GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I obtained a non working Voltec 240v EVSE, first thing I checked it had a blown fuse.
I replaced fuse with exact same part. I plugged power cord in (nema 14-50) and I have two red blinking lights.
what does this mean? and no I did not plug it into car.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
What model EVSE do you have? The OE EVSE has a NEMA 5-15 plug.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I assume you have cleaned the contacts of the 120VAC wall plug and tried a number of different outlets on different breaker lines? Those two things would be my first troubleshooting steps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will get the # off unit when I get home, but it's one of those Older Voltec 240v L2 units that has a Lear PCB in it it.
it's not a L1 converted, its a big round case, plug been replaced with a new nema 14-50, so I don't know what it had before. I only have one 240v nema 14-50 outlet, it looks new but I never used it before, I need to have that checked, maybe it wasn't wired right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GM Catalog No. 22809286, date of manuf: 1230007
containing LEAR PCB
20180809_101554.jpg 20180809_101605.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nema 14-50 plug seems to be good checked with multimeter, ground is good too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There is brown crap all over the right side of the controller PCB. It should be clean. Something has blown would be my guess. I'd say the entire PCB would need to be replaced and that is probably not economic.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
In non-technical terms; the magic smoke has escaped.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
have you found the manual so al least you know the meaning of the two lights.

many times one of the red light is a ground fault but always helps to check.

is this the round looking one that is 220 only ?

this one

https://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=516&d=1289695350

A flashing RED AC PRESENT (A) indicates the AC voltage is out of range.
Flashing RED AC PRESENT (A) and FAULT (B) indicates the electrical outlet does not have a proper safety
ground. Charging is not permitted for safety reasons. The wiring must be repaired.
A flashing RED FAULT (B) indicates a charge station fault. Reset charge station at the circuit breaker, if
the fault remains, contact your Volt dedicated advisor.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Fireflynj: ^^^ yes, as above. I specifically stated on the RIGHT side of the PCB. The two extra photos you just posted only show the clean LEFT side of the PCB. Can you not see that??

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did you check BOTH Fuses? It looks like there are two of them. I don't have that model so am just passing on my thoughts.
One other thing, are you certain the receptacle has a valid ground? Can you get voltage from each hot wire to the ground wire (not the neutral if present)?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes I checked both fuses, I need an electrician to come in and check the ground on that Nema 14-50 outlet, I am questioning it.
also here is the picture again, no brown stuff.
1.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you check BOTH Fuses? It looks like there are two of them. I don't have that model so am just passing on my thoughts.
One other thing, are you certain the receptacle has a valid ground? Can you get voltage from each hot wire to the ground wire (not the neutral if present)?
Yes I did get voltage reading 120v from each hot wire to ground, but was not able to get a ohm reading from this ground to a nearby standard outlet ground. should I? I will have to get an electrician to look at it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You should get a reading of ~ 0 ohms from ground to ground. If not, one of the outlets is not properly grounded.
On the 110 volt outlet, check for voltage from Hot to ground. Should be ~ 110 Volts.
Also, obviously, it should be ~ 110 Volts from Hot to Neutral.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should get a reading of ~ 0 ohms from ground to ground. If not, one of the outlets is not properly grounded.
On the 110 volt outlet, check for voltage from Hot to ground. Should be ~ 110 Volts.
Also, obviously, it should be ~ 110 Volts from Hot to Neutral.
well that confirms it, I did not get 0 ohms ground to ground like I should, but did from ground to neutral. I opened the nearby junction box and it was a butcher job in there. The incoming ground was cut! good news is that the charger maybe be ok!

·
Registered
212 Posts
That would be terrific! You might also be able to just run a ground from the good receptacle to the bad one, although it is best to get that butchered wiring straightened out. Some folks shouldn't do electrical work & it sounds like they were doing it in your junction box.
Good luck with fixing it.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
That would be terrific! You might also be able to just run a ground from the good receptacle to the bad one, although it is best to get that butchered wiring straightened out. Some folks shouldn't do electrical work & it sounds like they were doing it in your junction box.
Good luck with fixing it.
Absolutely!. You never know what's lying in wait for you in the middle of the night to happen just at that time. Some people shouldn't do electrical work on their home or their car just as some people shouldn't pick up a wrench. I always say, it's not rocker science" just common sense but some times that's at a premium.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts