GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had my original Voltec charger installed by SPX when Chevy first announced who they would use. Well I have been through 2 Volts, and finishing up a lease on my BMW i3 REX. My charger died. No lights no resetting worked. Just decided to sh#$ the bed for better choice of words. Anyone else still using the Voltec charger?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well I have had my original Voltec charger installed by SPX when Chevy first announced who they would use. Well I have been through 2 Volts, and finishing up a lease on my BMW i3 REX. My charger died. No lights no resetting worked. Just decided to sh#$ the bed for better choice of words. Anyone else still using the Voltec charger?
As the charger is in the car, I assume you are referring to the EVSE unit that hangs on the wall.
Many have taken it apart and replaced a fuse inside. Are you handy?

·
Registered
307 Posts
We have one at the dealership here, gets a lot of use and still going strong. We had a different one installed out in the lot by sales that has gone bad but the spx one is still going.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Take it apart, blow it out, look for a fuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonuwZwpKAY

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As the charger is in the car, I assume you are referring to the EVSE unit that hangs on the wall.
Many have taken it apart and replaced a fuse inside. Are you handy?
I knew there was an acronym for the EVSE but just couldn't remember. I was wondering how many it would take before someone corrected me. Anywho I did read about the fuses so that was my next attempt without shocking myself.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I knew there was an acronym for the EVSE but just couldn't remember. I was wondering how many it would take before someone corrected me. Anywho I did read about the fuses so that was my next attempt without shocking myself.
All good - let us know how it turns out :)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
EVSE's have control electronics. If lightning, power surge, power outage, etc. hit, it might be toast.

Taking it apart won't hurt though. If it smells like good chips still, definitely look for a fuse or broken wire. Might want to check the handle end as well. Some of these have weak crimped connections.

Since there are no lights at all, the problem is in the unit or connection to power grid.

Might be able to use the unit for an openEVSE board if the board is smoked.

If all else fails, people buy old units for parts on eBay.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My Voltec L2 still works nearing 4 years.
Try cycling on and off with the circuit breaker or fused disconnect.
My Voltec had the lights go out. Turned out the ribbon connector inside between the main board and the lights fell out.
The terminal strips inside are flimsy. A voltmeter check should be made on the whole circuit from meter to plug. High amperage terminals have torque specs. Too loose can disconnect or heat. Too tight can cut through the conductor or break the terminal.
In my case there is an over-torque on the terminal between the meter and disconnect that causes an intermittent. Not often enough for me to have the meter pulled to fix it. This isn't a problem with the Voltec but is from the install.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My Voltec EVSE unit died after 4 years. I decided to go Plugless next since the cost was so much lower than it was back then.

I would hate to go back to plugging and unplugging again. No more forgetting to plug or unplug when I am in a rush.

Might get the Voltec fixed if I can find a service. Checked the fuses and they are OK according to my meter.

Roy Volt #1019

·
Registered
926 Posts
Wait, I thought Plugless dropped support for Volts? They only have reservations for Tesla Model S now on their website. Or am I confusing Plugless wireless EVSE to another EVSE brand for a plugin-style EVSE?

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ah, I didn't navigate further than the front page of the site after seeing the "NOW FEATURING RESERVATIONS FOR:
PLUGLESS FOR TESLA MODEL S" button. FYI, if you navigate to the "Shop" page you get actual pricing for Gen 1 and the "In Development" for Gen 2:

https://www.pluglesspower.com/shop/

Hmmm, $2699 for the EVSE? That's a bit much. I was hoping at most double the cost of current market plugin EVSEs (assuming avg cost of $600 for a reputable EVSE).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts