GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody had any success using the 120V EVSE that comes standard with the Volt to charge a C-Max Energi? I tried this today and the Ford's charge port blinked blue, then stopped (dark), and it did not charge. :confused:

·
8,680 Posts
Anybody had any success using the 120V EVSE that comes standard with the Volt to charge a C-Max Energi? I tried this today and the Ford's charge port blinked blue, then stopped (dark), and it did not charge. :confused:
Huh. We had some problems initially with Leaf chargers not charging Volts because Volts originally didn't wait the full time required by the J1772 spec for power - GM updated the car firmware and now they all work together fine. Maybe the Energi twins have some not fully compliant code?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not that it matters I guess, just curiosity on my part but, what were the circumstances that caused you to try? Do you own a Volt and a C-max? Couldn't find the cable that comes with the C-max? Just curiosity on your part? Did you try charging a Volt with the Ford cable?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The C-max was a "company" car driven by a GE employee who sometimes works in my office building, and I was just curious if it would work. He didn't have his cable, so we tried mine. I already had almost a full charge and didn't need any more juice to get home.

I may have screwed his car up LOL! When he pulled into the parking space I was too quick to plug it in - I didn't think about it causing a problem but the C-Max was still "on" when I plugged in. The blue circle around the C-Max receptacle flashed blue for about 10 seconds, and eventually went dark. After that we tried unplugging and re-plugging but it would not do anything - no more blue flashing.

Later he left and I plugged my Volt back up - no problems - and I had a full charge when I left work a few hours later.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm surprised it didn't blink blue and then eject the connector while making a "p'tuey" sound!

Maybe the C-Max doesn't like you fitting a bowtie peg in an oval hole?

In all seriousness, as Walter says it's probably an issue with the J1772 protocol. You should try some other combinations to better characterize the issue like trying the C-Max cable on the Volt as suggested. And if possible try some other EVSE's on the C-Max to see what happens and if the problem is specific to the Volt cable.

I recall another thread some time ago where I believe someone got a spare Ford charge cord somehow and was able to charge their Volt with it. Actually here it is (thanks Google :))
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?28633-Ford-120v-charge-cord

·
Registered
508 Posts
The J1772 connector is supposed to be standardized. All J1772 cars are supposed to work with all J1772 EVSEs. Not quite there yet, but no one is surprised that any brand car can be filled by any brand of gas pump.

GSP

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Likely its just the car was on when you plugged it in, not off, The Volt wont charge either when its on

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used the cord that I got with my 2011 Volt. Interesting that it won't work on a Prius - any idea what they changed in the new cords?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts