming back from a long drive near the edge of my range so I can go the full way on EV. I'm fortunate that there is a free charger right on my way back from DC or Maryland in case I need a few miles boost.

I don't use my wife's car, I simply will delay a bit until I have enough charge to go the full trip. I have not had any out of town trips since I bought my Volt so I am able to achieve some remarkable numbers.
I wouldn't call this gaming the system, especially since the charger is on the way home.... Those are real EV miles in my book.

Choosing to drive a 2nd vehicle (that gets less MPG than a Volt) for long road trips, just to keep your Volt stats higher is gaming the system...

Choosing to sit parked while in maintenance mode to prevent any gasoline miles on Voltstats is gaming the system....

·
Registered
93 Posts

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me with my car. I had to have the driver side display replaced and my total EV miles went to zero. I am one of the cars on the Volt Stats site that has over 14,000 miles but almost no EV miles. I was running almost 77% electric miles.

I'm "Tom's Volt" on the Volt Stats site.

·
Registered
201 Posts

I can adjust data if you let me know about situations like this - I really need to write some code to autodetect obviously bad data like this, though. Your car is partially fixed, I still need to adjust some things related to some newer code I've added recently, I should have it all working tonight.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can adjust data if you let me know about situations like this - I really need to write some code to autodetect obviously bad data like this, though. Your car is partially fixed, I still need to adjust some things related to some newer code I've added recently, I should have it all working tonight.
I'm fixed! Thanks! "Tom's Volt"

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm at around 30% EV usage and slowly dropping. This is for a couple of reasons.

First, right now, I travel twice a week for work. My trip is about 120 miles one way, 240 miles round trip. And there is nowhere to charge at the midway point. For that trip, it means less than 20% EV usage. That gets dragged back up to around 30% by mostly all EV driving on other days of the week. I do not expect this to last indefinitely; eventually something has to give and I won't be making these trips anymore.

Second, I'm a big supporter of the electrification of the automobile. Given my current commute, what options are there if I want support this movement? The choices right now are a 85KWh Tesla Model S, which is well out of my budget right now, or a plug-in hybrid. Who has the best most advanced forward thinking longest EV range and good looking plug-in hybrid? Chevy. The others, most not even on the market yet, don't stack up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts