GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a problem with my 2012 Volt this morning. When I first got in it, it indicated a charging error, and showed no electric miles on the battery icon. When I tried to turn the car off, it would go through its initiallizing delay, saying wait to shift while initializing, and then turn back on. The CEL had come on, though there were no error messages on the screen. Even though all the screens were on, there was no power steering, and if I shifted into drive, the car just rolled, with no power to the motor. Windows, entertainment, climate all worked normally.

I called Onstar and got the error codes P0606 and P1E00, suggesting an integration controller error.

Since the car could not move, they scheduled for a tow truck, though it would be quite a wait. I decided while I was waiting, I'd try to see if I could reset the locked up processor. After looking into the fuses, I found F34, a 10A fuse for the "VICM", vehicle integration control module, I'm guessing. Even though the car was still on (since it wouldn't turn off) I pulled F34, waited a few seconds, and replaced it.

This fixed the lockup. The car would immediately turn off, back on, and all systems worked. Even the CEL turned itself off. I cancelled the tow truck, and it has been happy since.

It's a nice trick to know for anyone else who gets this locked up condition.

Ron

·
Registered
500 Posts
Nice to know. If you get follow up electrical related problems have your 12volt battery checked. I had several similar incidents, although I jumped the battery to get going. After 3 times, I had the battery replaced and no more problems since.

·
4,862 Posts
Interesting. I was trying to help someone just the other day who ran into a very similar issue that you describe, if not the same exact issue. I will send them your trick and see if it helps!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I imagine a lot of 12V batteries will start failing this year on 2012 Volts; they are 4 years old now, and it seems like most lead acid batteries last 4 to 6 years in cars.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
be interesting to know if that fuse is better than a battery cable disconnect as it saves to flag setting in the computer.
IE the state inspection flags.

At least on a computer when you do a COLD boot you don't have to wait for cold weather.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which box and fuse location is this?
Joule, this is the fuse box located under the hood, on the driver's side. Just pop off the black cover, and you'll see the layout of the fuses written on the inside of the cover. Just look for F34, labelled as VICM. There is a white plastic fuse puller located along with the fuses for your convenience.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts