GM Volt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
The only rational explanation I can see that would explain why using mountain mode is more efficient in your scenario, is that when recharging the battery in Mountain mode, the ICE is running all the time at high speed.

In regular ICE mode, the engine starts and stops a lot depending on the driving speed and condition, so the electricity production efficiency in that mode would be less than when it is created with the ICE running regularly at high speed.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Therefore, at any given moment our little engine in Mountain mode is producing enough power to propel two (2) cars at 60 mph or 120 mph of energy, since its moving the car at 60 mph and storing energy to propel the car at some time in the future at 60 mph. The real important fact here is its doing so using about the same amount of fuel it takes to move one car.
I am afraid you are mistaken here. There is no such thing as free generation of energy, the laws of physics are pretty clear :)

If you are running on ICE at 60 mph, the ICE generator will be running at speed X, using Y amount of gas
If you would be running on ICE at 60 mph AND charging the battery with enough energy to propel another car at 60mph, the ICE generator would have to be running at twice the speed, using twice as much gaz as in the first scenario.

There is no way around that :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Saying that it takes at least twice the fuel to generate twice the energy is just not accurate.
Yes there could be some efficiency saving that would not require exactly twice the energy to generate twice the output, but these will in no way be substantial enough to justify a comment like "The real important fact here is its doing so using about the same amount of fuel it takes to move one car"

It will not take "about the same amount of fuel" for the generator to propel a car at 60mph and to generate twice that electricity.

If you really believe so I suggest you try to put the real numbers down :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.