GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Volt Family,
I need your help. I thought that there was a short with my 120 Volt Charger so I brought it in to the dealer to get it replaced. They gave me a new charge which did that same thing at my house. Now I'm starting to think it's our home. I charged the Volt with no issues from July until 2 weeks ago. I cannot get the volt Charger to show all green lights on any of the outlets in the house. I tested this GFI outlets and regular grounded outlets.
If it is me, what do I need to do?

Help! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
What model do you have? I'll assume a 2013 or 2014 which does not have the amperage selector switch on the cord housing. These things are amazing at detecting problems with the supply current and flat-out refuse to work if there is a problem. It could be a poor ground, a poor neutral, an out of spec voltage, or even an internal fault. The first thing to try is going somewhere else and plugging in. If you get a successful connection at a different house, you have a problem with your whole house that requires a call to an electrician. Are you using an extension cord? I managed to convince myself that there was a problem with the outlet when in fact, it was a poorly crimped ground wire in the extension cord I was using. If you get out a voltage tester, you can measure all possible combinations of hot-neutral, hot-ground, and neutral-ground. You should be reading 120V for both hot-neutral and hot-ground and less than 1 volt neutral-ground. Plug in a space heater or curling iron and re-test the voltage at the other receptacle to see how much voltage drop happens under load. You shouldn't see more than 5 volts lost when a high-draw load is turned on.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If it is me, what do I need to do?
If you have to ask, you need to call an electrician. One who has some Volt experience would be best......if you can find one.

But first, you need to test it someplace else....at work or at a neighbors house.
Maybe you have done that already but it wasn't stated in your post.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Call a qualified electrician. While they are there have them instal a commercial specification grade or hospital grade outlet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will contact an electrician. I have a 2011 Volt and I have a brand new 120v charger from Chevy. The weird thing is I can charge sometimes but 80% of the time I get the blinking red lights. It actually all goes green after the first click, but then blinks red. I have an older home but the outlet I used was installed by a professional electrician when I bought the house. Would unplugging everything in my house and then attempting to plug in be worth my time? Maybe an electronic or outlet is creating this problem?
Thanks for the help Volt Community!
It's been very sad seeing my MPG go from 500+ to 235....:-(

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I will contact an electrician. I have a 2011 Volt and I have a brand new 120v charger from Chevy. The weird thing is I can charge sometimes but 80% of the time I get the blinking red lights. It actually all goes green after the first click, but then blinks red. I have an older home but the outlet I used was installed by a professional electrician when I bought the house. Would unplugging everything in my house and then attempting to plug in be worth my time? Maybe an electronic or outlet is creating this problem?
Thanks for the help Volt Community!
It's been very sad seeing my MPG go from 500+ to 235....:-(
Since you have tried the unit on multiple outlets (and I hope different circuits from your main circuit-breaker panel), you should try it on a neighbor's house or at the dealer or a business. If it occurs at the other places, then forget the electrician, take the car and the charger to the dealer and let them figure out what is wrong. It is likely the charger system in the car.

On the other hand, if plugging into the dealer or neighbor or another business' plug works, then it is wiring in your house. It could be a loose ground or neutral connection. ...or something more complicated, so an electrician would need to do some troubleshooting. It could maybe even be too low a voltage at your house.

Please report back what you find.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Please tell us you are NOT a resident of that Chicago suburb that seems to have the worst power infrastructure in the US.

·
Registered
767 Posts
What Suburb is that?
The City itself, Cook County, is a pretty sorry mess power wise in most places but I don't remember any particular
suburb that had a bad reputation. Comm. Ed. which serves much of the area is a pretty big joke too.

(But I guess you know all that already.....since you live there.)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Please tell us you are NOT a resident of that Chicago suburb that seems to have the worst power infrastructure in the US.
Upper5 and EasyRider: You write in generalities about some suburb, or the entire city and Cook County having a bad power infrastructure. What are the symptoms... lots of outages? Voltage problems? or what? I am curious.

·
Registered
767 Posts
What are the symptoms... lots of outages? Voltage problems? or what? I am curious.
All of the above from what I've heard.
I have lived near Chicago for about 40 years but never IN the Com. Ed. service area.
Those who actually LIVE or work there will have to fill in the actual details.

I think that aging infrastructure is a big part of the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts