GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am desperately looking for information on the load shedding (off-peak control) features and control inputs (labelled with a square and a circle) of the Voltec 240 V EVSE. So far my calls to SPX customer service has resulted in nothing from the people who answer the phone and a transfer to a poor guy who supports SPX diagnostic tools and knew nothing about the EVSE. My e-mail has also gone unanswered.

Is there anybody that knows anything about this? Britta? SPX Support?

Thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The SPX EVSE is a simple device in that it has no external remote control capability. I just installed one here at my house. This device is for the protection of the charging system and user. It's internal smarts are limited to GFCI and over/under voltage sensing and controls power to the power connector to protect the user.

P

·
Registered
418 Posts
I am desperately looking for information on the load shedding (off-peak control) features and control inputs (labelled with a square and a circle) of the Voltec 240 V EVSE. So far my calls to SPX customer service has resulted in nothing from the people who answer the phone and a transfer to a poor guy who supports SPX diagnostic tools and knew nothing about the EVSE. My e-mail has also gone unanswered.

Is there anybody that knows anything about this? Britta? SPX Support?

Thanks.
Are you asking how to configure for recharging at off-peak hours?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you asking how to configure for recharging at off-peak hours?

Yes. And whether the two control inputs behave similarly to the Clipper Creek models, i.e. one control input completely cuts off power during peak times, while the other one only reduces the maximum allowed current.

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
Yes. And whether the two control inputs behave similarly to the Clipper Creek models, i.e. one control input completely cuts off power during peak times, while the other one only reduces the maximum allowed current.
I'm confused why you don't use what is in the Volt already. It seems pretty well thought out.

GM How To video"

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid689993410001?bclid=688400931001&bctid=699681055001

via:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ve-been-posted-on-Chevrolet&p=48252#post48252

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
What exact Clipper Creek models are you specifically comparing?
Clipper Creek markets both stand-alone "charging stations" as well as EVSEs (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). You don't require a charging station for the Volt, intead you need an EVSE.EVSE's like those used by the Volt (and Leaf) are not really charging stations at all, merely a safe method to reliably connect 120 and 240VAC mains to the car. This is because the car's themselves are equipped with the charger hardware that is managed and controlled by on-board vehicle software. So you see on the Volt charging schedules (for maximizing off-peak avings) are controlled through various methods includin in-car control screens (see Scott's post above) , by using a smart phone app, or via internet using myvolt.com. Charging voltages and current follow a precise schedule that GM has designed to be most beneficial to extending battery life and charge the Volt at an average of 1.3 and 3.4kW (120V and 240V repectively).
Essentially it is voltage regulated initially, then become current regulating during the brunt of the charge cycle, tapering off to a precise cell voltage control at the end of of charging.

So there's really nothing that really needs to be controlled once you set your schedule.The only exception being if using the portable 120V charge cord on a houshold circuit that is already carrying other loads (such as a beer fridge in your garage for instance). In that event should the normal maximum setting (1.3kw) result in a 15A breaker releasing, you can reduce the current manually using switches directly on the 120V EVSE control panel in order to permit the Volt to charge. This will of course result in a longer charge times.

Hope this clear up the confusion.
WopOnTour

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm confused why you don't use what is in the Volt already. It seems pretty well thought out.
Because my utility has no guarantee that I will only charge during off-peak times, so I will have to pay the regular electricity rate.

In order to qualify for an off-peak rate, the load must be controlled by the utility. This is done with a load control receiver like this
http://www.cooperpowereas.com/Products/DemandResponse/DR_LCR.cfm
It contains three relays, one 30 A 240 V relay that is already used for the water heater, and two 5 A 30 V relays that can be used for low voltage control such as A/C etc.

As I mentioned, the Clipper Creek CS model of EVSE's have two control inputs. You ground one of them through an external relay and it will shut off the contactor in the EVSE. You ground the other one, and it will change the control pilot signal to allow the car to draw only 1.4 kW.

Since the Voltec EVSE has two inputs that are labelled as "load shedding control connections" in the rather sparse documentation that is available, I am hoping that it works in the same way, but I need some confirmation / documentation.

The only other alternative is to install another contactor between the circuit breaker and the EVSE, but this duplicates functionality that already appears to be in the EVSE, cost more money, and takes up more space in the LCR and CT box. If the EVSE has the capability of low voltage control, I want to use it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Thanks, but I am well beyond this level of understanding.
That may be but sometimes it's difficult to extrapolate what people are actually asking. No need to get snitty.
I understand now what you are specifically referring to and YES, the Voltec has BOTH the desired load-shed lugs you desire for your installation. They are well documented (see page 10) in the 240V Voltec EVSE installation instructions that are posted in the FAQs or a direct link link here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...e-and-the-agreement-to-sign&p=46153#post46153
HTH
WopOnTour

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
They are well documented (see page 10)
I have to disagree with your definition of "well documented". The only relevant sentence in that document is:

3. If required, make two load-shed connections to load shed lugs.
It doesn't say anything about how to connect them. Do you short the square and circle together to shed the load? Do you short the square to ground to shed the load? Or short the circle to ground? Or do you tie the square to line? Or feed in 12 VDC? Or 24 VAC? These are all common control techniques. Perhaps I just have to experiment.

No need to get snitty.
Sorry that you read snittyness into my response. None intended. Just a short way to communicate what I know. I am usually a man of few words.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
It doesn't say anything about how to connect them. Do you short the square and circle together to shed the load? Do you short the square to ground to shed the load? Or short the circle to ground? Or do you tie the square to line? Or feed in 12 VDC? Or 24 VAC? These are all common control techniques. Perhaps I just have to experiment.
First off, let me say I am *no* electrician and I haven't a clue what I'm talking about. But my guess is there are electrical standards that describe the punch block, and an electrician would just look at it and go "oh yeah, I know what that is." Several people have installed their own 240V Voltecs, so maybe one of them will comment.

I agree that the document supplied doesn't do a good job at all of describing the hook up! I'm assuming the rectangle and circle get the two legs of power, ground goes to the pin marked G(something or other) and the load sheds go variously to L1 and L2.

BUT DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! I'm hoping somebody with direct experience can clarify. I would, however, advise you to not just experiment. Ignoring that you could manage to kill yourself, it'd probably void your warranty too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
L1 (line 1), L2 (line 2), and G (ground) are the connections for the incoming 240/220v supply.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I have to disagree with your definition of "well documented". The only relevant sentence in that document is:

Sorry that you read snittyness into my response. None intended. Just a short way to communicate what I know. I am usually a man of few words.
Ok Sorry, simple misunderstanding on my part.
But I do see what you mean in terms of "sparse" information (definately NOT as "well documented" as I thought it was)
I will try to get more info but AFAIK the Voltec 240V EVSE load-shedding feature is of the ON-OFF type only.
It was my understanding that the load shed terminals were actually A.C. (from a 24VAC transformer?) and operated by a control interface (hard-wired or wireless) as outlined by your utility. This may explain why they are not clearly labled as AFAIK the "triangle" and "square" symbols are not any sort of load control standard. (and if A.C. it wouldnt matter)
I just havnt been privy to exactly how this is to connect.
I'm surprised you havnt been able to receive a complete explaination from SPx or your SPx authorized utility company.
Perhaps it's a longshot but try emailing your query directly to [email protected]
Maybe she'll provide more insight? (if so please let us know!)
Sorry- not much help
Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will try to get more info but AFAIK the Voltec 240V EVSE load-shedding feature is of the ON-OFF type only.
Thank you, I would appreciate that.

I have also been surprised by the difficulty getting info from SPX. When I called Clipper Creek the first person who answered the phone had all the answers.

I e-mailed Britta in early January, but never received a response. I also sent her a PM referencing this thread.

I am going to try SPX one more time, and then the Volt Advisor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thank you, I would appreciate that.

I have also been surprised by the difficulty getting info from SPX. When I called Clipper Creek the first person who answered the phone had all the answers.

I e-mailed Britta in early January, but never received a response. I also sent her a PM referencing this thread.

I am going to try SPX one more time, and then the Volt Advisor.
Hi J in MN,

As Chevrolet’s preferred homecharging partner, we stand behind all of the charge station products that are available through our program. When there are questions about the technical operation of the charge station or the vehicle, we coordinate with the manufacturer to ensure an accurate technical response.

As a reminder, there are currently 4 charge station options available in the program: VoltecTM, ChargePointTM, Blink and SPX.

The VoltecTM charge station is provided by General Motors. Therefore, we are in contact with the GM technical team and are expecting a response to your inquiry very soon. The response may come from us, but also could come directly from GM. Either way, we will get you an answer.

Thank you,

Barth
SPX EV Support

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Hi J in MN,

As Chevrolet’s preferred homecharging partner, we stand behind all of the charge station products that are available through our program. When there are questions about the technical operation of the charge station or the vehicle, we coordinate with the manufacturer to ensure an accurate technical response.

As a reminder, there are currently 4 charge station options available in the program: VoltecTM, ChargePointTM, Blink and SPX.

The VoltecTM charge station is provided by General Motors. Therefore, we are in contact with the GM technical team and are expecting a response to your inquiry very soon. The response may come from us, but also could come directly from GM. Either way, we will get you an answer.

Thank you,

Barth
SPX EV Support
Barth
I sent you a PM regarding this issue a few days back
Did you not receive it?
WopOnTour

1 - 20 of 28 Posts