GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-A couple days ago, my 2013 Volt started failing to charge when plugging into L2 240V EVSE's (including my home EVSE and 3 different public charging stations), yet it still charges fine on the OEM L1 120V charger.

-A Chargepoint L2 charging station that I tried yesterday gave this error message: "GFCI Type 1 Hard Fault".

-This morning I inspected the Volt's charge port and found nothing unusual. I even tried cleaning the 3 main pins with a (dry) Q-tip, but that didn't fix anything.

-There's no MIL/check engine light or other messages coming from the car.

So I'm confused and ready to take it into the dealer for service/troubleshooting, but curious if anyone on the forum might have an idea of what's going on? Any help would be appreciated. :)

(Here are some other possibly-relevant details:

-My home L2 EVSE is one of the SPX Voltec units which has a poor reputation for unexpectedly going bad, and it was with this EVSE that the problem first appeared, so my first thought was that the problem was with the EVSE itself and not the car. After plugging in, the left-side LED on the EVSE is solid green and the right-side LED is blinking red, which indicates a "charge station fault" according to the manual. Per the manual I tried resetting the EVSE by switching off power at the circuit breaker, but to no avail.

-Several days before it stopped working, I noticed my home SPX L2 EVSE flashing this same red light for a couple seconds after plugging in and before it started charging. I didn't think much of it at the time since it ultimately still worked and charged fine. But in hindsight, this seems like maybe it was an early warning sign of problems to come.

-Before having the public charging stations fail, when I still thought the problem was with my home SPX EVSE, I tried opening it up to see if I could identify and obvious problems inside. I couldn't. Both of the fuses are still okay. All of the wiring connections seem tight.)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Since it fails on multiple L2 charges a trip to the dealer is in order.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
I had a similar experience. OnStar could not see any codes.

The car would not charge at 240V (tested two different EVSE's), but would charge at 120V.

The dealer identified two error codes: PIC5920E and Code S1E98 Doc 2413251

A main battery component (not a cell) was failing. The dealer had to order a new part. (two weeks). Parts: 022911435 Module, 023209396 Relay. I could have continued driving the car while waiting for the part but the tech cautioned that if there was a complete failure, the car would need to be towed in.

My post: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?227426-Mystery-CEL-amp-S1E98-P1EC4-error-codes

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar experience. OnStar could not see any codes.

The car would not charge at 240V (tested two different EVSE's), but would charge at 120V.

The dealer identified two error codes: PIC5920E and Code S1E98 Doc 2413251

A main battery component (not a cell) was failing. The dealer had to order a new part. (two weeks). Parts: 022911435 Module, 023209396 Relay. I could have continued driving the car while waiting for the part but the tech cautioned that if there was a complete failure, the car would need to be towed in.

My post: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?227426-Mystery-CEL-amp-S1E98-P1EC4-error-codes
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Seems like there are a couple differences in the symptoms on my Volt vs what yours experienced. First, yours had a CEL showing whereas mine does not. And second, in your post you mentioned that the L2 EVSE would charge for ~15 minutes before cutting out, whereas mine shows a fault right away and doesn't start charging at all.

Still, I wonder if there could be related root causes at play.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dealership says that they traced the problem to the "battery charging module". Not sure exactly what that is, or if the guy used the correct name of the part he was describing. (He didn't sound too confident when saying it.) I tried searching the forum for "battery charging module" to no avail. Maybe it's the same "module" that Steverino mentioned above(?).

Anyway, he said they'll order a replacement part and have it back to me by tomorrow. :)

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Sounds like it's the 3.3 kW charger (located behind the front bumper, in front of the wheel well liner).

3.3 kW charger.jpg

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update: After they replaced (what we think is) the charger, there was still a problem, which they're now saying is in the charge receptacle/port. Something about "too much resistance". So now they're going to replace the receptacle. :rolleyes:

I don't know how much sense any of that makes. But whatever... under warranty. :p Just one more day for me to wait.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Surprised they did not go with that first. My first 2013 had the port replaced after about a year. I think there have been quite a few 2013s that had this replaced.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surprised they did not go with that first. My first 2013 had the port replaced after about a year. I think there have been quite a few 2013s that had this replaced.
Any idea what the root cause is with the charge ports going bad? I see a few other threads on the topic, but no real discussion of what the specific problem is.

My first thought is that the only "electrical" parts within the charge port assembly would be pins, wires, and connectors. Not much to go wrong there unless there are bad crimps, or something like that. :confused:

·
Registered
907 Posts
As in rain, freeze, crack! cycles... I suspect.
Not that I would know about that here in TX :)
(ok, maybe once a year)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No rain in my situation. At least not within a few weeks of the issue surfacing.

98% of my charging is in my garage, and I think I last charged while out in a light rain maybe a month ago.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
No rain in my situation. At least not within a few weeks of the issue surfacing.

98% of my charging is in my garage, and I think I last charged while out in a light rain maybe a month ago.
I charge in the garage too. My issue wasn't outdoor charging, it was happening after the car sat in a parking lot during a downpour. It wouldn't charge for a day or so after I got it home. This happened twice so the second time GM engineering told my tech to replace the charge port. Haven't had an issue since. I had no error codes at all. The car didn't recognize that anything was plugged into it.

I have a feeling your problem might be similar to Steve's, since they already changed the charging module. It's just a feeling.

I inspected my old charge port and saw no obvious damage. What I did notice is how the harness connector sits well below the port inside the wing. Any water getting in could easily run down the wires or the bracket and play havoc with the control pilot. For reference:

The J1772-2009 connector is designed for single phase electrical systems with 120 V or 240 V such as those used in North America and Japan. The round 43 millimetres (1.7 in) diameter connector has 5 pins, with 3 different pin sizes (starting with the largest), for each of:

AC line 1 and line 2
Ground pin
Proximity detection, and control pilot
120V or 240V uses the same pins. I wonder if your tech may be chasing a ghost at this point. I don't see any benefit to changing the charge port, but that's how ghosts are - here and gone and you wonder if what you just saw is real.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just picked up my Volt from the dealer. On the print-out that I got it said:

"No DTC... high resistance in charge port receptacle circuit... replaced charge port receptacle."

The receptacle part number was listed as "23281030".

On a side note, I was relieved to find that they listened to my instructions to refuse the "Unintentional Engine Running" recall "fix". No triple-honks for me. :)
(I filled out and signed a form to formally refuse the recall and take it off the official list of recalls to install on my Volt, so I shouldn't have to worry about it getting installed in the future. But, don't worry, I'll be sure to notify any future buyer of this recall if I ever sell my Volt so that they can get it installed if they want it. The dealer confirmed that wouldn't be a problem for a future owner.)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
On a side note, I was relieved to find that they listened to my instructions to refuse the "Unintentional Engine Running" recall "fix". No triple-honks for me. :)
(I filled out and signed a form to formally refuse the recall and take it off the official list of recalls to install on my Volt, so I shouldn't have to worry about it getting installed in the future. But, don't worry, I'll be sure to notify any future buyer of this recall if I ever sell my Volt so that they can get it installed if they want it. The dealer confirmed that wouldn't be a problem for a future owner.)
Ahhhh dude! I didn't even know that was an option. Wish I could take it back and remove it.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Every once in a while when the car won't charge with the L2 charger, I found if I plug in the L1 first for about 5-10 minutes, then plug the L2 back in, it worked fine. It's only happened maybe three times, but swapping chargers worked every time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts