GM Volt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Interesting. I am surprised there is not a gas penalty for that as is the conventional wisdom. I don't quite follow your calculations for gas use. Have you run identical trips using both methods?

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I am skeptical, but I am curious to see if it can save some gas and I will probably experiment with it to convince myself one way or the other. I think the biggest way to lose at this game is if you return home with charge in the battery, which is quite possible if you leave it in MM too long. In that case, you have charged your battery using gas when it could have been grid power, which totally defeats the idea of the Voltec power train. This might be a reason Chevy didn't make gas charging easier (or that volting was determined to be inefficient).

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
^^ this is a good and balanced summary of the topic. Thanks for that. I'd say the same philosophy probably also applies, for the most part, to other similar questions like does it make that much difference to use hold mode instead of just driving the car, or how important is it to hypermile to make it a little farther on battery instead of burning an additional fraction of a gallon of gas (and getting there quicker with less fuss). Some people will appreciate these small gains, others will see them as insignificant. To each his own.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Guys, this is all good, but if you really want more electric driving, do what I do. I have an inverter attached to my 12 volt battery. I plug my portable EVSE into it. I run the charge cord out the driver's window and plug it into the charge port. Like that I can drive to Atlanta and back on all electric from any point East of the Mississippi. I'm working on a nice graph to explain it so that you can understand.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Or try this anytime:

Travel in Mountain mode - look at your mpg on your trip (usually 20-24 mpg) and what ever it is; times it by 2 than that's you mileage.

The reason this works is because you just stored energy in your battery to travel the same distance you just drove.

Thanks

Mike
That is obviously not the logical way to determine the efficiency of Volting. It contains a huge assumption that could be so easily eliminated by simply driving off the accumulated charge and capturing the actual miles.

It is blatant gaps in logical thinking like this that make the rest of your voluminous statements smell like quackery.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Good grief. Just pick a nice Saturday, drain the battery on Friday, plot out a nice long country drive (150-200 miles) that gets you back to the starting point and lets you spend the vast majority of the time on cruise control, and do it twice, once each method. Record gas consumption for both trips. If there's a big temperature swing that day, do it again the next day reversing the order of method. All you're REALLY needing to measure is overall fuel consumption. Fuel burned, miles traveled, that's it.
This suggestion is almost as rich as the OP. I figure I have 1,560 Saturdays left in my lifetime. I don't think I am going to waste one of them driving 400 miles to get nowhere and maybe prove a slight edge in efficiency of one method over the other. In the process, burning so much gas that I will never make it back up using the more efficient method henceforth. You, sir, must have very little to do with your time.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
One cost of volting not mentioned is that doing it requires taking your eyes and attention off of your primary tasks of driving and watching traffic. Even if it is just small amounts of distraction for short intervals, it is still some level of distraction and therefore risk. Driving like the designers intended eliminates the distraction.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
OK- I'm going to differ with you on that observation, I just can't see a problem looking at the dash every 15-20 minutes, its no different than looking at your speedometer which you should be doing almost constantly. I feel if the designers didn't want you looking at the dash gauges they would have deleted them.

Thanks!
I don't look at my speedo "almost constantly," especially when cruise control is engaged. Looking through the windshield and mirrors is what I do almost constantly. I'm not suggesting that volting is more of a distraction than other things that compete for a driver's attention like the phone, nav system, entertainment system, climate control, conversation with passengers, etc. Just that we do not need to find more things to add to that list. Drivers on average are already too distracted IMO.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
For me, the only time it would make sense to charge on the highway using mountain mode is if I am away from grid charging for an extended period and I want to be able to drive all electric during the city-driving portions of my trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.