GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Voltec charger mysteriously stopped working. Very minimal wear and tear. I took care of this quite well.
The indicator lights are reading green which confirms that it's indeed on. It's simply not charging. The dealership tested the car and concluded that it was the charger. They said it was passed the warranty and could "do nothing about it". They gave me no other options.

I was on another post here that stated that he received a new one yet it was over 3 years old.
Not just that, but it seems multiple other people here said they received a new one.
Am I being screwed here? Can someone out there please help and advise me on this?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Does your Voltec EVSE have an orange power plug cord? If so the EVSE may have been part of a product recall and should be able to be replaced by GM at no cost.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Getting a new EVSE on the powertrain warranty instead of the B2B has been hit or miss. I think someone may have found a statement in the warranty that would indicate that the EVSE would be part of the powertrain warranty, but I'm not sure where or when that was.

·
Registered
419 Posts
In my 2017 GM Canada warranty manual the EVSE unit is NOT included in the list of other Electric/Hybrid components. Check that paragraph in your specific manual. If it's not listed there it will not be covered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your Voltec EVSE have an orange power plug cord? If so the EVSE may have been part of a product recall and should be able to be replaced by GM at no cost.
No, unfortunately it does not.
It would be nice if that was the issue. But it's black.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting a new EVSE on the powertrain warranty instead of the B2B has been hit or miss. I think someone may have found a statement in the warranty that would indicate that the EVSE would be part of the powertrain warranty, but I'm not sure where or when that was.
Well, Chevy is using this warranty deal over me now. Although, as I said, it seems other members here lucked out. This vehicle does not have many miles either. Just shy over 37 thousand.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Well there is a Gen 2 Level 1 OE EVSE for sale on the forum here.

Also, there is a seller on ~bay that offers to repair any EVSE for fixed price of under $100. If it was me I would not spend any money on repairing your 2013 EVSE, it is beyond it's expected life. Even ClipperCreek, considered a top line EVSE vendor, only provides a 3-year warranty on their EVSE equipment.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
So my Voltec charger mysteriously stopped working. Very minimal wear and tear. I took care of this quite well.
They said it was passed the warranty and could "do nothing about it". They gave me no other options.
I am assuming by charger you mean EVSE. The onboard charger is under warranty, the EVSE is not, unless your car is new or you have some kind of extended warranty you purchased.

I was on another post here that stated that he received a new one yet it was over 3 years old.
Needs specifics. Could have been an old thread or a newer car. The devil is in the details of the specifics. Mine was replaced under warranty for my 2013. However, that was one year after purchase and it was still under B2B. However, others were getting theirs replaced as part of the Voltec warranty at the time.

Not just that, but it seems multiple other people here said they received a new one.
Am I being screwed here? Can someone out there please help and advise me on this?
Again, specifics for their situation. As of January 2018 GM sent out an bulletin that the EVSE is no longer covered as a Voltec component, and it is retroactive. It is only B2B. So no your are not getting screwed. You will need to purchase another EVSE or fix that one.

·
Administrator
20,222 Posts
Some dealers will replace it, other will not. Luck of the draw. Maybe look into a 240V EVSE now.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
good news is the cord from the unit to the car is worth almost $100 :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had mine replaced by GM during a sequence of 4 'dead volt' incidents but I had to pay 50% cost. Should be covered under B2B but not Powertrain which basically stops at the charge port.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am assuming by charger you mean EVSE. The onboard charger is under warranty, the EVSE is not, unless your car is new or you have some kind of extended warranty you purchased.

Needs specifics. Could have been an old thread or a newer car. The devil is in the details of the specifics. Mine was replaced under warranty for my 2013. However, that was one year after purchase and it was still under B2B. However, others were getting theirs replaced as part of the Voltec warranty at the time.

Again, specifics for their situation. As of January 2018 GM sent out an bulletin that the EVSE is no longer covered as a Voltec component, and it is retroactive. It is only B2B. So no your are not getting screwed. You will need to purchase another EVSE or fix that one.

Thanks for responding and for your candor.
Yes, the EVSE.
My case is troubling because all involved on the dealership side and with GM directly are not being transparent, expedient or helpful. A warranty also shouldn't be used as a cudgel against the consumer. Volts will continue losing resell value if Chevy refused to do right by their consumer.
Thanks for letting me know about the bulletin in 2018. But my situation isn't so easy. It was an *intermittent* issue until here recently. I did report this problem as early as 2016 to my dealer AND ditectly to GM and they literally never responded back appropriately and the one dealer never ran it through their computer system to see if it was covered. They made several erroneous statements and never even attempted to help me troubleshoot it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well there is a Gen 2 Level 1 OE EVSE for sale on the forum here.

Also, there is a seller on ~bay that offers to repair any EVSE for fixed price of under $100. If it was me I would not spend any money on repairing your 2013 EVSE, it is beyond it's expected life. Even ClipperCreek, considered a top line EVSE vendor, only provides a 3-year warranty on their EVSE equipment.

THANKS for your advice and for that information. Any response like that I most certainly appreciate.
If I did buy one, I would buy a new one. No way would I buy a used one. Sorry. (I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that all those used ones on ebay are fried or well passed their prime, no offense. No thanks). So I would have to opt for a new one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Keep in mind you don't need to buy the GM one (which is a total ripoff). Any 120V EVSE will work with you car.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
THANKS for your advice and for that information. Any response like that I most certainly appreciate.
If I did buy one, I would buy a new one. No way would I buy a used one. Sorry. (I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that all those used ones on ebay are fried or well passed their prime, no offense. No thanks). So I would have to opt for a new one.
If you want to buy a new GM EVSE (the unit is actually manufactured by Delco and uses a ClipperCreek circuit board) check out this site. Chevy_Volt_Charger_OEM

Another option is to contact ClipperCreek as they sell used ClipperCreek EVSE. These EVSE have been tested, repaired as needed and come with a 12 month warranty for about $100 less than new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts