GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Moderator Edit: This article shows an example of extending electric range that is not guaranteed in every scenario. Results will vary based on terrain, driving style, timing of this technique, weather, etc. Additionally, an added concern may be battery longevity due to the rapid overcharging and deep cycling of the battery's state of charge.

For these reasons, we generally recommend to "let the Volt figure it out" rather than to try and outsmart the car's programming. The results detailed here present a claim of a tremendous increase in electric range, and are worth discussing and debating. Please keep the debate civil- WOT

Voltamorting - A Technique of Traveling With Your Battery Restrictions Off for the Generation 1 Volt – by LLninja

Greetings GM Volt Forum Members – In this article, I’ll be sharing a technique I developed for traveling distances greater than the initial charge on the Volt. I call it “Voltamorting,” a method I’ve been using for over a month which allows me to extend my electric running time by up to 50%.

By using my Voltamorting technique on a recent 280-mile round trip to Chicago, it enabled me to keep my engine off for an additional “20+ miles” over and above my initial 40 miles of electric range for a total of 60-70 electric miles on a single charge. If all that seems unbelievable, I did so using no fuel for the first 65 miles compared to the conventional method we use when driving our Volt.

CONVENTIONAL VERSES VOLTAMORTING COMPARISON

Conventional Method -Electric Driving: 40 miles before switching to Gas Powered Driving

Voltamorting Method - Electric Driving: 60-70 miles before switching to Gas Powered Driving

These figures are staggering – but they are 100% correct. With the “Voltamorting Method” it allows your engine to be completely off giving you 50% or more of the battery capacity when compared to the conventional method, thus saving wear and tear on your mechanical components and some emissions.

Nothing Complicated – The whole trip only involved me selecting the secret Voltamorting Mode. This is an Easter egg that I imagine GM left in the software to test range and battery degradation over time. Anyone who has played video games over the past few decades should be aware of the Konami Code. It's the sequence of controller button presses that unlocks powers and bumps you up to the higher levels. The sequence is up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start.

I decided to try looking for a sequence of button presses, at first imagining where the buttons would be if I overlaid a controller over the touch buttons. I even wrote some software to manually generate likely permutations and painstakingly tried them all, but to no avail. I finally stumbled on the sequence that works, and it is pretty logical after the fact. Up=Res/-, Down=Set/- from the cruise control rocker wheel, left and right are the left and right buttons on the cruise control (disengage and cruise on, respectively), B=volume down on the right steering buttons, and A=volume up on the right steering buttons. So the sequence is Res/+, Res/+, Set/-, Set/-, cruise disengage, cruise power, cruise disengage, cruise power, volume -, volume+.

So to increase your charge, you input the Voltamorting code before plugging in your car. The car will beep as usual, and you will get the same solid green light on the dash. But when you reach the normal time when the traction battery becomes full, the car will beep again, and you will see a long light, a short pause with the light off, light, pause, etc. I equate this to the battery charging between 70-80% capacity. About 30-40 minutes later, the car will beep again and you will get long light, pause, short light, pause, repeat - so the car is charging between 80-90% capacity. In another 40 minutes give or take you have long lights with 3 pauses, indicating charging between 90-100 capacity. When completely full, the car will flash the green light just like conventional charging

If you were to start the car after 100% charge, the car will go about 50-55 miles driving normally (not hypermiling) above your normal 40 miles of range. But, if you re-enter the Voltamorting code before pressing the start button, the low end of the battery extends to nearly the very bottom of your battery capacity and your range goes up to 60-70 miles on a single charge.

I don't have a Volt Gen 2 or an ELR to experiment with, but I'm guessing there is likely a logical sequence just like the one I discovered for the Volt Gen 1 that will give you more AER. I don't expect the same time 50% range increase as it is well known that GM opened up the upper and lower battery charge points in both the Volt Gen 2 and ELR. If anyone near east central IL can spare their car for a weekend, I'm willing to give it a go.

VOLTAMORTING AND BATTERY DEGRADATION

Even if this technique caused battery degradation it would be acceptable to me. However, after checking it numerous times and traveling the same daily commute for over a month now, the Voltamorting method continues to give me more range than the conventional manner of driving and I have yet to notice any battery degradation. I don't doubt that it will eventually happen, but it's too soon to know how long I would have to do this to cause appreciable battery damage.

