36276 240
Article below!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
It seems like I've done better on fuel consumption just driving in hold mode with 3/4 battery charge and driving more or less at posted speed limit even when that's 70mph. Maybe you can game the system in just the right manner a gain a little sometimes. At more local driving the posted limit is 55 with a state max of 65mph I get better than 40 mpg.

The display data is not 100% accurate under all conditions either. If I leave home fully charged and go down the hill, the display will indicate 0.4 miles on gas but 0.00 fuel consumption by the time I get to the bottom and I'm certain the engine didn't run.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Hello guys - I added this addendum to help explain the fuel savings;

Addendum: While I didn’t want to get over-technical with this article, there is reader concerns how Volting can occur using less fuel so I’m going to offer a scenario which will help clear up the matter.

Lets take a situation where we’re driving down the road at 60 mph in mountain mode. We’ll say the battery is below 45%, so our little I4 engine is both charging the battery and pushing the car at 60 mph. While this does not sound so amazing, lets look at it a bit closer; the engine is generating (charging) at a rate of “one mile of charge per minute” therefore this is enough energy to propel another car (or ours) at 60 mph going in the battery each minute.

Therefore, at any given moment our little engine in Mountain mode is producing enough power to propel two (2) cars at 60 mph or 120 mph of energy, since its moving the car at 60 mph and storing energy to propel the car at some time in the future at 60 mph. The real important fact here is its doing so using about the same amount of fuel it takes to move one car.
You might be consuming 2x the fuel to charge and cruise at 60mph but going 120mph would require 4x the power and about that much more fuel.

The specific fuel consumption needs to be so much more efficient in this mode as to overcome all the losses of conversion to electricity. It doesn't seem like there could be that much improvement available. I think the range estimate being reset after a rest stop might be confusing the data.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Nice writeup Mike!!
I gave always traveled this way as you can't always plugin while on the road and I gain similar results as you
As soon as I get the maximum ev recharge, which is 27 miles for my 2015 volt I go back into ev mode until I have around 5 miles ev left, then back into mountain mode for about 20 minutes and I am back in ev mode again.
But that 27 miles is really still done by burning gas. Doesn't matter how the car tallies it.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Actually, while the drag increases as the velocity squared, the power required to overcome it increases as the velocity cubed.

A 125 hp car can hit 120 mph, but it takes 1000 hp to hit 240 mph (Bugatti).

Consider,

Power = force * velocity

If the force is that of drag (Fd), to keep a constant velocity, then

P = Fd * v

Fd = K * v * v, where K = 1/2 * coefficient of drag * frontal area of the car * air density

So,

P = K * v*v*v

So even worse than I stated.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
And just to be perfectly clear, LLninja does not agree with MMninja or Mike Mas on this topic, though I will try it with an open mind to see if I can replicate any of their results. (we're not related either... though could Mountain Mode ninja and Mike Mas one in the same? Curiously similar initials...)
I don't think so. Mike I think is mainly interested in maximizing EV mode driving and reporting that fuel consumption. Mountain Mode Ninja made unrealistic claims about huge efficiencies driving in mountain mode and was aggressively and personally insulting if questioned at all.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Addendum: While I didn’t want to get over-technical with my article, since there were reader concerns how Volting can occur using less fuel so I provided a chart below to help explain just how Volting would work on a 120 mile trip.

Enjoy - Mike

On the top bar graph where is the point where you used up the battery charge? If I made that trip I'd be running 30-40 miles of it on electric. That's worth about a gallon of gas right there and brings the net consumption to 2.43 gallons.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I'm still baffled as to why there's an actual gear shifter taking up valuable center console real estate on the Volt, ELR, and even the new Bolt EV. It's not like there's any kind of direct connection from it to the transmission.
I had a loaner car with an automatic and a rotary knob for the shifter. Didn't like it much.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Thanks for the reply's - here a better graph I made to explain the Volting Travel Mode. The other chart just showed straight engine run time.

Thanks

Looks like arbitrary picking of numbers. i.e. My epa numbers for mpg are 40mpg highway, 35 city and 37 combined. So why pick 35 for a road trip? My experience even driving 70 or so up and down the east coast, I got between 38.5 and 40.5 mpg. Hold mode should me more like 360 miles.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Guys, this is all good, but if you really want more electric driving, do what I do. I have an inverter attached to my 12 volt battery. I plug my portable EVSE into it. I run the charge cord out the driver's window and plug it into the charge port. Like that I can drive to Atlanta and back on all electric from any point East of the Mississippi. I'm working on a nice graph to explain it so that you can understand.
LOL good one. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.