GM Volt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Loboc,

Don't have a clue what you're talking about - I never even used the thought of a diesel engine - please go back and re-read the article more carefully.

Fact are facts, if the car gets 20-23 mpg in MM and is able to store 1 mile for each mile driven that is 45-50 mpg - Do the Math!

Thanks
Here is the passage:
"How Does it Do It – Even before I tried this Volting method, this is why I knew it would work - When I used to travel with company in my RV with a Cummins 8.3 liter diesel, I would run the generator to power the A/C unit. The generator would burn ¾ to 1 gal per hour, so I would typically burn around 8 gallons a day. A year later, I installed what I call a “No Gen” package, which included a high output alternator and an 12 volt to 110 volt inverter. This mod now allowed me to run my AC unit with the generator off since it was now powered by the main engines alternator. Before I installed the inverter package I got 9-10 m.p.g., after we installed the inverter package, I still got the same mileage 9-10 mpg. While I’m sure there was some extra consumption, it was so small it was not even measurable, I just acquainted it to the fact my 1000 ft lbs. of torque diesel, just didn’t feel the small amount of power required from the alternator. "

Maybe YOU should read the article.

"Fact are facts, if the car gets 20-23 mpg in MM and is able to store 1 mile for each mile driven that is 45-50 mpg - Do the Math!"

The 'math' is based on an assumption (actual several assumptions, but, I'll go with one for now) that you are indeed getting 1 mile EV for each mile driven in MM "for free". Where is this measured?

/Arguing with an over-unity/perpetual-motion expert is pointless. I probably won't respond to the answer.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Those of you from southern California should relate your experiences of driving down the Grapevine, using regen to put "hours of pure electric driving" back into your battery. This should have a big advantage over Volting’s use of MM because it uses no gas at all, thus enabling you to potentially triple or quadruple your gas mileage. It should also work with Gen 2 Volts with the smaller MM buffer. No doubt those of you living in the Rockies have discovered the same technique.

·
Registered
38 Posts
One minute of travel at 60 mph in Mountain Mode results 1 mile @ 22 mpg - as we add back the 1 mile stored in the battery from charging, we now have 2 miles which brings the mileage to 44 mpg.
I think this is all you need to know about 'Volting'. I've tried it a few times now and I get about 18mpg out of running on gas in MM mode. The switch back to Normal and I now have another mile running on electric. This gives me 2 miles or a net 36mpg. So, all those physics guys out there are correct I got nothing for free, in fact, in my case I lost 2-4mpg.

What I did get was longer running on electric at the cost of running noisily in MM. Honestly, I can see a situation where if you choose your timing, switching to MM could put more miles into the electric and give a better than 18mpg on gas - running downhill for instance.

For me, I've never managed to see an upside. My mpg has been consistently worse and I hate running in MM.
As they say your mileage may vary..

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Here is the passage:
"How Does it Do It – Even before I tried this Volting method, this is why I knew it would work - When I used to travel with company in my RV with a Cummins 8.3 liter diesel, I would run the generator to power the A/C unit. The generator would burn ¾ to 1 gal per hour, so I would typically burn around 8 gallons a day. A year later, I installed what I call a “No Gen” package, which included a high output alternator and an 12 volt to 110 volt inverter. This mod now allowed me to run my AC unit with the generator off since it was now powered by the main engines alternator. Before I installed the inverter package I got 9-10 m.p.g., after we installed the inverter package, I still got the same mileage 9-10 mpg. While I’m sure there was some extra consumption, it was so small it was not even measurable, I just acquainted it to the fact my 1000 ft lbs. of torque diesel, just didn’t feel the small amount of power required from the alternator. "

Maybe YOU should read the article.

"Fact are facts, if the car gets 20-23 mpg in MM and is able to store 1 mile for each mile driven that is 45-50 mpg - Do the Math!"

The 'math' is based on an assumption (actual several assumptions, but, I'll go with one for now) that you are indeed getting 1 mile EV for each mile driven in MM "for free". Where is this measured?

/Arguing with an over-unity/perpetual-motion expert is pointless. I probably won't respond to the answer.
OK Genius I see you conveniently left off half of the other half of the of the thought - Nice try!

"""" Using this same logic on a smaller scale, when our engine is powering the Volt or ELR in Mountain Mode at 60-65 mph, the primary work load is to move the vehicle, the small extra amount of power or work needed to recharge the battery is minimal when compared to the work load needed to push the car at that speed, the result is we’re getting the charge almost free. The best way for me to evaluate the added efficiency is the fact the energy used to charge the battery is put to a more efficient use when used to power the car. My mileage has proved that!""""

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
OK Genius I see you conveniently left off half of the other half of the of the thought - Nice try!

"""" Using this same logic on a smaller scale, when our engine is powering the Volt or ELR in Mountain Mode at 60-65 mph, the primary work load is to move the vehicle, the small extra amount of power or work needed to recharge the battery is minimal when compared to the work load needed to push the car at that speed, the result is we’re getting the charge almost free. The best way for me to evaluate the added efficiency is the fact the energy used to charge the battery is put to a more efficient use when used to power the car. My mileage has proved that!""""
And yet another unsupportable assumption: The engine is using less work to charge the battery than push the car. How do we know that? You are basically saying that charging the battery and then using that charge to push the car takes less gasoline than just pushing the car? That makes zero sense.

Basically, this 'method' is using assumptions and fuzzy math to prove that the above is true. Even though it is impossible and unsubstantiated by any other forum post.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wondering if anyone has observed the instantaneous mpg using something like Torgue or MyGreenVolt while driving. Set it on cruise control and try different modes (hold, mm, sport, etc) to see the effect.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally the contention was that for each mile of running in MM you also got enough charge for a FREE electric mile. I think this is what set the BS sensors off..

The contention now, and I can verify this from my own experiments, is that running in MM effectively cuts your gas MPG in half, (roughly), but you then get a mile back out of the battery. Net zero (ish).

The margins are small, and I can see situations where I could get better mpg out of MM or add more mpg to the battery and end up with increased combined mpg. Honestly, for me, the hassle isn't worth it..

·
Registered
488 Posts
This makes absolutely no sense at all - For "Decades" every single one of us listened to our engines running at different speeds like 1800 rpm at 40 mph and 3000 rpm at 60 mph, but only now suddenly since Volting appears, its unacceptable? LOL
There are differences in engine sounds and NVH. Are you really trying to say that all motors sound the same? That a Toyota Prius sounds just the same as a Ferrari?

There are some engines worth listening to and others I would prefer to avoid.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just wanted to share my thoughts regarding my Volting technique - There is documented proof on numerous forums from thousands of Volt owners who have used a version of Volting with success. In a period of over 1 year, I have logged over 100 trips compiling factual data on my Volting technique which I have shared on their Forum.
Please post links to some of these other forums and the thousands of volt owners that have used the technique.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Please post links to some of these other forums and the thousands of volt owners that have used the technique.
Thousands! The placebo is strong with this guy. Odds are, he'll fabricate forums and forum users. Have we had enough televangelism?

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
I think this is all you need to know about 'Volting'. I've tried it a few times now and I get about 18mpg out of running on gas in MM mode. The switch back to Normal and I now have another mile running on electric. This gives me 2 miles or a net 36mpg. So, all those physics guys out there are correct I got nothing for free, in fact, in my case I lost 2-4mpg.

What I did get was longer running on electric at the cost of running noisily in MM. Honestly, I can see a situation where if you choose your timing, switching to MM could put more miles into the electric and give a better than 18mpg on gas - running downhill for instance.

For me, I've never managed to see an upside. My mpg has been consistently worse and I hate running in MM.
As they say your mileage may vary..
I've tried this for a week now, and my results are inconclusive. Sometimes I use less fuel. Sometimes I use more. I suspect ERDTT and heating is affecting me more than any volting. That said, I totally agree, I hate the NVH of MM, only only for a few minutes at a time of electric bliss. I'm ok with hold mode, and I'll keep trying here and there but it's not looking good so far for Mr. Mas. Maybe when it gets a bit warmer...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Ok looks like a few of the trolls here are having a tough time understanding our complicated Volt system so let me help them out . . .

The thousands of users who have tried a version of Volting is "Anyone" who has put their car in Mountain Mode, accumulated miles and drove the vehicle.

Looks like a few of the non-contributor trouble makers and cartoonist on this thread have yet to discover that they don't need Mountains to use Mountain mode! Hello . . . . LOL

I put the chart back up for you guys again . . . this time study the chart before you engage your fingers!

·
Registered
103 Posts
The only time I ever tried "mountain" mode, it took quite a bit more than one mile of driving to "generate" 1 (estimated) EV mile. Your fundamental key assumption of 1 for 1 here simply has no solid basis. Personally, I'll save mountain mode for the mountains.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Re-posting the same thing over and over doesn't make it true. There is no reason to re-post since anyone can just go read the fuzzy-logic original.

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
The only time I ever tried "mountain" mode, it took quite a bit more than one mile of driving to "generate" 1 (estimated) EV mile. Your fundamental key assumption of 1 for 1 here simply has no solid basis. Personally, I'll save mountain mode for the mountains.
Through the less than one handful of times I've tried volting I agree that it took more than one mile to get the guessometer to increment a mile, but I've also seen where I added a mile or 2 turned off MM that mile or 2 added seemed to last 3 or 4 miles, as if the KWhs were added to the battery but didn't register in the ev miles left computation. I'm not saying that volting works quite yet but just offering a possible explanation why idleup is convinced of that number.

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
What amazes me is how not a single forum member has chimed in and said "yeah this works". I'm trying it to convince myself one way or another but it's not the ideal conditions (ERDTT, heat, varying temps, varying distances due to shopping trips, winter mix fuel, etc). I'm skeptical but still trying.

·
Banned
7,821 Posts
What amazes me is how not a single forum member has chimed in and said "yeah this works".
There is a reason for that....

Isn't there some term for people that repeat false information over and over to the point even they start believing it to be true? Sorta like Stockholm syndrome.

edit: ah, found it.

Self-deception: a process of denying or rationalizing away the relevance, significance, or importance of opposing evidence and logical argument. Self-deception involves convincing oneself of a truth (or lack of truth) so that one does not reveal any self-knowledge of the deception.

201 - 220 of 241 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.