GM Volt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,687 Posts
Idleup, there is one more aspect to volting that you are not considering. It is a well accepted fact that lithium ion batteries have a finite number of full charge cycles in them, and you are burning through them at an accelerated rate. If I could hear the engine at all while traveling at 60 mph, I'd say that accelerated usage might well be worth it. Or, if there was a definite and sizeable reduction in gas used, that would offset the increased usage of battery cycles. As it is, this would not be worth it for me. I'm more concerned about the longevity of the battery pack than putting miles on the engine.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,687 Posts
As for comments about breaking the laws of physics … it’s not as simple as that. In the case of MM vs. HM, adding an additional charge load that, say, is twice the energy requirement, might not require twice the input. Some of the heat and friction losses of just running the engine don’t necessarily have to be paid for twice. You might be able to double the output at something less than 100% added input.
Thank heavens at least one member understood the OP. I still think "volting" would be a bad idea for ME, because of the accelerated rate of using up battery charge cycles, and my lack of displeasure in driving at hwy speeds on ICE, but I agree that dismissing it as impossible is unjustified without a lot of technical data for output vs fuel input that is not in evidence. Many, here, have totally misunderstood the OP, saying he's just gaming the numbers. Others, having read one or another of our experts post that it is impossible due to physics, have jumped on that bandwagon. Saying that it takes at least twice the fuel to generate twice the energy is just not accurate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.