36262 240
Article below!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Nice write up. I have done the same thing with long trips of 300-400 miles. However, I think the key to your 42 MPG is really your speed of 60-65 MPH. When I go on a long trip my goal is to get there ASAP. So speeds of 70-80 MPH are normal. So my mileage goes down even using combinations of MM and HM. Usually about 36 MPG.

However, on shorter trips I have compared HM and MM. With HM it is not unusual for me to 45-47 MPG going speeds of 60 MPH. However, when using MM MPG goes down below 40 every time. MM runs the engine at higher RPMs which tends to be less efficient. Many discussions on that.

As for running at highway speeds on electric only vs. say HM I never really notice the ICE anyway. More noise from wind and road than the engine.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
The question is; would you rather travel running the engine and the electric drive or just the electric drive?
40 miles and under, electric drive. Over 40 miles, in HM at speeds above 50 MPH, except for my last 40 miles. HM is where I get the best efficiency. I am not sure how you came out with your MPG using MM but good for you. I do not think that is what happens for most people.

I do agree with you on long trips using MM when needed to charge the battery charged as much as possible. But I tend to keep as much a charge as possible all the time. My luck I would have engine trouble just before I selected MM to charge it back up. :)

BTW, i think my lifetime MPG for just the ICE is about 37 on both Volts. I wish that could have been better. Maybe folks with the Gen 2 will post much better lifetime ICE only MPG.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Thanks for the reply but facts are facts - why would anyone buy an electric car and deliberately run their engine when they have the option to travel in electric mode and avoid hours of use on their engine at a greater expense for fuel? My mpg readings are gospel and don't lie. I included my addendum below to help understand it.

Thanks!

Addendum: While I didn’t want to get over-technical with this article, there is reader concerns how Volting can occur using less fuel so I’m going to offer a scenario which will help clear up the matter.

Lets take a situation where we’re driving down the road at 60 mph in mountain mode. We’ll say the battery is below 45%, so our little I4 engine is both charging the battery and pushing the car at 60 mph. While this does not sound so amazing, lets look at it a bit closer; the engine is generating (charging) at a rate of “one mile of charge per minute” therefore this is enough energy to propel another car (or ours) at 60 mph going in the battery each minute.

Therefore, at any given moment our little engine in Mountain mode is producing enough power to propel two (2) cars at 60 mph or 120 mph of energy, since its moving the car at 60 mph and storing energy to propel the car at some time in the future at 60 mph. The real important fact here is its doing so using about the same amount of fuel it takes to move one car.
I don't think you are considering the losses in recharging the battery. I may be wrong but I do think that it is more efficient to save a battery charge if possible and only produce the electricity needed to propel the car down the road having the ICE cycle on and off as necessary, than fully depleting a battery and charging it back up.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

Thanks for the reply - I'm not saying I discovered MM - I opened this article with the statement that guys have been using MM for the same purpose - the Volting technique just shows it put to a more piratical use and to show its more cost effective and a more enjoyable way to travel.

My personal link was just for interest purposes to share information on electric Drones - I'm not in any business or selling anything or in any way attempting to draw users from the forum.

I would never double post anything on this forum - since the article was for Volts and ELR's, I posted in both discussion forums, since its very unlikely that an ELR owner would visit this forum and vice versa.

My gosh I'm taken back and very hurt that you would issue a warning to remove me from the forum for only sharing information about the very same cars we discuss every day - It takes months to do these articles!

Regard Mike
Idleup

It is a good article and definitely got some good discussion going. If you had not put this together we might have missed out on many good points from you and others on the discussion. Thanks for putting it together.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
A few of us called it “hold lite” (search the forum). It would basically allow an on-demand ERDDT level of engine running to slow the discharge rate while the engine runs at a relatively low, steady, and quiet speed. I can’t believe it wouldn’t have as decent or better gas mileage than the Hold Mode's cold starting, stopping, and revving up and down.
I like that idea. That way if you know you are going on a short trip just beyond the range of the charge range you could engage it for a portion of the trip.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I surely can’t speak for others, but I bought an electric car to drive it in electric mode as much as I can. On my trips to Atlanta, Volting enables me to drive for two hours in electric mode instead of 35 minutes and I’m saving fuel in the process.
Agreed. And I get this part, run in MM for short burst then turn it off. And I may try it next trip I have.

1 - 6 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.