The best distance I have been able to achieve was on March 9th where I got 77.3 miles on a single charge hypermiling like Ari C. My worst was 58.8 miles in late February. I was driving like I stole it, temps were in the mid 20s, and I don't think the battery fully charged from the cold

As these results confirm, Voltamorting not only allows you to travel with your engine off for longer trips, it also allows you to do so at slightly less cost with an extra 20+ miles of EV range. Its hard to imagine but this method allows me to do my daily 50 mile commute completely fuel free with the heater on in comfort mode in the cold. I can't wait to see what happens when spring arrives with ideal EV driving conditions.

How Did I Come Up With the Name?

Even before I tried this Voltamorting method, another forum member suggested a technique involving Mountain Mode, but he caused 4 separate forum threads to be closed with a relentless rolling argument. The V-word used in those threads was subsequently banned. This whole situation of not saying the V-word caused me to think of that famous character from Harry Potter who shall not be named. Substitute a T for the D, add an ING, and we have Voltamorting.

In summary, Voltamorting is a sophisticated yet easy method of traveling distances greater than our initial 35-40 miles of electric range. Voltamorting allows owners to squeeze additional “Electric” miles that even the designers at GM did not anticipate. Hopefully, at some time in the future, GM and other electric car manufactures will incorporate a mode that will use this very same “voltamorting" feature as a regular drive setting in addition to Normal, Sport, Mountain and Hold modes. It is sort of the antithesis to the Insane or Ludicrous modes on the Tesla.

Best Regards – LLninja

Addendum: For those who are still in disbelief that this could possibly work, I invite you to try it yourself. You will be amazed that this actually works, and works well. This would be especially useful for those who lease their vehicles and don't care about battery life for the next owner down the line. For all the times I have harped against the horrible concept of leasing, I am seriously considering leasing a car now...

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
lol I can't believe someone actually found this. I mean I've heard rumors for years but couldn't figure out the combo!
(and the guy that did it left the company 3 years ago)

Be careful not to use it too much though as there's allegedly a hidden PID that records usage when it's activated and it could affect your warranty coverage. Repeating the same code is supposed to put the SOC window back to normal so make sure you do that before visiting the dealer for any reason.

But I guess wouldn't worry too much as they can only read the PID with the MDI and GDS2 and no dealers gonna go looking anyway but be forewarned.

Even still, I'm gonna print this out and try it tomorrow on the way to work! Wait until I show the guys They've been looking for this EE for years!

Damn nice sleuthing!!! (although I'm not too keen on calling it "Voltamorting")

WOT

PS> There is apparently another Easter Egg that resets your lifetime mpg back to 250mpg that rumor has it to be the exact opposite key press combination DID YOU EVER TRY IT BACKWARDS? If so check your lifetime MPG!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
When LL told me about this last week I was skeptical. But I'm familiar with cheat codes and software engineers so I figured what the heck, I'll try it. Here's what my guess-o-meter said yesterday morning:

It's a bit fiddly to have to do this every day but once I memorize it this should become second nature. Nice find LL!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
<sigh>

Is it April already?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
If you enter the following combination of button/pedal presses using the center display controls and accelerator/brake pedal, you actually enter a secret "diagnostic mode" that allows you to access 90% of the HV battery, compared to the normal ~65%: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Brakes, Accelerator, Start button.

This diagnostic mode ends when you turn the Volt off. Also only works on '11 and '12 Volts (without Mylink).

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
What's the code to place a Victoria Secret supermodel in the passenger seat?
No code needed. Just a stack of $100's. ;)

Well, you would probably just need 2 $100 bills (top and bottom of stack). The rest could be filler $1 bills. :p

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My first thought was "oh here we go again"
My second thought was "why do I read forums on April 1"
So in summary, Nice job OP, you got me for about 5 seconds.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I smell a rat. Yep both the OP and WOP. I can't believe that WOP would ack this silliness without verification.

So the major issue I see with this is that the sequence is entered BEFORE the controls are active. How is that possible? It's like typing on a keyboard with the computer off. => "enter the Voltamorting code before pressing the start button"

Edit: add logic to the discussion. May not be possible, but, I try.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Damn you, Photoshop! Damn you all the way to Hogwarts and back!!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Why did my comment get deleted?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Damn you, Photoshop! Damn you all the way to Hogwarts and back!!!
No photoshop necessary.

I can get a display like that easily enough.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Why did my comment get deleted?
Interesting... My reply (the first, last night... It was short, innocent and funny referencing the holiday) has also disappeared.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Interesting... My reply (the first, last night... It was short, innocent and funny referencing the holiday) has also disappeared.
On a thread like this, I guess it's not altogether surprising, but a pm from the mods at least mentioning it would have been nice. Mine was also "playing along", but it may have been too subtle for the casual observer.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts