GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**UPDATE: ERROR...STILL pretty [email protected] $24,145 (original # = I was up all night helping my wife pack for a trip, & so I'm feeling like a zombie in the Volt commercial, LOL)
West Virginians take note! If you register your new Volt in West Virginia, you are entitled to a STATE tax credit of up to $7500.
This credit, in addition to the Fed tax credit of $7500, brings the base $31,645 MSRP of the Volt down to a freakin' $24,145

That is a FACT. AMAZING.

In fact, it gets better still: As noted on Facebook Chevy Volt Owners group, you West Virginians don't have to even purchase your Volt in W.VA to take advantage of your state tax credit.

So it occurred to me that a West Virginian could buy from Stingray Chevrolet in FL for ~$2500 off invoice, then register in W. VA, and literally get a brand new Volt for $21,645 (with full tax credits). (I have no affiliation with Stingray, but they are known on this forum for giving great deals.) That is amazing.

There is a nice generic sticky post by WopOnTour on the incentives available in various states.
You can also view the same Incentives data presented in a different format, here: http://www.chevrolet.com/chevy-volt-electric-car-tax-credit/

However, West Virginia really needed to be called out, for the sake of any West Virginians browsing this forum, ergo this thread. For a basic econo-car price a West Virginian can get the best car in the world. WOW. GAH... GO RIGHT NOW and buy your VOLT !!!
I'm posting this just so people don't miss the amazing opportunity: I felt that since gm-volt is viewed by a lot of newcomers, this fact deserved a thread of its own.

Also of note, it turns out that W. VA has a 50% tax credit for infrastructure costs (charging station setup!) up to $10,000. Wow.

Other excellent tax credits states include Colorado (up to $6000), Hawaii (up to $4500), Illinois (up to $4000), and more.

Volt_DEAL.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
True. It's against the uniform commercial code to discriminate only to one's own state for purchases. The key is to register in the state you live and get the credit there. I'm in Colorado with a pretty good sized tax refund (yes, refund - wonderful), and that made all the difference along with the 0 for 72 months interest free. That saved me a huge amount.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Oh, I had to purchase outside the State of Colorado regrettably to get a car.

The Fully loaded white diamond was in Nebraska. They shipped the car to my door for free which made the deal easy.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Note of caution. This is not a refundable credit. If your WV tax liability is less than $7500 you don't get the difference. You can apply it to subsequent tax years but not to past years. This is unlike the Colorado credit where the difference between the credit and your tax liability is refunded to you in that year. Here is the WV language.

(a) If the tax credit allowed under this article in any taxable year exceeds the taxpayer's tax liability as determined in accordance with article twenty-one, article twenty-three or article twenty-four of this chapter for that taxable year, the excess may be applied for succeeding taxable years until the full amount of the excess tax credit is used.

(b) No carry back to a prior taxable year is allowed for the amount of any unused credit in any taxable year.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Note of caution. This is not a refundable credit. If your WV tax liability is less than $7500 you don't get the difference. You can apply it to subsequent tax years but not to past years. This is unlike the Colorado credit where the difference between the credit and your tax liability is refunded to you in that year. Here is the WV language.
Very interesting. Actually better than I thought.... I presumed it would only apply to the current year (and only then if you have that much tax liability).

·
Registered
134 Posts
True. It's against the uniform commercial code to discriminate only to one's own state for purchases. The key is to register in the state you live and get the credit there. I'm in Colorado with a pretty good sized tax refund (yes, refund - wonderful), and that made all the difference along with the 0 for 72 months interest free. That saved me a huge amount.
You'd have to be a W va resident to get the credit, right? Why wouldn't everyone do this???

·
Registered
743 Posts
You'd have to be a W va resident to get the credit, right? Why wouldn't everyone do this???
You have to owe WV taxes to get the credit. It is a credit against WV taxes owed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts