GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I said the dreaded "V" word, but since the person that originally coined that term is long gone from the forum (or is still in the middle of making the most convoluted powerpoint in the history of mankind that doesn't actually prove anything...bless your soul, Mike Mas), I have decided to claim the term and rebrand it as something that doesn't enrage 99% of the forum. :cool:

It IS a way of maximizing EV miles driven in your Volt, though it is something that can actually be repeated by anyone. See below for an example of the new "Volting".

I took my 2012 Volt out yesterday to run a few errands in the morning, and had about 15 miles of range left when I got back home. After lunch and a quick partial charge, I ended up having to make a few more trips. The 2012 was charged up to about 24 EV miles.....place I needed to go was 26 miles away, one way.

Burn gas? No way! I just hopped into the 2017, and drove off. Couple hours and 54 miles later, arrived back home with 4 miles remaining. (redefined) Volting FTW!! :cool:

Only requirement is having 2 Volts. Once again, no fancy graphics necessary. :p

·
Registered
907 Posts
Kind of like us. C-Max won't make it hon, gotta take the Volt!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Kind of like us. C-Max won't make it hon, gotta take the Volt!
Or us, Volt won't make it, have to take the Spark EV...

(Who am I kidding, the Spark is a lease, and barely made enough miles to reach 2/3 of the lease allotment, so it goes everywhere while my Volt is the second car now.)

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
In before the lock...

You can't recoin the term. I suggest calling it VoltSwap/VoltSwapping.

Alas my other cars are a CTS and a suburban with a beast of a 454 cu in engine that drinks fuel like crazy. On the flip side, today was the first time in well over a month that my wife drove a car, and it was purely to follow my suburban to the repair shop for some service - she was my ride home. With how few miles my wife puts on cars, I can't justify getting a second EV. The fuel saved vs. the cost of the 2nd EV would be like pissing in an ocean. Because of this, the next vehicle has been decided, we are going to replace the Cadillac and the suburban with a new Subyukonade (still haven't decided whether it will be a Suburban. Yukon XL, or Escalade yet.). Of course I reserve the right to change it while saving my pennies in hopes that GM adds voltec to their full sized SUVs.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Or us, Volt won't make it, have to take the Spark EV...
That's me. I take the Spark EV to work, but it's under 10 miles RT. When I need to run an errand in the evening, I ask my wife, "Does the Volt have Juice?"

If it's almost out, we take the Spark. Otherwise, the Volt is the ride of choice.

And the 03 Suburban sits outside under a canopy, and gets used only when we need to haul 9 passengers or tow something.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could have done it in the same car if you had been Bolting!
Nono, I've already coined "Bolting" as the act of ditching your Model 3 reservation for a Bolt. See here.

In before the lock...

You can't recoin the term. I suggest calling it VoltSwap/VoltSwapping.
Unless Mr. Mike Mas comes back to reclaim his version of Volting, I am sticking a fork on that one and relaunching it with my definition. Sorta like when a manufacturer discontinues a car model that sucked, then brings it back several years later with a reborn, superior version. :cool:

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Nono, I've already coined "Bolting" as the act of ditching your Model 3 reservation for a Bolt. See here.
So what's the term for ditching a model 3 order for a subyukonade? I was initially infatuated with the lower cost model 3, but then after doing some Photoshopping and trying to estimate the size of the model 3 based on Elon musk's height (I also estimated the bolt's size using Mary Barra's height plus keels), I concluded that the model 3 is about volt sized and I really need an S or X. But then I can't really tow a 24 foot airstream trailer across the country or two 6k pound rack wagons with a model x. Plus the falcon doors won't fare well in snowageddon.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So when people upgrade their gen1 to a gen2 volt- is that ReVolting?
Hey, why not, it makes sense! Volt -> new Volt = Re-Volting

Volt -> an ICE or Prius = plain revolting. Lol

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I would go with the slightly more positive "Revolt" which also implies you are fighting against the status quo of gasoline.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Now that I have two Volts I find myself driving my Gen 1 a lot less. Probably has to do with the fact my wife insists on using climate control. Now I can't use the excuse of using my car because it won't use gas, we just use her 2016 Volt on the weekends.

She should run into her first EMM in about a week and she drives it like a normal car, no hypermiling, climate on MAX temp set to LOW.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
We have had 2 2013s for 3 years now. When we head out we just take whichever one has the most charge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts